Joined 5776 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 97 of 351
02 December 2009 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
doviende wrote:
Ya, I was thinking about this with regard to traveling. I'm thinking about sewing a little green-star flag onto my bag or something, just to see if anyone recognizes it and speaks Esperanto to me.

Just don't put the star on the front of your jacket, at least not when travelling in Germany...

Sorry, this makes no sense. Could you explain this please? Does a green star have some alternate meaning in Germany?
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6169 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 351
02 December 2009 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu is referring to the Nazis requiring Jews to wear yellow stars on their clothing.

I hope no one will use the introduction of Nazism into the thread to veer away from language learning.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 99 of 351
02 December 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I don't think wearing a green star is a problem in Germany, as it's different enough. Before it was common to learn many foreign languages, German policemen used to wear a green star as a sign that tourists could approach them for help and information in Esperanto. Nowadays, I know many Esperanto speakers who have a star (or the "melono") on their backpack or whatever. Otherwise, it's too easy not to notice that somebody speaks Esperanto.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 351
02 December 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
It sounds like a very practical thing - and it shouldn't be restricted to Esperanto. I suspect that much talk in English (outside English speaking areas) could be avoided if you could see which common languages you had to choose from.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 101 of 351
02 December 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
It sounds like a very practical thing - and it shouldn't be restricted to Esperanto. I suspect that much talk in English (outside English speaking areas) could be avoided if you could see which common languages you had to choose from.

Perhaps you could ask? I will not walk around with a bunch of flags like some tourist guide...

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 102 of 351
02 December 2009 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Before it was common to learn many foreign languages, German policemen used to wear a green star as a sign that tourists could approach them for help and information in Esperanto.

Really? When was this? Were policemen instructed in Esperanto, or did this only apply to policemen who happened to know it anyway?

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6558 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 103 of 351
02 December 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I have been to places where the staff or tour guides wore tags saying what languages they spoke, and they would
find someone to help you no matter what your language was.

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version