Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 90 of 351
01 December 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:

-- The knife does cut both ways.
People who speak a language based on the Latin alphabet have their own unique and difficult set of learning hurdles when learning a language like Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu...

I admit that a new writing system is a bit of a hurdle. That said, Cyrillic should be a barrier for a very short period of time; the shapes of the letters are different, but it's essentially like the Latin alphabet in fairly fundamental ways. The other systems are harder, but can be learned - look at Chinese literacy rates.

Tombstone wrote:

And each of those languages have their own unique stumbling blocks for the learner.

RUSSIAN is a classic example:
The potential for required changes to word endings for multiple words within a single sentence based on the specific case requirements (nominative, dative, accusitive, genitive, instrumental, prepositional/locative) and whether or not that case is in the singular or the plural can be extremely difficult for many people.

"Mike left the building with his close friends Sheila and Lucy to go to the post office on Elm Street and mail Mary the box of colorful stuffed animals."

That sentence ^^^^ will definitely make a non-native Russian speaker have to pause and reflect before translating, and the topic involved is far from complicated.

And this doesn't take into account the idiomatic expressions or irregular declensions within the language itself.

If someone needs to pause and reflect before translating that, s/he simply isn't fluent in Russian.

It takes time to master grammatical features and gain the ability to use a language, and there can be a stage where people can haltingly conjugate and decline words but not use them flowingly - but there is absolutely nothing which forces a non-native speaker to stay at this stage.

1 person has voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5320 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 91 of 351
01 December 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I recently completed my teacher training in Norway, during which I learned about some interesting studies that have been done into Norwegian students' English abilities. One study took a sample of final year (19-year-old) Norwegian students, who had been studying English for 12 years. These were all students who were following the academic courses that would qualify them for university (not vocational students.) They were given the IELTS test to measure their reading abilities. The results showed that about 70% of them didn't have sufficient reading abilities in English to be able to cope with the kind of textbooks they were going to have to read during their university studies.

Even in a country with one of the highest levels of EFL competence in the world, people's abilities are quite shallow. Most young Norwegians can converse fluently in English and have good pronunciation. But they often have very limited vocabularies, and are unable to cope well with anything other than everyday situations.

Edited by davidwelsh on 01 December 2009 at 7:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5320 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 92 of 351
01 December 2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
I am still very curious about what is meant by Esperanto being neutral, and why this is desirable. It would seem to me that something that was consciously constructed by one person, with very particular (and somewhat extreme) political views and ends, would be very much less neutral than a language with its origins probably as far back as mankind itself, and that has developed for aeons with input from generations of people with no particular end in mind at all.

The neutrality of Esperanto - as I understand it - refers to it not belonging to any one nation or culture. When a native English speaker, for example, uses English to speak to someone who has English as a foreign language, there's an imbalance of power. The native speaker can express themselves more clearly, correctly, elegantly and easily than the foreign language speaker, who will always be second guessing themselves and making mistakes. This is certainly my experience, and I'm on both sides of this kind of situation on a daily basis.

Esperanto is neutral ground because both parties to the conversation give up the advantage of speaking their native language. It's also generally easier to express yourself well and clearly in Esperanto than in another foreign language.

Esperanto is not - and it not intended to be - politically neutral. The use of this kind of language in itself implies certain internationalist, humanist values. The "internal idea" of Esperanto has been an integral part of the use and propagation since its inception.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 95 of 351
01 December 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
Volte wrote:

Tombstone wrote:

And each of those languages have their own unique stumbling blocks for the learner.

RUSSIAN is a classic example:
The potential for required changes to word endings for multiple words within a single sentence based on the specific case requirements (nominative, dative, accusitive, genitive, instrumental, prepositional/locative) and whether or not that case is in the singular or the plural can be extremely difficult for many people.

"Mike left the building with his close friends Sheila and Lucy to go to the post office on Elm Street and mail Mary the box of colorful stuffed animals."

That sentence ^^^^ will definitely make a non-native Russian speaker have to pause and reflect before translating, and the topic involved is far from complicated.

And this doesn't take into account the idiomatic expressions or irregular declensions within the language itself.

If someone needs to pause and reflect before translating that, s/he simply isn't fluent in Russian.

It takes time to master grammatical features and gain the ability to use a language, and there can be a stage where people can haltingly conjugate and decline words but not use them flowingly - but there is absolutely nothing which forces a non-native speaker to stay at this stage.

-- You make my point for me.
A non-native speaker would stop and pause before translating that...in the beginning months.

Just imagine where they would be after studying "several hours a week" for "7, 8 or more years."

It would easily be overcome for the vast majority of people using the hours of commitment that WelschDavid states is far from enough to learn a language.

Within a short period of time you wouldn't have to stop and say, "Gosh, that is Genitive Plural so it would be..." Eventually you would just know.

The same with anything you would encounter in English.

Simple time, repetition, and quite frankly, getting your ears in tune to what sounds right would allow a person to overcome any English language obstacle.

The challenges of the Russian language are at first glance, just like English, daunting. But time, commitment, repetition, etc. will help you overcome it.

Certainly the majority of people studying "several hours a week" for "7,8, or more years" would be able to master something like that Russian quandry within the first couple of months.

The same would be for English. No doubt.

I did not specify the amount of time needed in my post. Most students are not going to be comfortable with cases after a couple of months.

Most students who study 'several hours a week' in classes really don't get very far. Look at the situation with French immersion education for English speakers in Canada - after years of being taught in French, a large majority can't really use it. The situation with normal languages classes is worse, not better.

You seem to greatly overestimate the results of traditional classroom language learning. Rather than speculating on what 'should' result, I recommend looking at the actual results.

Edited by Volte on 01 December 2009 at 9:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version