Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5980 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 193 of 346
15 June 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Artificial and dead languages don't appeal to me. Latin Hell no, MSA (whats the point if im going to sound laughably formal and end up only being able to communicate with the educated arab world), Esperanto .. you've got to be kidding me >_>.

the objectives of learning a language for me are:

1) being able to communicate with its speakers hence in my opinion the country/ies where its spoken should have considerable populations and be places that inspire me, for instance I don't want to learn a tongue clicking African language or something that Eskimos speak because frankly from my point of view such communities have nothing to offer me (an anthropologist maybe but not me).(I'm sorry if my examples offend anybody I'm just being frank)

2) MEDIA -- movies music literature the big three ... the sole reason why I began learning Japanese.

Note: the languages I choose to learn have to be popular enough to have decent learning materials too.

Edited by apatch3 on 15 June 2010 at 8:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 194 of 346
15 June 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately there's just not enough time for me to learn all the others first. ;)

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5403 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 195 of 346
16 June 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Well I wouldn't like to learn an artificial language, like Esperanto. One of the main
reasons of studying a language is the culture and being able to communicate with other
people. In fake languages you just don't get that.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iamrobertyee
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Philippines
Joined 5089 days ago

48 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, Cebuano*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin

Message 196 of 346
16 June 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I never heard of this Esperanto language before.. I tried to google it and found out that there is no country adopted this language, now I understand why they call it artificial language.

Yes learning language is like learning the countries culture so if there is no culture this language is of little use. One reason that we want to learn the language is to communicate with the people who are using it, and that is the most important part. I also put Esperanto as my least choice.

Tally wrote:
Well I wouldn't like to learn an artificial language, like Esperanto. One of the main
reasons of studying a language is the culture and being able to communicate with other
people. In fake languages you just don't get that.

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5201 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 197 of 346
16 June 2010 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
I too would have to go with Esperanto for reasons already mentioned here. I'm also not
very fond of the way French sounds (though it's distinct which is nice), and I wouldn't
be very eager to speak it... But nonetheless there are plenty of French speaking
countries which interest me, so given the chance to travel, I wouldn't hesitate in
bringing back my barely-existent knowledge from high school.

Edited by Tenebrarum on 16 June 2010 at 6:50am

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5139 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 198 of 346
16 June 2010 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
For me it'd be Spanish. I'm always around it. I guess since I am always around it, I find
it annoying (not trying to insult anyone, sorry if I do)

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5548 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 199 of 346
16 June 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Stupid thread but I would go with nothing. Learning a language should have nothing to do with how it sounds - this is a silly idea. Imagine 2nd or 3rd generation children of immigrant backgrounds not learning their own mother language just because they get the conception of it being "ugly".

Anyway, IMO I'm not very fond of many languages, namely: German, Spanish, Italian. Ironically I like Dutch, Portuguese and French. To me every language regardless has its own beauty. Many languages rely on the flow of the sentence, whereas tonal languages have imbued a musical quality into each syllable.
2 persons have voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5837 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 200 of 346
16 June 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto

^^ I can't believe people think that it's neutral. Not even the name is neutral. It means hope in Spanish (Esperar)

He should have come up with a better name. One that doesn't mean anything. One that's unique.

Maybe

Peto

Edited by John Smith on 16 June 2010 at 5:37pm

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version