Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5776 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 241 of 351
22 June 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I think the cultural aspect is important too. It's amusing to me how some English speakers fear that Esperanto will grow to engulf the world in monolingual tyranny, when in fact it seems to me that they are just speaking in a way that reflects their cultural heritage. Native speakers of English tend to grow up in a culture of imperialism, both past and present, and that is sometimes reflected in our views. Because of this, we tend to think that what happened to our language (global dominance) evolved naturally or by accident (when in fact our leaders have aimed at that for centuries), and then when considering another language that might become widely used, we view it through the same lens.

On the other hand, I don't think there are many people who learn Esperanto without encountering the corresponding culture of inclusiveness, neutrality and fairness. It's part of the history and current culture of the language.

As to whether Esperanto can actually achieve wider usage, I think these sorts of events are not necessarily linear. It won't be 1000000 one year, 1100000 the next, 1200000 the year after. It will more likely be due to some sort of critical event or situation that catapults it to recognition. Something like the EU or UN recognizing it as a working language...which has been proposed many times in the past, and almost came to be several times. I doubt it will happen in, say, the next decade, but it's not an impossible occurrence.

As another example, when I started using Linux in 1994, everyone told me it'd never be widely used at home or by businesses (and I believed them), but this year there were 1000000 (yes, with 6 zeros) new computers deployed in Venezuelan schools that all only run Linux, and most of the business at the datacenter where I worked until April consisted of Linux web servers.

5 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6936 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 242 of 351
22 June 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I think the question is entirely subjective. All of us have been told we are wasting our time doing something we wanted to do. Sometimes we are talked out of continuing.

No one can say that learning Esperanto is a waste of time. It may be a waste of time for you. Fine, no one is forcing you to learn it. Spend your time learning a language you find worthwhile.

Is it a waste of time to learn dead languages? Is it a waste of time to learn a language spoken only by a small number of people? How many people on the forum learn Icelandic when it is spoken by far fewer than those who speak Esperanto.

We can only decide what is worthwhile for us, not for others. If someone wants to learn Esperanto, why should we oppose it or tell the person that he or she is wrong for doing so.

I think train-spotting is a waste of time but I don't feel compelled to preach against it. People who study Esperanto derive pleasure from doing so. Should we deprive them of that pleasure?

I don't like the question but my answer is no if you want to learn it. For those who don't like the idea of studying the language the answer is yes, it would be time wasted for you.

Edited by fanatic on 22 June 2010 at 10:50am

9 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 243 of 351
22 June 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:

As to whether Esperanto can actually achieve wider usage, I think these sorts of events are not necessarily linear. It won't be 1000000 one year, 1100000 the next, 1200000 the year after. It will more likely be due to some sort of critical event or situation that catapults it to recognition. Something like the EU or UN recognizing it as a working language...which has been proposed many times in the past, and almost came to be several times. I doubt it will happen in, say, the next decade, but it's not an impossible occurrence.

That is a very interesting idea, and one that I am sure many of us have pondered in the past. However, I have to ask whether making Esperanto one of the official languages of the EU (or UN) would have much impact on its popularity

Look at it this way: most people who will need to participate in or read EU proceedings will already speak one of the languages that are currently used in EU discussions. Imagine if the EU stated, from now on they would recognise Khasi (an Indian language with around 1 million speakers) as a working language. Would this result in a large international increase in Khasi speakers? I would be surprised if it did. It may just end up being yet another translation target, thereby increasing costs and bureaucracy but with little impact on uptake of the language. I do not see why Esperanto would be any different.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5243 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 244 of 351
22 June 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
That is a very interesting idea, and one that I am sure many of us have pondered in the past.
However, I have to ask whether making Esperanto one of the official languages of the EU (or UN) would have
much impact on its popularity

Look at it this way: most people who will need to participate in or read EU proceedings will already speak one of
the languages that are currently used in EU discussions. Imagine if the EU stated, from now on they would
recognise Khasi (an Indian language with around 1 million speakers) as a working language. Would this result in a
large international increase in Khasi speakers? I would be surprised if it did. It may just end up being yet another
translation target, thereby increasing costs and bureaucracy but with little impact on uptake of the language. I do
not see why Esperanto would be any different.

I think Esperanto could succeed if the EU really promoted it. They would have to make it one of the working
languages, make information and publications available in Esperanto, make Esperanto an obligatory subject in
school, set up evening classes for adults, have signs in Esperanto in public spaces such as airports etc. I don't
think it will ever happen though.

Edited by tractor on 23 June 2010 at 6:23pm

Hoogamagoo
Diglot
United States
Joined 6341 days ago

14 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 245 of 351
23 June 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:

I think Esperanto could succeed if the EU really promoted it. They would have to make
it one of the working
languages, make information and publications available in Esperanto, make Esperanto an
obligatory subject in
school, set up evening classes for adults, have signs in Esperanto in public spaces
such as airport etc. I don't
think it will ever happen though.

I have a friendly bet going with a friend that there will be official EU documents in
Esperanto before we see kilometer per hour signs across the US highways or see major US
weather reports in celsius. :-)

gedamara
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5131 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German, Albanian*
Studies: French, English

Message 246 of 351
25 June 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
yyes it is a total waste of time as long as it is an artificial language,

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 247 of 351
25 June 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
gedamara wrote:
yyes it is a total waste of time as long as it is an artificial
language,

So is German. It's an artificial combination of various Central European
dialects/languages, many of which were mutually incomprehensible, with quite a lot of
French, English, Latin and Greek thrown in. The only difference is that standard German
had several hundred years to become the language of a powerful nation and the everyday
language of many of its citizens, while Esperanto only had one hundred years so far and
native speakers are still far in between.

Btw the French languages were mutually incomprehensible (when spoken) up until world war
1 - at which time the French government started imposing one language.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 25 June 2010 at 10:50am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5243 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 248 of 351
25 June 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Btw the French languages were mutually incomprehensible (when spoken) up until world war 1 - at which time the French government started imposing one language.

Didn't that start earlier, with the French Revolution?

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version