766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 585 of 766
09 September 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Well, I was going to read something before the cutoff time, and then I saw that it was too late and didn't tweet anything/didn't read more than maybe 5 'misc' pages during the week. So you'd have to add an entry manually :/ I'm not sure whether any other items will be off though.
1 person has voted this message useful

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4393 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 586 of 766
09 September 2014 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, I was going to read something before the cutoff time, and then I
saw that it was too late and didn't tweet anything/didn't read more than maybe 5 'misc'
pages during the week. So you'd have to add an entry manually :/ I'm not sure whether any
other items will be off though.

Yes, manually changing the date on an entry is the easiest way to do this. If you tweet
what you were going to before the cutoff (even if it's only a couple of pages), I can
push it back before the deadline for you. Likewise with anyone else who would like this -
just send me a PM or e-mail.

(ps - your inbox on HTLAL is full, Serpent, so nobody can send you PMs)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 587 of 766
09 September 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE:

Take a couple of paragraphs from a book you like, or a poem or a song, and translate it. Post both texts here,
and feel free to tell us why you have chosen this particular text. Does the poem appeal to you, do you love
the song, or do you admire the turn of phrase of these particular paragraphs.

You are allowed to use translations you find on the Internet, but try to see if you can improve them.

Go, go! :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 588 of 766
09 September 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
My web host has been migrating servers, and I'd been keeping an eye on it. I thought everything had gone off without a hitch, but I guess there was a problem after all.

I think I'll keep the bot running on UTC - it seems more logical.

Wait, so was it unintentional? Interesting :) I agree that UTC is more logical.

So now I tweeted those couple of pages: https://twitter.com/serpent849/status/509279264873926656
And there's a bug that limits the inbox capacity to something like 70 or so. So it says I can receive 30 more but I actually can't. But thanks for telling.

Also, you told me to remind you about the issue with possibly counting weeks as 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. Right now it seems to apply to my Swedish, for example.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4372 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 589 of 766
09 September 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I'll let you do the grammar challenge until the 10th, so if you still want to do it, you re not too late
:-)

Phew, I'd forgotten about this but just made it.

I was looking for examples of the future exact in Croatian. This tense is used when talking about two actions in the future, one
of which precedes the other. It is mainly formed from imperfective verbs and the use of an imperfective verb in this tense
expresses more of a sense of completion than you would normally get from an imperfective verb. It is often used after
conjunctions such as 'kad' (when) and 'ako' (if). I chose to look for sentences in this tense because I didn't feel I understood
it well enough to ever use it myself.

In the end I didn't hit the target of 100 sentences but I found 40 in the various 'Fifty Shades of Grey' books I was reading for
the challenge. They are all in my log on
this page
but a few examples are...

- Toliko toga se dogodilo - neće mi verovati kad joj budem ispričala.
(So much has happened - she'll never believe me when I tell her.)

- „Ne znam još. Javiću ti čim budem znala.“
(I don't know yet. As soon as I do, I'll call.)

- „Kazaću ti kasnije kad ne budeš ključao od besa."
(I'll tell you later when you're no longer burning with rage.)

-"A volela bih i da ostanem s vama dok budete pričali s njom."
(I'd also like to stay with you while you talk.)

- Doći ću kod tebe čim budem mogao.
(I'll be with you as soon as I can.)

-U zavisnosti od toga kako se ujutru budete osećali, možda ćemo vas pustiti kući.
(Depending on how you feel in the morning, we may let you go home.)

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 590 of 766
10 September 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
August mini-challenge:

For French I used the English>French sentences in FSI Chapter XXIV. I
originally thought I would try for 100, but settled for 50. The sentences were at a
C-1 level. I chose these because they were all things I could say awkwardly (i.e., I'd
get my point across), but couldn't necessarily say well.

A typical sentence: "That goes without saying."
What I would probably say: Cela va sans rien dire. Which I think is correct
too.
FSI translation: Cela va de soi. I would never come up with this on my own.

I liked this exercise, and I think I will use the FSI sentences as a basis the next
time I need to activate my French. There's a couple hundred in the last chapter, and
it would be worth a couple months to really work through them and internalize them.

For Italian I used the final quiz in Living Language's Italian Intermediate
book (which is still beginning level). There wasn't any one grammar point; this was
more a self-test to see how I was doing.

And I didn't do well. I stumbled a lot with the pronouns and the irregular verbs.
These were things I thought I knew when I was reading the text and answering
the questions out loud. Reality was a lot more harsh when I actually wrote out the
answers.

Lesson learned: I need to slow down a bit, and work in a lot more writing - for all my
languages.

-----------------------------

September Challenge: Sounds fun. I have so many favorite passages highlighted in my
kindle! I'll look for some good ones.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 591 of 766
11 September 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Language: Swedish
Grammar point: declension of nouns, adjectives, pronouns
Why: Because prior to this quick challenge they seemed completely random to me
How many sentences: 10
Grammar explanation: none, sorry. The explanations I used were in Polish and even French (Assimil). But there's a huge overlap with understanding when to use the definite and indefinite form/article.

These are all from the children's book I'm reading, and I needed to look up at least one word per sentence :/

1. Fast jag måste säga att idén med skönhetssalongen inte var så dum.
2. Mamma säger att det bara står lögner i kvällstidningar, men jag tycker de skriver om väldigt viktiga saker.
3. Jag läste mitt horoskop och tittade på bilder av filmstjärnor utan sitt smink, så jag hade definitivt inte tråkigt.
4. Tyvärr kom mamma och hämtade mig mitt i en historia om mr Peppers och hans nya fru som är tjugo år yngre än han.
5. Ingen av oss hade nånsin sett en skräckfilm, så det var ett riktigt bra fynd.
6. Filmen handlade om en lerig hand som vandrar runt i landet och mördar folk.
7. Jag vet inte vad som gör en bok till "klassiker", men jag tror att den måste vara minst femtio år gammal och att en människa eller ett djur måste dö på slutet.
8. Rowley trodde att julservetterna var nåt slags lyxigt toapapper, och han frågade mig om min familj var rik.
9. Och de där barnen köper inga presenter, det gör deras mammor.
10. Det här är anledningen till att jag aldrig borde berätta nåt för mamma om mitt privatliv.

Edited by Serpent on 11 September 2014 at 1:15pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 592 of 766
14 September 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who have read (or are reading) the Twilight series.. whether for the SC or otherwise..

My 11 year old daughter is interested in reading them, and I'm wondering if they are appropriate for her. If you've read them and have a minute, can you pop over to my log and let me know what you think?

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version