1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 73 of 351
30 November 2009 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:

Yes, it really is.

(....)

.... more accessible to everyone in the world, regardless of race, mother tongue, linguistic aptitude or economic background.

I agree with everything that David Welsh said. Finally somebody who has the same opinion as me - and a native English speaker at that!

-----
Dare to go against the stream and be a visionary!

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6261 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 74 of 351
30 November 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
English speakers are much less common even amongst speakers of romance languages, are VASTLY less common anywhere else. When I was in china, for example, I discovered just how few people there speak any English. The only place I found good English speakers in the large city I was in, was at Pizza Hut (where they hired specifically for English skills), some large tourist attractions, a couple of people at the airport, and some students at the prestigious university. Absolutely everything else I did in China was not possible to do in English.

It's the same experience I had. I was in Beijing in 2004 and even the people working at the Beijing Yuyan Wenhua Daxue (most prestigious school for foreigners to learn Chinese) were not able to speak English. On the streets, lots of random Chinese people said "Hello, how are you?" to me but couldn't say *anything* else.

I also was at the Universala Kongreso (biggest Esperanto conference, in a different country each year) while in Beijing and the Chinese people I met there spoke Esperanto very well, I had a lot of interesting conversations. It was already the second time that Beijing hosted the Universala Kongreso, the first time was in 1986.
Of course you still can't hope to just walk up to a person on the street and talk to him in Esperanto, but it is encouraging that so many people are learning Esperanto in China, Japan, Russia, Kazakstan, Iran, Western Africa and a whole lot of places where you wouldn't expect it. In fact, the movement in Japan, Brazil and Western Africa has more momentum than in Europe.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 November 2009 at 11:08am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6559 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 75 of 351
30 November 2009 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
In fact, the movement in Japan, Brazil and Western Africa has more momentum than in Europe.

There's actually an Esperanto journal published in Japan, with articles in Japanese and Esperanto. There's also a
Japanese religion that encourages the use of Esperanto among its followers. That said, I've yet to meet anyone who
speaks it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6230 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 76 of 351
30 November 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Quote:
In fact, the movement in Japan, Brazil and Western Africa has more momentum than in Europe.

There's actually an Esperanto journal published in Japan, with articles in Japanese and Esperanto. There's also a
Japanese religion that encourages the use of Esperanto among its followers. That said, I've yet to meet anyone who
speaks it.

As far as you know, at least. Most people I know face-to-face have no idea I speak Esperanto, because it simply doesn't come up.

2 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5777 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 77 of 351
01 December 2009 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Ya, I was thinking about this with regard to traveling. I'm thinking about sewing a little green-star flag onto my bag or something, just to see if anyone recognizes it and speaks Esperanto to me. I might try and do something similar for German and Chinese, except hopefully in some way that doesn't look like I'm trying to say that I'm from those countries. I definitely want something to encourage people to use those languages with me, though...something to start conversations.
4 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5320 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 79 of 351
01 December 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
I don't know how to break it to you, but if someone "devotes several hours a week" for "7, 8 or more years" to learning English and they still can't speak it "effectively" then English isn't the problem...They are.

As a language teacher I really have to disagree with this. People are different - some people find maths easy, others don't. Some find learning a language comes easily to them, others don't. Just because you find something difficult doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. And I'm afraid that research shows that the majority of school students gain only a superficial grasp of the foreign languages they are taught at school. It's only those who are particularly gifted, or who have the opportunity to spend some time living in a country where the language is spoken that really master it.

Of course this applies to other languages besides English, but English does present particular difficulties to learners (in terms of spelling, the complex tense system, the ambiguity of many words.) The difficulties are compounded when the learners' mother tongue is radically different from English, as is the case with Chinese and Japanese students of English for example. In English speaking countries, learners usually tackle languages that are quite similar to English (such as French, German or Spanish) and so don't encounter the same kinds of difficulties.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5460 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 80 of 351
01 December 2009 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:

As a language teacher I really have to disagree with this. People are different - some people find maths easy, others don't. Some find learning a language comes easily to them, others don't. Just because you find something difficult doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. And I'm afraid that research shows that the majority of school students gain only a superficial grasp of the foreign languages they are taught at school.

I have become increasingly convinced that such cases are where the teacher is not very good. Give the same students to a better language teacher and they will flourish. I have yet to meet a person who was bad at learning to speak a foreign language, once you have worked out what is blocking their fluency.

Look at what Michel Thomas did with the least able french speakers in an English school. Inspired by him, I have been teaching Czech to a few people who have attended language classes for at least two years and were getting nowhere. Within a few days I can get them speaking pretty fluently, and from then on they can teach themselves without a teacher getting in the way.

Edited by Splog on 01 December 2009 at 11:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version