anthonylauder.c
Joined 5460 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 121 of 351
03 December 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:

If you're told "We don't say it that way", that means you did NOT do everything right.

Except that many idioms take many years of exposure to learn. There are likely thousands of idiomatic expressions in most spoken languages. So, you really can study hard and practice and absorb grammar and vocabulary and talk merrily for years - that is "do everything right" - and still slip up on idioms that natives have picked up throughout their lives. Maybe Esperanto hasn't had enough history yet for thousands of idioms to infuse themselves into the language, and so this makes it easier to avoid surprising the natives.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6261 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 122 of 351
03 December 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Actually, I commonly help my coworkers with those sorts of "we don't say it that way" expressions in English, and usually they've said something that is actually grammatically correct. It just sounds "old" or "weird" or something like that. It's hard to put my finger on it.

I had one guy ask me why he couldn't say a certain phrase (which I can't remember right now), but I had to tell him it was a correct phrase, but it made him sound like he teleported from the 1940s. I couldn't say why, but it reminded me of something from old black-and-white movies, so I told him a "better" way to say it.

Grammar just describes the space of utterances that are "correct", but not which ones are in use, which is usually unexplainable. There's usually no pattern, you just have to memorize a series of exceptions, which is a further limit on top of the "correctness" limit of the grammar.

That's the kind of utterance I meant. Not when you're screwing up on grammar, vocabulary or even word usage, though these are difficult in their own right, just those cases when nobody can give a reason other than "it sounds weird".

As for Esperanto acquiring these problems when there are more native speakers - Esperanto is not supposed to have native speakers, so I don't see this becoming a problem. Most Esperanto speakers also respect the idea of keeping Esperanto neutral. However, Esperanto native speakers turn up when mother and father come from vastly different linguistic backgrounds, met at an Esperanto meeting, now try to learn each other's language but obviously still find it easiest to communicate with each other in Esperanto. There are many cases of international marriages among Esperanto speakers, which is why it got the nickname "edzperanto" among some. (edz-per-anto, something like spouse-helper)

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5777 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 123 of 351
03 December 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

I think Esperanto would face this problem if it ever became successful enough to produce a substantial number of native speakers. The nativization/creolization process would undoubtedly result in preferred ways of saying things, and Esperanto would develop along the lines of a natural language with all the complexities and irregularities that entails.

Actually, this has already happened over the last hundred years of usage. There are some ways of saying things that are common now that were not common 50 years ago, or 70, or 100. The other ways are still "correct" and allowed, but for experienced speakers they apparently sound a bit "old". There have also been some big changes in what has been considered "correct" that weren't actually in Zamenhof's original proposals.

See Claude Piron's article Evolution is proof of life (und auch auf Deutsch), which details some of these changes over time.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 124 of 351
03 December 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I largely agree with what's been written over the last couple of pages, but there are a few caveats.

Esperanto does have a certain amount of fixed forms and changes, as doviende has said. People will occasionally correct uses of old forms, in my experience, though they'll usually just accept them. This isn't a problem in practice, as far as I've seen.

I once ran into an example where two fluent speakers refused to accept a grammatically correct but unusual form of a word usually used in a different form as a fixed phrase. Quite a few words including affixes are more or less bound to fixed interpretations as well - a trancilo, or 'cutting tool', is always a knife, not scissors (but a 'trancilego', or big cutting tool, isn't a fixed word in the same way, and can be used for things like scythes).

There are preferred ways of saying things, but Esperanto is much more open to new coinings and personal stylistic choices than any other language I'm aware of, which makes it quite a lot easier to express yourself not only understandably, but correctly. Claiming that anything logical goes isn't true with most speakers I've met, unfortunately, but it's still closer to this ideal than any other language I'm familiar with.

Esperanto has quite a lot of idioms, some coined by Zamenhof. I haven't seen them cause many communication problems.

Lastly, while most Esperanto speakers I've talked to think that most native Esperanto speakers have parents from the same linguistic background, Wikipedia claims otherwise.

http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denaskaj_Esperanto-parolantoj wrote:
Oni ĝenerale imagas, ke tio okazas plej ofte en familioj, en kiuj la gepatroj parolas malsamajn lingvojn, kaj renkontis unu la alian ĉe esperantaj kunvenoj. Tiaj familioj ja multas, sed tamen montriĝis, ke iomete pli ofte ambaŭ gepatroj de denaskuloj havas la saman denaskan lingvon. (En kelkaj internaciaj paroj oni ne interparolas en Esperanto kun la infanoj, ĉar oni volas anstataŭe transdoni la gepatrajn lingvojn; krome kelkfoje la paro loĝas en lando kun plia lingvo kaj oni timas superŝuti la infanojn kun sume kvar lingvoj.)

"One generally imagines, that this (native Esperanto speakers) most often occur in families in which the parents speak different languages and met each other at Esperanto conventions. There are indeed a lot of these families, but it has nonetheless been shown, that slightly more often both parents of native Esperanto speakers have the same native language. (In some international pairs one doesn't speak in Esperanto with the child, because one wants instead to provide the parental languages; otherwise sometimes the couple lives in a country with more languages and one fears to supersaturate the children with a total of 4 languages).

3 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5777 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 125 of 351
03 December 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
perhaps a bit off-topic, but for those curious, there appear to be at least two different verbs in Esperanto that can be said using "cut" in English, although I suppose that English "snip" or "shear" can't be done with a knife either.

tondi : to clip, shear, cut (with scissors); tondilo = scissors
tranĉi : to cut (with knife); tranĉilo = knife

3 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5320 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 126 of 351
03 December 2009 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I think Esperanto would face this problem if it ever became successful enough to produce a substantial number of native speakers. The nativization/creolization process would undoubtedly result in preferred ways of saying things, and Esperanto would develop along the lines of a natural language with all the complexities and irregularities that entails.

"Success" in terms of Esperanto would mean it becoming widespread as a second, not a first, language. In any case, the speech of native speakers is not normative in Esperanto, and is often just as influenced by the language they grew up surrounded by as that of any other Esperanto speaker. Native speakers of Esperanto represent a small minority of the speaker population, and I think it unlikely this would change substantially even if Esperanto became more successful and widespread.

Another point is that Esperanto is used for intercultural communication - you use it to speak to people who don't speak your language. This means there is always a strong pull towards saying things in as clear and internationally understandable way as possible.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5700 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 127 of 351
03 December 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Except that many idioms take many years of exposure to learn. There are likely thousands of idiomatic expressions in most spoken languages. So, you really can study hard and practice and absorb grammar and vocabulary and talk merrily for years - that is "do everything right" - and still slip up on idioms that natives have picked up throughout their lives. Maybe Esperanto hasn't had enough history yet for thousands of idioms to infuse themselves into the language, and so this makes it easier to avoid surprising the natives.

I may have misinterpreted your "doing everything right" to mean "didn't say anything wrong in that particular situation" while still being told you didn't say things right, sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that if you're in a situation where you've said something that's just "not how we say things", it's an honest mistake, and one that will hopefully be corrected - but it's not "doing everything right" in terms of that particular thing you said. And let's face it, if native speakers think there's something a little off about something we've said, then usually that means there is. There aren't always reasons, which is why we need to observe how the language is used, and do things that way, no matter how much sense it might make to us to say things another way, and work within the boundaries of the language we're speaking.

Of course it takes ages to learn all the idioms of a language (if that's even possible) but if you avoid using idioms you've never heard from a native speaker, then you're not going to slip up on an idiom - you knowledge will consist of "things I know are correct" and gaps, no category for "things I think might work, sort of, I'm not really sure". If you need an idiom you don't know then you will simply be missing that piece of information, a native speaker might have something to perfectly fill that slot to fit what they're trying to say, whereas someone who's been studying and using the language for years might still not have come across it and made that expression part of their active vocabulary. If we're in a situation where an idiom to express a certain concept is clearly lacking but we need to say something, then we can either rephrase somehow, or we can try something that makes some sort of sense even though we haven't observed native speakers express themselves in that way (one of my main language pet peeves). If you go with the latter then yeah, you might be told "we don't say it that way", and rightly so if you were wrong - then it's simply a correction of something you said that was incorrect. If you had previously observed that idiom used correctly by native speakers then you might've been able to come up with the right one, but if not, then all we can really do is continue to observe and keep trying to add more of these things we'll need to our own vocabulary, and hope for kind treatment if we do say something wrong.

So yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope we're on the same page.

Edited by Lizzern on 03 December 2009 at 5:58pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5715 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 128 of 351
03 December 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Mick, some other features that make Esperanto objectively easier:

- no noun genders, the definite article "la" is used for all and there is no indefinite one.
- conjugation: -as for all forms of the present tense, -is for all forms of the past tense (no distinction between simple past, perfect and progressive forms either), -os for all forms of the future, -us for conditional, -u for imperative & subjunctive. This applies to all verbs.
- one often-cited difficulty is that you have to add the ending -n to the object of a sentence if it doesn't follow a preposition (Accusative case). This is already offset by not having to learn the forms "me", "him", "her", "us" and "them" however, as personal pronouns also just add -n.
- no distinction between Accusative and Dative; a major difficulty for advanced learners of Romance languages (telephoner quelqu'un or telephone A quelqu'un?).
- free word order.
- each preposition has only one clearly-defined use. You will be able to confidently predict which preposition is right while English prepositions are mostly learned by exposure, with fluent speakers still making mistakes.
- knowing 500 word roots you can express yourself as well as with a vocabulary of 3000-5000 English word roots due to the easy conversion of word types plus the extensive affix system (great advantage for people who learn Esperanto as a first Indo-European language).

The entire grammar of Esperanto can be summarized on a folded A4-size leaflet, such as the German Esperanto Association often gives out. The biggest advantages though are the regularity, which doviende already mentioned, and the notion that Esperanto becomes your language once you speak it. That is, you can play with it, you can invent new ways of expressing something; as long as it is grammatical and understandable, nobody can tell you "We don't say it that way". In my opinion, "We don't say it that way" is the most frustrating thing for an advanced learner to hear. It means that you did everything right and yet native speakers can laugh at you.
Wow! Esperanto just gets more and more intriguing, especially the part about free word order.

Another thing I find remarkable is that Esperantists have managed to keep the language free of exceptions to its grammar rules, and I'm a little curious as to how this happened.

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version