United States
Joined 5522 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 130 of 351
04 December 2009 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:

I see real potential in the idea of Esperantists having a specific tag/badge/pin that would allow fellow Esperanto speakers to identify each other, not just within their borders but the world over.

Esperanto has its own flag - a green field with a smaller white field in the upper left-hand corner, which in turn contains a green star. I'm too new a member here, I think, to be able to post links, but you can see it at Wikipedia's esperanto topic page.

The flag, and the green star itself are already well-known symbols of Esperanto within the movement. That's why whoever it was suggested putting one on his luggage in the first place.

1 person has voted this message useful

Hoogamagoo
Diglot
United States
Joined 6342 days ago

14 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 131 of 351
04 December 2009 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
tombstone wrote:

"Do you really think there is actual scientific data somewhere that supports the idea that the average person is able to learn Esperanto fives times faster than they would learn another language such as Spanish? Even four or three times faster?"

You listed 17 or 18 studies done from between 1918 and 1997, but you didn't list:
1. What was specifically studied.
2. What the findings of those studies were.
3. The criteria used to arrive at those findings.
4. If the findings were verified by an independent party.

Is this better?

Quote:

Columbia University, New York (USA)

Years: 1925-1931
Aims: research on the question, if and to what degree a planned language can be more easily learned than an ethnic language.

Note: the experiment was organised on order by the IALA (International Auxiliary Language Association) by Dr. Edward Thorndike, director of the psychology section of the institute for pedagogic research at Columbia University.

Conclusions:

it is possible for the average student to understand written and spoken Esperanto in 20 hours better than he can understand French, German, Italian, or Spanish after 100 hours 5 hours of study to learn German give practically no results; 5 hours of Esperanto study are enough to give a general idea of the grammar of the entire language; in general, in a time limit from 10 to 100 hours of study, the results acquired in the study of a synthetic language are practically from 5 to 15 times better than those obtain after the study of an ethnic language, according to the difficulty of the latter (Eaton, p. 6-7); for native English speaking students, the results of studying Latin, German, or French are better if such study is preceded by that of a planned language, as preparatory introduction (Eaton, p. 27-30).

Sources:
Edward Thorndike, Language Learning. Bureau of Publications of Teachers College, 1933.
Helen S. Eaton, "The Educational Value of an Artificial Language." The Modern Language Journal, #12, pp. 87-94 (1927)

Interestingly enough, the Ekparoli study that I cited earlier has some of statistical data to demonstrate that primary school children prefer learning Esperanto over another language. It's a pretty small sample, and doesn't take into account the idea that Esperanto had a certain novelty to it in the course of the field study. Of course, if the kids were relatively comfortable in the language after a month's instruction that might play a role, too.

I have more data, if you'd like. I just didn't want to do one of my standard 'copy and paste' giant posts.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sawasawaya
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

5 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 132 of 351
04 December 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Shifting the topic slightly...

Recently, at my local library's used book sale, a title caught my eye: 'Esperanto - The Aggressor Language.' I was stunned. Esperanto? Aggressor?

It turned out to be a US Army Field Manual from 1962. Quoting from the Foreword:

"Esperanto has been adopted as the official language of Aggressor, the Maneuver Enemy. It may be modified by local usage or supplanted by the language of the local area. The primary benefit of using a different language is its contribution to the realistic intelligence play in training exercises. Where personnel are available with a proficiency in a foreign language, intelligence documents may be prepared in that particular language and injected into the exercise. This Esperanto Supplement has been compiled for use where trained linguists are not available."

In my own mind this raises lots of questions as to what extent the military used Esperanto and how successfully they did so, but what brought a sad smile to my face was the little disclaimer the military felt it had to insert:

"Although Esperanto has been adopted as the official Aggressor language, it is not intended to prohibit the oral or written use of any foreign language or dialect by prisoners of war, casualties or other Aggressor personnel, or in the preparation of documents for use in intelligence training."

During the height of the Cold War they had to spell out clearly that they were not going to be hamstrung with Esperanto.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5777 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 133 of 351
04 December 2009 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
For Tombstone: here's a link to Claude Piron's article responding to linguists' opinions on esperanto, specifically from a site called "Ask a Linguist". Apparently there are some linguists who are willing to give an opinion on Esperanto without investigating the facts, so I guess every group has members that don't necessarily follow the established facts ;)

Dainty
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

38 posts - 53 votes 
Studies: German

Message 134 of 351
16 December 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Another use for Esperanto that I do not think has been mentioned yet is as a "secret code".

At least, for my little sister.

You see, she and her best friend are getting irritated with the way their conversations are being overheard, so she mentioned that they were trying to work out a secret code.

I suggested Esperanto. :)

Then, because my little sister's homeschooled, I had to convince my mom that Esperanto is a worthwhile study, since otherwise my little sister's homework time is being wasted. At first she said no, so I told her about the studies on Esperanto and language acquisition. That won her over. :D

So now there are two new new Esperanto learners.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6261 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 135 of 351
16 December 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Dainty wrote:
Another use for Esperanto that I do not think has been mentioned yet is as a "secret code".

At least, for my little sister.

You see, she and her best friend are getting irritated with the way their conversations are being overheard, so she mentioned that they were trying to work out a secret code.

I suggested Esperanto. :)

Then, because my little sister's homeschooled, I had to convince my mom that Esperanto is a worthwhile study, since otherwise my little sister's homework time is being wasted. At first she said no, so I told her about the studies on Esperanto and language acquisition. That won her over. :D

So now there are two new new Esperanto learners.

Awesome! Btw, this is the premise of the book "Peter Jameson's secret language".

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5690 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 136 of 351
16 December 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
There are so many interesting languages out there, it seems to me there is no need or rationale for having artificial ones. It is like taking plastic flowers to a botanical garden.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version