351 messages over 44 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 ... 43 44 Next >>
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5136 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 273 of 351
18 November 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I don't know. If there was some sort of "Jewish agenda" behind it, then Esperanto would feel weightier, more substantive, and even be interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

KokoWow
Slovenia
Joined 4912 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Slovenian*

Message 274 of 351
18 November 2010 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Juan, with Jews the Bible had a central place in their culture. Hundred years ago internationalists tried to establish Esperanto, but the problem was that they weren't concentrated in one place. People follow the path of least resistance. If you have a bunch of people that don't speak a common language, it's easy to introduce a language that they all would have to learn. But since most people around the world speak at least a bit of English, that's becoming less and less viable...

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5126 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 275 of 351
18 November 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 

I don't understand the references to "waste of time".
If you ...

- spend 20 - 50 hours learning Esperanto. (for free)
- communicate with people from different countries.
- visit some countries and your "Esperanto friends"
   take you to know their towns, offer you a place to
   stay at their homes, help you visit places outside
   the regular "tourist traps" ...
- receive some visitors from other countries and
   show them around your town.
- read books and magazines in Esperanto by authors
   from other cultures. (You will find thousands of them
   in the web)
- visit other countries, and even when the official
   language is English, or one of the languages that you
   have learned, it is much easier to make friends with
   Esperanto speakers.

- find it easier to learn another language.
- your "Esperanto friends" from the concerning
   country help you practice your new language.

Which part of this list is the "waste of time"?

In the USA millions of children "learn" Spanish in
School. Very few, if any, reach a level to be able to
use Spanish. Even those that could communicate in
school-learned Spanish, don't find many opportunities
to use it. Maybe that is a "waste of time" (and money).

Spanish is my first language, and I wish that the whole
world would speak Spanish ... but that is not the case.

Many people say that most of the people of the world
understand English. That also, is not the case.
Many people in the USA have a hard time understanding
spoken Australian or The-Queen's-English.

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6700 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 276 of 351
18 November 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
KokoWow wrote:
To make Esperanto a viable language, it has to be done something similar to what the Jews did with Hebrew - they started speaking it and passed it onto their children as the main or only language. But I just don't see this coming...

Some esperantists do, I'm told. The teacher we had (a Swedish guy) is raising his kid(s) in Esperanto. People active in the "Esperanto community" probably know of more examples.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5312 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 277 of 351
18 November 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Enriquee wrote:

I don't understand the references to "waste of time".
If you ...

[...]

Which part of this list is the "waste of time"?

All of it. The number of people "from different cultures" you can coomunicate with in English, which you already know, is about a thousand times greater. You can use it for travelling, reading millions of books, many of the best of which were written in English in the original.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6261 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 278 of 351
18 November 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
KokoWow wrote:
To make Esperanto a viable language, it has to
be done something similar to what the Jews did with Hebrew - they started speaking it
and passed it onto their children as the main or only language. But I just don't see
this coming...

Some esperantists do, I'm told. The teacher we had (a Swedish guy) is raising his
kid(s) in Esperanto. People active in the "Esperanto community" probably know of more
examples.

Afaik no Esperanto-speaking couple teaches their kids ONLY Esperanto, they raise them
bilingually or trilingually. Hokan Lundberg is the most active male Swedish Esperanto
teacher; if you mean him, he's raising his kids in Swedish, Serbian and Esperanto. I
personally wouldn't even do it because it's not the purpose of Esperanto to become a
native language. Also, it makes a lot more sense to me to, say, raise a kid in German
and Mandarin and have him learn Esperanto later on his own; much more efficient than
raising him in German and Esperanto and have him learn Mandarin later.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6700 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 279 of 351
18 November 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Afaik no Esperanto-speaking couple teaches their kids ONLY Esperanto, they raise them bilingually or trilingually. Hokan Lundberg is the most active male Swedish Esperanto teacher; if you mean him, he's raising his kids in Swedish, Serbian and Esperanto. I personally wouldn't even do it because it's not the purpose of Esperanto to become a native language.

Hokan is the guy, yes. I was under the impression that he speaks Esperanto with the kids, his wife speaks Serbian, and I suppose that the kids get Swedish from friends etc.

Sprachprofi wrote:
Also, it makes a lot more sense to me to, say, raise a kid in German and Mandarin and have him learn Esperanto later on his own; much more efficient than raising him in German and Esperanto and have him learn Mandarin later.

That's interesting. What about all this "Esperanto makes you learn other languages a lot easier"? True or false? (Or just "Not for you"?)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6261 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 280 of 351
18 November 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
Also, it makes a lot more sense to me to,
say, raise a kid in German and Mandarin and have him learn Esperanto later on his own;
much more efficient than raising him in German and Esperanto and have him learn
Mandarin later.

That's interesting. What about all this "Esperanto makes you learn other languages a
lot easier"? True or false? (Or just "Not for you"?)

It is true, Esperanto does make it easier to learn other languages, and I'd amend that
to a lot easier if it's your first or second foreign language or if you don't
have experience with both Romance and Germanic languages and your next goal is one of
those. Even I still find features in exotic languages that I have trouble understanding
until I realize that they're just like Esperanto. For example, I recently came across
constructions like 爱怀疑的人 (love-doubt person) in Mandarin, which confused me until I
thought of the Esperanto "dubema". 爱 works like an -ema suffix, and with that
understanding even 爱挑毛病 makes sense. On the other side of the linguistic spectrum, I
was able to map Swahili's reversive suffix -ua to the Esperanto mal-, and the causative
-isha/-iza/-esha/-eza/-aulisha continuum (depending on the verb ending) easily maps to
the Esperanto -igi. That doesn't mean that all possible linguistic features of all
languages are going to be easier, e. g. the applicative suffix is still giving me
trouble, but it certainly helps to catch a break in the middle of climbing this
mountain of innovative Swahili verb modifiers. And these are just examples from the
past few months.

Someone who has never or rarely studied a foreign language before can get other
benefits from studying Esperanto, for example a quick and painless introduction to
various points of grammar that would be a whole lot harder if they were masked by the
irregularities of natural languages. Also the development of study habits, which is
easier when you notice progress from every week to the next. A base of European word
roots. An understanding of semantics and how morphology can change the meaning of a
word. For Asians, an introduction to the Latin alphabet - I pity those who learn the
Latin alphabet while studying English. Even though Esperanto pronounces letters quite
differently, it helps people to get a sense of the basic value of each letter before
having to deal with the monster that is English orthography, and that is the base of
the idea that learning a concise and logical grammar makes it easier to deal with a
vast and often-illogical grammar later.

Anyway, notice that all these points I'm making are for learners. I do not believe that
being a native speaker of Esperanto is nearly as beneficial for your language learning.
It doesn't give you the practice of learning a language, or the feeling of success when
you master it, and you still won't know what fluency in a foreign language feels like
(like aiming in the dark and you may wind up thinking you're fluent before you are).
Apart from that though, the problem is that e. g. German native speakers have a *feel*
for things like the Accusative or the meaning added by the ver- prefix, and that feel
doesn't make it much easier to learn another language's Accusative or another
language's prefixes. It's hard to transpose feel to a new foreign language (for the
Accusative it takes the average German several steps to figure out if something should
be Accusative in a new language, and it's a learned procedure, not an innate ability).
Transposing knowledge is a lot easier, so those who learned the Accusative for one
language will find it comparatively easy to use it in another language (the knowledge
of when to use it; not talking about mastering the morphological changes). Hence I
believe that most of the advantages derive from learning Esperanto rather than speaking
Esperanto natively.

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version