Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5312 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 329 of 351
25 November 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

By which logical test could you discover that the former described a very real language spoken by 200 mio. humans or more somewhere in the far East and the latter a - once - constructed language spoken by a community spread thinly all over the planet?

Easy - what real language is that regular?
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5136 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 330 of 351
26 November 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I don't care about Zamenhof. Forget Zamenhof. Let's suppose you went to the library and found two language courses, one about Bahasa and the other about Esperanto. Let's also assume (somewhat unrealistically) that the latter didn't mention Zamenhof or the canonical 17 or so principles, but just gave factual information about the grammar plus some of the usual bland texts about daily life in a fictive community, complete with lists of words and short snippets of songs and some silly games. Something like Teach Yourself.

By which logical test could you discover that the former described a very real language spoken by 200 mio. humans or more somewhere in the far East and the latter a - once - constructed language spoken by a community spread thinly all over the planet?

I know I said I would refrain from further participation in this discussion, but I couldn't resist addressing this.

What you propose would be akin to handing someone a plain-cover book and letting her examine the binding, type of paper, dimensions and weight -but not the written content- and then having her make a “logical” conclusion as to whether it contains a literary masterpiece or a collection of cooking recipes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6341 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 331 of 351
26 November 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
whether it contains a literary masterpiece or a collection of cooking recipes.

Yeah, but you know what they say about analogies...

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5933 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 332 of 351
26 November 2010 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I don't care about Zamenhof. Forget Zamenhof. Let's suppose you went to the library and found two language courses, one about Bahasa and the other about Esperanto. Let's also assume (somewhat unrealistically) that the latter didn't mention Zamenhof or the canonical 17 or so principles, but just gave factual information about the grammar plus some of the usual bland texts about daily life in a fictive community, complete with lists of words and short snippets of songs and some silly games. Something like Teach Yourself.

I know I said I would refrain from further participation in this discussion, but I couldn't resist addressing this.

What you propose would be akin to handing someone a plain-cover book and letting her examine the binding, type of paper, dimensions and weight -but not the written content- and then having her make a “logical” conclusion as to whether it contains a literary masterpiece or a collection of cooking recipes.

I rather disagree with your analogy, and think that Iversen's was quite right. The actual language itself, I think, should be compared to the content of the book, because the actual words and usage of the language is the language. People are free to say whatever they like about its origins and background and review and criticize it, but that doesn't change the actual content of the book (or the language). All of that is on the cover (or on the back) of the metaphorical book. Like you said though, it's what's on the inside that matters.

Hoogamagoo
Diglot
United States
Joined 6342 days ago

14 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 333 of 351
26 November 2010 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
A good analogy for language might be schools of art or music.

Generally, schools of art and music develop somewhat organically. You can see how these
schools build on the previous ideas and break off into their own as technology changes
or the techniques distort over time and distance. Language is similar, as you can
follow etymologies of words and changes in grammar in the same sort of way.

Also, art, music and language are all tools for self expression and communication.

Imagine, if you will, an individual who develops a radically different method of
composition or painting or sculpture. One that is intellectually distilled from earlier
idea, but is really one person's idea.

Some examples might be Picasso and Braque developing cubism, or Schoenberg's
development of Twelve tone composition.

These developments certainly had opposition and a lot of people still consider cubism
and 12-tone to be trash and noise. Also, in the same way that Esperanto has a short
history and "no culture," the 12 tone system and cubism were cultural anomalies -
isolated, and without a tradition to build from.

By the way, I don't mean to make the brash suggestion that Zamenhof was a genius like
Schoenberg or Picasso - I just can't think of any similar cultural innovators off the
top of my head that might make the same point without that implication.

So, to ask a similar question. Is Cubism not worth studying because it is a distilled,
intellectual development rather than an organic extension of its contemporary art
forms? Is 12-tone composition not worth studying for similar reasons? You might not
like it, but shooting it down for being "unnatural" or because it doesn't have a
"culture" is not very reasonable.

Is Esperanto not worth studying simply because of that?

Edited by Hoogamagoo on 26 November 2010 at 4:41am

5 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 334 of 351
26 November 2010 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
I would be amazed if I ever encountered Esperanto in my life. That's just me though.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6494 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 335 of 351
26 November 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Iversen wrote:

Easy - what real language is that regular?

A valid point, but that's why I mentioned Bahasa - no morphology, no stable word classes, only derivations (and lots of them!) which for a learner in spe seem to be based on the whims of the speakers. Actually one of the things that are interesting about Esperanto is that explicit grammatical rules - including the morphology - are so few and limited that you have few chances of breaking any rule. What you can break is some habits which have developed over time, and even the community of Esperantists have over time developed such habits.

Edited by Iversen on 26 November 2010 at 12:29pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6494 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 336 of 351
26 November 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Iversen wrote:

On the contrary, I invited you to have a look at the content, leaving out any external knowledge about the languages .... that's exactly the opposite of what you suggest. Actually I had not even imagined that anyone could overlook my references to specific content and believe that I was referring to the cover and type of paper - how did that happen? In case it was my reference to Teach yourself, I mentioned that series because it exemplifies the kind of content and structure I had just described in the sentence before.

Edited by Iversen on 26 November 2010 at 12:27pm

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version