Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4958 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 257 of 351
09 October 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Of course, esperanto is complete waste of time, but it's not a problem...a hobby is
almost always useless.
But there is a real problem with learning esperanto: any real languages learning will be
incredebely difficult after that!

Then NEVER learn esperanto if you want to learn a real language someday!

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 258 of 351
09 October 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Lucas wrote:
Of course, esperanto is complete waste of time, but it's not a problem...a hobby is almost always useless.

That's rather debatable.

Lucas wrote:

But there is a real problem with learning esperanto: any real languages learning will be incredebely difficult after that!

What are you basing this on? It's contrary both to studies done on the propedeutic effect of Esperanto, and to everything I have seen; Esperanto conferences have the highest percentage of polyglots of anywhere I spend time, including language fairs. People like Sprachprofi and Professor Arguelles speak Esperanto... and no, Esperanto was not the last language they learned.

Lucas wrote:

Then NEVER learn esperanto if you want to learn a real language someday!

Your premises are false, and Esperanto is a 'real language', but you can read all the evidence by searching the web, so I see no point rehashing it.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4958 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 

Message 259 of 351
10 October 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your corrections, Volte...of course esperantists are polyglots as well (but
they where polyglots before they learned esperanto).
I just wanted to warn monoglots: esperanto is a very bad idea for a "first second
language".

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 260 of 351
10 October 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Lucas wrote:
Thank you for your corrections, Volte...of course esperantists are polyglots as well (but
they where polyglots before they learned esperanto).
I just wanted to warn monoglots: esperanto is a very bad idea for a "first second
language".

What is your warning based on, though? A gut feeling? Observation? A study I'm unaware of?

I've met plenty of Esperanto speakers who speak Esperanto as a first second language. Many/most seem to make at least as much progress with further languages as their monolingual peers. I've only met a handful that don't bother at all with further languages.

My Esperanto is at a higher level than any of my other non-native languages by now. Thus far, that's actually been extremely helpful - a lot of what I've picked up in improving my Esperanto from 'basic/mid basic fluency'* is a transferable skill, which I'm applying to decrease the number of errors and increase the naturalness of my Italian and German these days.

* I can imagine s_allard groaning at this description. Sorry!

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4958 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 

Message 261 of 351
10 October 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I have to admit my warning is based on gut feeling, nothing else.
:)

Moreover I have to say I agree with your "skills" theory: some of the skills are
transferable, and I understand it could help you for German and Italian. But I really
believe you overestimate the role of esperanto in the learning process...it just part
of the theory "the more languages you knows, the more it's easy to learn new ones".
And I think this theorie doesn't work for non-indoeuropean languages: my recent
experience taught me that having learned an "easy" (i.e. indoeuropean) language, like
slovak for me last year) is completely useless for a "hard" (i.e. not-indoeuropean)
langague, like mandarin for me now...

By the way I see you're studying japanese...do you sincerly believe that esperanto
helps you in learning japanese?

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5487 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 264 of 351
11 October 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
gedamara wrote:
yes it is a total waste of time as long as it is an
artificial language,

Sign languages are "artificial". Are they a waste of time too?

The issue of Esperanto notwithstanding, I would argue that most sign languages are not at
all artificial, they emerged just like spoken languages—naturally, spontaneously, and to
satisfy a much needed communicative function in deaf communities around the world.

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version