Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4895 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 345 of 346
26 February 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I could simply say that I don't want to put in the time and effort to learn most of the world's languages, but that wouldn't be as much fun as breaking things down.

1. Any and all constructed/artificial languages. They would be a complete waste of my time.

2. Uncommon Languages whose speakers are also native speakers of much more popular languages. I'm specifically talking about all Native American languages, Gaelic, Welsh, Catalan, Romansch, and others like that. I can't fathom willingly going through what it would take to properly immerse myself and seek out the few speakers that I could find to interact with when I could just use a major languag instead. And for the first three this is doubly true since I could simply use my native tongue.

3. I don't care who this upsets: Languages that are virtually only spoken in the third world and/or other countries I in which I would never wish to spend much time. At the moment these include African languages, minor languages spoken in Latin America and much of Central Asia.

4. Any language with less than 1 million speakers.

5a. Spanish. I can easily acknowledge it's usefuleness, but I hate it. 5b.Arabic. It's sounds ugly to me and the dialect situation is very discouraging.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4284 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 346 of 346
27 February 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
French. I don't much like the sound of it and the spelling looks like a bit of a nightmare.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version