Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 234 of 351
21 January 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
It seems that part of the puzzle is that you don't get much out of 1 year of classroom learning of Swedish or German, whereas as 1 year of classroom learning in each of these studies (or at least the ones I looked at) led to a high level of fluency in Esperanto.

I think there's something extra that you learn as you advance through all stages of learning a language and end with the satisfaction of having accomplished spoken fluency. For a long time, I was personally hindered by never having done this in any of the languages I had studied, so I didn't quite know how to proceed from a certain point. But I was great at quickly acquiring the basics of many of them ;)

On this I can agree to a point, since I have achieved at least basic fluency in French, German and Hungarian (I admit though that I've demoted the last two some time ago to "intermediate" because of disuse. However I'm confident that I can get those two back to fluency with some revision or re-immersion). In general I aligned more closely with the axiom that the more languages under your belt, the easier it usually becomes to learn subsequent languages. However, making a diversion by learning a third language to fluency in mid-stream while studying a second language as a way to boost confidence seems a bit odd to me. Then again, I'm speaking for myself and what I've seen done.

doviende wrote:

I don't think it's coincidence that most people I know left years of high-school language classes thinking "I'm just not good at languages" because they still couldn't read a book or watch tv or speak to someone they met on the street. This sort of experience permanently turned them off of language learning. This is why, in most cases, I would be wary of "priming" with Dutch in order to learn German. You'd just end up with a bunch of Dutch beginner/intermediate students who may not want to continue to German.

Also, I think it's rather unusual that these studies would show that 1yr Esperanto + 3yrs Other > 4yrs Other. For the reasons above, I think it likely that 1yr Swedish + 3yrs German will not be better than 4yrs German for these hypothetical Finns.

Is this a function of language instruction in the classroom itself on one hand or rather the characteristics of the language or degree of relationship/similiarity between the languages in question?

On this board, there seems to be a tilt that we're better off learning independently than in classrooms (or at least study in a classroom needs quite a bit of supporting independent study). I have seen the frustration that you mention above with people suffering through classroom instruction for languages, coming to the conclusion that they're no good with languages. However no one is incapable of learning a language, and we've already seen that a good part of it comes from motivation, background as well a perceived need for that language.

Esperanto classes aren't immune to poor teaching or demotivated students any more than classes in natural languages.

In addition, the study done in Sheffield concluded that among more intelligent students, the ones who went on to do best (i.e. also got active ability) in French as the original L2 within the 4 years were those who did French only. Those who did a year of Esperanto (effectively this becomes L2) ended up at a slightly lower level of mastery by being better passively rather than actively in French (L3 or the "original" L2).

On my examples of using similar languages as "bridge languages" to L3s, why should fluency in L2 be the taken as an indicator of success of this strategy? If the goal is to streamline the learning or mastering of German, then it shouldn't matter whether that year of using Dutch as L2 leads to fluency in Dutch. If you learn Dutch to fluency that's great, but you can't dismiss the benefits in acquiring German with a native background in English, and some background (not necessarily fluency) in Dutch.

I've just realized that Estonian and to a smaller degree Hungarian have indavertently acted as "bridges" to my current study of Finnish. I can tell you now that if I had learned Esperanto (even to fluency) it wouldn't have had a bearing on my feelings or confidence in realizing my current plan of working towards basic fluency in Finnish. I know that I can learn anything when I put my mind to it and give an honest effort. As it relates to Finnish, my knowledge of the quite similar Estonian (no matter that I'm not fluent in it) and more distantly-related Hungarian (no matter that I'm no longer fluent in it) has prepared me better than anything else to grasp the contents of my Finnish course.
1 person has voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5832 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 235 of 351
17 June 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Yes. We should be saving endangered languages not promoting fake ones.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5869 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 236 of 351
17 June 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
That was a very short post to bump up a six month old thread with - would you perhaps
care to elaborate on your reasoning behind choosing an endangered language over an
artifical one?

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5832 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 237 of 351
18 June 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
I'd try to save some of the grammatical features found in very rare languages/lesser used languages to preserve humankind's linguistic heritage.

Also I would have used a lot more Greek words in Esperanto. Many languages have a lot of Greek words in them so they would be easy to learn. For example the word atmosphere is made up of the Greek words atmos (vapour) sphere (ball). This would allow people to understand scientific words better. Hippopotamus is another example. Greek hippo=horse, potamus=river.

Esperanto doesn't offer you this kind of insight.

QuizD
Triglot
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

8 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 238 of 351
20 June 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Esperanto is a good secret language.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5832 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 239 of 351
20 June 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
really? I can understand a lot of Esperanto even though I have never studied it!!!

Hoogamagoo
Diglot
United States
Joined 6341 days ago

14 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 240 of 351
22 June 2010 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
I'd try to save some of the grammatical features found in very rare
languages/lesser used languages to preserve humankind's linguistic heritage.

This intrigues me. It kind of sounds like you want to construct a language that is
composed mostly of rare grammatical features. Either that or you want to artificially
incorporate those features into currently popular tongues. Yet, neither of these
implied solutions seem consistent with your previously expressed disdain for "promoting
fake languages."

It might interest you to know that Esperanto was actually designed, in part, to
preserve languages. Esperanto's theory was to act as a bridge. The idea is that if
everybody sticks with their native tongue as their first language and takes Esperanto
as a supplemental language, then the native tongues would be preserved, because you'd
only use Esperanto in places where you weren't comfortable with the local tongue. The
main historical example that is cited to demonstrate how this could work is the Native
American sign language that many of the scouting groups learn. This was a real language
devised as a bridge language. It worked successfully and several languages coexisted in
the same area for some time (although we have no idea for how long). The unique tribal
languages were preserved in this way. That's how Esperanto is theoretically supposed to
preserve endangered languages.

Of course, the obvious argument is: if everybody spoke Esperanto, then over time there
should eventually be sufficient cross-linguistic interbreeding (between these bridged
Esperanto speakers) so that Esperanto would become a more common first language
(assuming the parents just let the child learn Esperanto first, since it is their
common language) and invalidates any preservative value that it had. End result: One
language dominates and kills all the other languages, anyway. In fact, it's worse
because Esperanto has such persistent rules that it is less prone to dialectical
variations than natural languages. Esperanto can always go back its roots, English can
become completely incomprehensible over time and distance and has the potential to
develop into completely new languages.

I present the obvious rebuttal (which I'm sure has already come up somewhere in this
thread somewhere), so that we don't have to deviate from your solution to the
endangered language problem, which is what really intrigues me. Also, I can probably
safely say that there are no Esperantists who can realistically imagine the day when
Esperanto is spoken so widely as to threaten any of the dominant languages of the
world... only a few very worked up anti-Esperantists can see that happening.

I wanted the context of the theory behind Esperanto's language preserving technique
laid out before you explained in greater logistical detail about how you would "save
some of the grammatical features found in very rare languages/lesser used languages to
preserve humankind's linguistic heritage."

Hoogamagoo

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version