Triglot
United States
Joined 4376 days ago

39 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, German
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Gulf)

Message 313 of 346
09 July 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I would have to agree that Esperanto would be at the bottom of my list.

It isn't the language itself so much as the speakers of that language.

When I first mentioned a possible interest in learning that language, several people who spoke the language were very kind and helpful and offered me free materials and suggestions.

But the more time I spent with them, the more I saw their enthusiasm pass into zealotry.

They spoke of how this would eventually become the one "true" language that would replace English as the world's Lingua Franca.

They spoke of it becoming the one language eventually used at the UN, the EU, and even the Olympics.

They felt that classes in this language should become mandatory in order to help "speed the transition" and ensure fluency to more people in more places around the world.

They felt that parts of the UN budget, as well as individual nation's budgets should be set aside for this purpose.

I was smart enough to stay silent until one of them brought out the claim that is is easier to go anywhere in the world and get by with Esperanto than with any other language because so many people speak it worldwide.

I was silly enough to make the mistake of actually questioning that claim.
I pointed out that if their claim of 2 Million speakers worldwide is correct, then even if every single one of those 2 million is fluent in the language, the odds of finding one that speaks it in the majority of cities around the world - let alone being willing to accompany you all day every day in your travels - is still unlikely, at best.

I was immediately branded an 'elitist' and 'heretic' and accused of trying to subvert the language.

I was 'disinvited' from several chats and told I am likely "too stupid to learn the language anyway."

By the time all was said and done, I felt as though I had just escaped a cult.

Yes, there were a number of wonderful people I met who spoke the language and were willing to help without requiring a secret handshake.

But a large portion were people who did not tolerate questioning of their language, even as you were attempting to learn it.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 314 of 346
09 July 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Arabic and Mandarin.
1 person has voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4973 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 315 of 346
10 July 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Some language which was made up by linguists.
Like something that is considered a language only by a few people.
No offence.

Like: 6 Marwari languages :S

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 316 of 346
11 July 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
It depends on the reason... I feel like learning a dead language would be a total waste of my time because
there are no native speakers to talk to... Also, I'm not a big fan of languages that are heavily slurred sounding
like French, though I have considered trying it,

That's all my thoughts for now

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4838 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 317 of 346
16 July 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I can't pick just one, really I wouldn't learn:
*Indigenous languages
*Dead (or almost) Languages

Perhaps, I think I'd give a try to artificial languages (in fact, once I tried Esperanto). Yes, maybe those are not used in "real life" or don't have oficial status in any country, but I think that they may help you to familiarize with some rules/sounds/ideas from other languages.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4665 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 318 of 346
16 July 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Of the natural languages, I've got no real interest in Korean. Hebrew, which people are always asking me when I'm
going to learn (ergh), and Swahili, which seems to crop up too often in linguistics examples, are also high on the no
interest list. Of the Romance languages, French holds the least interest to me.

Persian and Sanskrit high on the list that I want, but the materials are all so terrible for the way my brain works.

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4628 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 319 of 346
16 July 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
mmm, does Elvish count? I mean, it sounds cool but I think I'll never get to visit
Lothlorien :-P

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4433 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 320 of 346
16 July 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I have the least interest in conlangs, but I haven't completely scratched them out.

Other than that, I'd say languages that I'm very unlikely to use in all areas: speaking, reading, and writing, etc. If I can't have access to any form of the language outside of my studies, then I'm obviously not going to put the time into it.

For example, I have an interest in Garifuna and Aymara, because I have at least a few friends who speak each of them, respectively, so despite the fact that Garifuna is a very small language, it doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Jappy58 on 16 July 2012 at 5:31pm

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version