Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 351
02 January 2007 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
T0dd wrote:
Another example is "korŝira", which literally means heart-tearing, but which we would render in English as "heartbreaking".

Perhaps "heart-rending" then, which has that exact literal meaning. Or does it feel too old-fashioned ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6549 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 18 of 351
02 January 2007 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
One place you can actually put your Esperanto to use if you have any is at the Int'l Academy of Science in San Marino. Apparently it's a university with all classes taught in Esperanto. Student theses are written in Esperanto plus the student's native language. Link

As an odd side-note, former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev is a faculty member.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 02 January 2007 at 4:27am

T0dd
Diglot
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

17 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: French

Message 19 of 351
02 January 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
And as I've understood it, Esperanto is supposed to be easier to learn than most natural languages. Is that so? How much faster is it? Say you're studying an hour a day. How long time will it take to be able to attend Esperanto festivals and speak with the others freely?

If nothing else, I want to learn it because it's kooky. I like kooky.

You'll find that there is a definite kooky fringe within the Esperanto movement itself.

Since you're already familiar with English and French, you can expect to pick up the Esperanto vocabulary fairly quickly. One thing that slows down language learning is memorization of details that have no semantic payoff, such as grammatical gender. Irregular plurals and verb forms also take extra time to learn. The learner of English must memorize a large number of idiomatic phrasal verbs. Then there are rules that apply only some of the time, etc. In English, your skin can redden, your hair can whiten, but nothing can ever greenen, yellowen, or brownen. In Esperanto you can use one form with all the colors, and anything else.

I would never claim that Esperanto is "easy," because learning a new language is never easy. You still have to learn to express yourself in that language. But the thing that makes learning the first non-native language difficult is the tendency to try to translate straight from one's native language. Once this habit is broken, language learning gets easier. I would say that if you're already past this barrier, then an hour a day of study would get you to the point of being able to engage in simple but meaningful conversation within a couple of months, especially if you get some audio material and/or go to that Esperanto house for conversational practice.
6 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 20 of 351
17 January 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
One reason I can think of to learn it is to help the learning of subsequent languages. Every language you know helps to make new languages easier to learn, no?

Other than helping you improve you learning techniques, or learning the occasional aspect that "crosses over" to another language, I'm not sure this is true. I haven't experienced it. But there are many other good reasons to learn esperanto.

T0dd
Diglot
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

17 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: French

Message 21 of 351
18 January 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Personally, I think the *first* new language that one achieves real competence in is the one that helps to break through that psychological barrier that many people have. I don't think it matters if it's Esperanto. The only advantage to Esperanto, for this purpose, is that one can get to that level faster.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tujiko
United States
Joined 6314 days ago

140 posts - 144 votes 

Message 22 of 351
18 January 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Agreed. What matters is that one reaches that "hey, it's possible" level in at least one. From there, if one chooses, other languages are possible. But reaching a conversational level in at least one language first is a very good idea.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 351
18 January 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
T0dd wrote:
Personally, I think the *first* new language that one achieves real competence in is the one that helps to break through that psychological barrier that many people have. I don't think it matters if it's Esperanto. The only advantage to Esperanto, for this purpose, is that one can get to that level faster.

tujiko wrote:
Agreed. What matters is that one reaches that "hey, it's possible" level in at least one. From there, if one chooses, other languages are possible. But reaching a conversational level in at least one language first is a very good idea.

That sounds right. The reason I bring it up is that someone used this argument, or a variation of it, to try to convince me to learn Esperanto. This was after I already knew several languages fairly well. But I will learn Esperanto eventually - I like the whole community thing they have going on. Question - on the average how many languages do Esperantists speak?   

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 24 of 351
18 January 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Ari wrote:
One reason I can think of to learn it is to help the learning of subsequent languages. Every language you know helps to make new languages easier to learn, no?

Other than helping you improve you learning techniques, or learning the occasional aspect that "crosses over" to another language, I'm not sure this is true. I haven't experienced it. But there are many other good reasons to learn esperanto.

This thread begs to differ. I'm especially interested in this:

Darobat wrote:
In numerous studies, there were two test groups; one group of people who started learning French right from the start, and another group which was taught Esperanto before starting French. In all these studies, the group that began with Esperanto caught up to the French group and then surpassed them.

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version