Norway
Joined 5319 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 177 of 351
17 January 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Impiegato wrote:
As presented, together with the fact that people from Asian countries and the people living in the rain forests do not benefit at all from introducing esperanto as lingua franca. The words are primarily based on Latin morphemes combined with some Germanic words. How can those who speak non-Indoeuropean languages like Chinese, Dravidian languages and Japanese be favoured by this?

The primary factor that makes Esperanto easier for anyone to learn than a natural language like French or English is not the source of its vocabulary but its regular grammar and agglutinative character.

The key to mastering Esperanto it mastering the affix system. Once you've learned the 40 or so affixes, you can construct a myriad of words from the one root word you've learned. So once you've learned the root for to learn (lern-), you don't have to learn the words for learner (lernanto), school (lernejo), headmistress/principal (lernejestrino), learning (lernado), something worth learning (lernindaĵo) etc. etc. separately.
9 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5319 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 178 of 351
17 January 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Impiegato wrote:
However, those who know something about semantics realize that a project of spreading the language to a lot of people and having it as lingua franca is impossible. Why? Because when we speak a language, there are lots of cultural references. The limits between words differ between languages, there are rarely perfect translations and the synonyms have different connotations. One can only understand a word in its cultural context. Due to the fact that Esperanto is not connected to any country, the words lose their nuances. For instance, a novel or a poem can generally be thoroughly understood only if you know something about the history, geography and habits of that country. The very idea of Esperanto was to obtain a neutral means of commuincation, which cannot be obtained.

I do find it interesting that people who don't speak Esperanto can make such absolute statements based on abstract theories. I wonder how you would explain the fact that many people do use Esperanto as a lingua franca, do experience it as vastly more neutral than other forms of intercultural communication, and find that the words we use do in fact have nuances - and often a richness of meaning that we are unable to obtain in our native languages. How have we attained these supposedly impossible feats I wonder?
9 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 179 of 351
17 January 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:

I do find it interesting that people who don't speak Esperanto can make such absolute statements based on abstract theories. I wonder how you would explain the fact that many people do use Esperanto as a lingua franca, do experience it as vastly more neutral than other forms of intercultural communication, and find that the words we use do in fact have nuances - and often a richness of meaning that we are unable to obtain in our native languages. How have we attained these supposedly impossible feats I wonder?

Perhaps the two of you have different ideas on what constitutes "many" and "lingua franca". In reality, Esperanto is almost only used as a lingua franca on Esperanto conferences, which in turn are organised with this in mind. TThe situation when two strangers meet accidentally, or for business, and use Esperanto as a means of communication is pretty rare, wouldn't you say?

And again, in what sense is Esperanto neutral? It is one the most overtly political languages ever heard, so you must mean something else.

More importantly, how many people (apart from a few thousand Esperanto enthusiasts) actually care about language "neutrality" at all? I've never met anyone in real life.
4 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5628 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 180 of 351
17 January 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
More importantly, how many people (apart from a few thousand Esperanto enthusiasts) actually care about language "neutrality" at all? I've never met anyone in real life.

They haven't had time to think about it. Too busy trying to learn irregular verbs in English, prounounce the "th" sound and work out where to put the emphasis in "dandelion" or "highbrow" and thousands more... Their career may depend on this.

I bet half of France and Spain would prefer Esperanto as Lingua Franca over English. But they are not here to say so because their English isn't good enough (as a rule) to participate in a forum like this.

It's not like the world took a vote on this and decided that English was ideal. It is the result of the dominance of the USA after ww2 and the influence of the old British Empire.

Imagine how much nicer and more interesting this forum would be if it was truly international instead of having a huge majority of native English speakers.

In a different world (parallelll Universe) where Esperanto was the Lingua Franca we would not have a situation where some people see participation in this forum as "language practice" while others chat away in their mother tongue. No specific culture/language/world view would be dominant.

Everybody on the forum would be writing in a foreign language (to them)and they would know what it means to REALLY learn a language to a high standard. (many people here don't). It would benefit everyone.

5 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6934 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 181 of 351
17 January 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I generally don't comment on, or even read, the interminable arguments about the virtues or lack thereof of Esperanto, and as a "non-enthusiast", some might consider that I have nothing to say on the issue.

But I would like to point out that Francois started the forum as an English-language forum for discussion of learning foreign languages, and the population of the users has developed largely on that basis. While some might wish that the forum didn't have a "huge majority" of native English speakers, there is nothing to stop such members from establishing or participating in "nicer and more interesting" fora in Esperanto or other "neutral" languages, especially if convinced that this would "benefit everyone".

Personally, I haven't a clue what language "half of France and Spain" would choose to use as a lingua franca, but if the above estimation is anywhere near accurate, then there would seem to be a great opportunity out there for acting upon it and setting up an Esperanto forum. The world awaits you.

Edited by daristani on 18 January 2010 at 1:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 182 of 351
17 January 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:

Personally, I haven't a clue what language "half of France and Spain" would choose to use as a lingua franca ...

I think I guess what France would choose, and it's not Esperanto...

If they prefer Esperanto to English (which I doubt) it would be precisely because the vocabulary is so heavily slanted towards the Romance languages, which is another sense in which Esperanto is not neutral. If you want a truly neutral language, you need some apolitical autists to man a randomiser to create words that are equally hard for all the word to remember.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5319 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 183 of 351
17 January 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
And again, in what sense is Esperanto neutral? It is one the most overtly political languages ever heard, so you must mean something else.

I commented on this a while back (Message 92). I think this discussion's perhaps tending towards being rather long and circular...

davidwelsh wrote:
The neutrality of Esperanto - as I understand it - refers to it not belonging to any one nation or culture. When a native English speaker, for example, uses English to speak to someone who has English as a foreign language, there's an imbalance of power. The native speaker can express themselves more clearly, correctly, elegantly and easily than the foreign language speaker, who will always be second guessing themselves and making mistakes. This is certainly my experience, and I'm on both sides of this kind of situation on a daily basis.

Esperanto is neutral ground because both parties to the conversation give up the advantage of speaking their native language. It's also generally easier to express yourself well and clearly in Esperanto than in another foreign language.

Esperanto is not - and it not intended to be - politically neutral. The use of this kind of language in itself implies certain internationalist, humanist values. The "internal idea" of Esperanto has been an integral part of the use and propagation since its inception.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 184 of 351
18 January 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:

I commented on this a while back (Message 92). I think this discussion's perhaps tending towards being rather long and circular...

davidwelsh wrote:
The neutrality of Esperanto - as I understand it - refers to it not belonging to any one nation or culture. When a native English speaker, for example, uses English to speak to someone who has English as a foreign language, there's an imbalance of power. The native speaker can express themselves more clearly, correctly, elegantly and easily than the foreign language speaker, who will always be second guessing themselves and making mistakes. This is certainly my experience, and I'm on both sides of this kind of situation on a daily basis.

Esperanto is neutral ground because both parties to the conversation give up the advantage of speaking their native language. It's also generally easier to express yourself well and clearly in Esperanto than in another foreign language.

Yes, but this is a pretty negative form of neutrality - being equally awkward for everyone - and if your Esperantist colleagues are right, it's not true. There are supposedly heaps of native Esperanto speakers, perhaps there are to be the next ruling class? Unless you believe that everyone will have Esperanto as their native tongue, the exact same situation as you describe with English will repeat itself with Esperanto.

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version