Hong Kong
Joined 6137 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 177 of 346
04 December 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I don't really see the point of this thread. It will only offend learners and speakers of
the languages named by others and not really help anyone learn their own languages any
better.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Envinyatar
Diglot
Guatemala
Joined 5331 days ago

147 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 178 of 346
04 December 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Asiafeverr wrote:
I don't really see the point of this thread. It will only offend learners and speakers of
the languages named by others and not really help anyone learn their own languages any
better.

I find this thread very educational. We often discuss the numerous factors people like about certain languages, in this thread we can learn what drives people away from languages.

But yes, most people seem to take it personal. Languages are often synonyms of cultures or even races but I'd hope most readers of this forum are mature enough to understand that someone can dislike how French sounds (for example) but still be deeply in love with Sophie Marceau, enjoy French cuisine and love their people and culture, or dislike Scandinavian languages (another example) and still love sagas and gorgeous blond women.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5316 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 179 of 346
04 December 2009 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Envinyatar wrote:
I think he clearly stated that his reward is speakers he can converse with, not literature or linguistics.

You are right! I don't know how I could miss that. Anyway, I'm sure talking to Björk would be rewarding.

burgler09
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5843 days ago

72 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 180 of 346
07 December 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
ewwww FRENCH!
3 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 181 of 346
08 December 2009 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I would have to say something like Vietnamese, or a Native American language. I wouldn't count out all Asian languages, because someday I REALLY want to learn Japanese, but I just don't have time for it right now, and I might be starting YET ANOTHER language so it can get really difficult for someone to pick and choose. I don't have use for Native American languages and I'm not sure if I would enjoy using it as much because many speakers are probably not native or as fluent as I would like them to be.
1 person has voted this message useful

nadia
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5309 days ago

50 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Hindi

Message 182 of 346
09 December 2009 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I think all cultures and languages are fascinating. I'd love to learn Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, but the hieroglyphs, tones, and quaint scripts, while being fasinating, really intimidate me. I do hope to get to them one day, as I adore those cultures. And Native American languages - wouldn't it be fantastic to know what they speak like and what concepts their languages include and so on? :)

The only language I wouldn't want to learn is Esperanto, because it doesn't have any culture attached to it. I mean, where's the literature, the cinema? And we already have English as the universal international language.

freakyqi
United States
Joined 5925 days ago

32 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 183 of 346
09 December 2009 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
nadia wrote:
... I'd love to learn Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, but the hieroglyphs, tones, and quaint scripts, while being fasinating, really intimidate me. I do hope to get to them one day, as I adore those cultures. ...

Don't be afraid of them! I'm learning Chinese characters and it's not nearly as confusing as it looks. True, there are thousands of characters, but they're all made up of only 214 parts. Once you start learning those parts (which can be grouped into themes, like "body words", "village words", etc) you can see how they're put together in different ways to make new characters.

For example the characters for "person" and "other/and", when put together, make the character for "him". Get it?

Check out some of those threads here... it's not so bad; remember, people who write hieroglyphs, characters, etc, are humans with the same brains we have! lol
:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

nadia
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5309 days ago

50 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Hindi

Message 184 of 346
10 December 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
freakyqi wrote:
Don't be afraid of them! I'm learning Chinese characters and it's not nearly as confusing as it looks. True, there are thousands of characters, but they're all made up of only 214 parts. Once you start learning those parts (which can be grouped into themes, like "body words", "village words", etc) you can see how they're put together in different ways to make new characters.

For example the characters for "person" and "other/and", when put together, make the character for "him". Get it?

Check out some of those threads here... it's not so bad; remember, people who write hieroglyphs, characters, etc, are humans with the same brains we have! lol
:)

Well, you really comfort me. We have a proverb in Russian, "Не боги горшки обжигают", which might be translated as "It is not gods who make pots / Not God but man makes pot and pan / It doesn't take gods to make pots." So I guess this applies to languages. :)

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version