United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6208 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 97 of 346
18 December 2007 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
JamesBates wrote:
Welsh is probably the most useless living language around. Why? For the simple reason that all (and I mean all) Welsh speakers are bilingual in English.

If you want to get a job in Wales, you better learn Welsh. So, you undermine its importance. Your argument could be used against many a language. Most Basque and Catalan speakers speak Spanish too. The same could be said about Hindi. No, not every Indian speaks English, but all the educated ones do. Why should anyone bother learning Hindi, James?   
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zorrillo
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6179 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 98 of 346
18 December 2007 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
There are plenty of languages more "useless" than Welsh. There are many languages with small numbers of speakers and hardly any printed material. Try finding a novel in Navajo. You can find plenty in Welsh. Same goes for the spoken language. It is much easier to find a Welsh speaker to converse with than a Greenlandic speaker.

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6249 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 99 of 346
18 December 2007 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
JamesBates wrote:
Welsh is probably the most useless living language around. Why? For the simple reason that all (and I mean all) Welsh speakers are bilingual in English.

Oh boy! Talk like that could get you lynched around here. :-)

I am a native born Welshman who was raised a monoglot English speaker. I learned Welsh as an adult.

First of all there are some people around still who don't use English much and are happier speaking Welsh. There are also plenty of young children who learn English in School and pre-school don't speak it.

There are plenty of people who prefer Welsh even though their English is perfect.
A little while ago I observed one of my Welsh speaking friends at a meeting. On her seat was a leaflet in English on one side and Welsh on the other, as is often done these days. When she picked up the leaflet she actually turned it over to read the Welsh side. This person's English is probably better than the average English speaker for she is a Doctor who obtained her degree from an English university yet she still chose her native tongue. Having Welsh opens doors.

Of course I love learning languages BUT my justification for learning Welsh was actually its usefulness. I do a lot of media stuff for voluntary organisations and it has proved very useful. In the last 2 months I have appeared on the Welsh language TV news three times.

There is a wealth of beautiful literature which actually dates back earlier than English Learning Welsh has literally been a life changing experience. The Monoglot English speaker Dylan Thomas's poetry obviously gains its greatness through knowledge of the workings of Welsh language poetic forms.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6039 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 100 of 346
18 December 2007 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
cymro wrote:
There are plenty of people who prefer Welsh even though their English is perfect.

knowing this makes me so happy :)
welsh is such a beautiful language and i would really love to learn it.
knowing that it increases in popularity is really great, i hope even more people will speak welsh in wales in the next years.
4 persons have voted this message useful

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6490 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 101 of 346
18 December 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Primal, which is probably inarguably the worst conlang, conceptually and in practice, ever.

Other than that, probably Spanish because of Bad Experience with Awful Teacher syndrome.
1 person has voted this message useful

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6599 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 102 of 346
21 December 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Probably Gaelic... It's not used that much often even by the Irish themselves...

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6098 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 103 of 346
22 December 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I would have to say one of the native american languages or Cantonese.

In other words difficult tonal languages that are needlessly complicated and in the case of native american languages-hardly used at all.

In some native americans that way you talk changes depending if your in water or on land or in a boat-something like that.

Imagine how hard it would be to become fluent and even then who to talk to?(with the exception of cantonese with lots of speakers ofcourse)

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6039 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 104 of 346
22 December 2007 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
but native american languages are so beautiful :)

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version