766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 145 of 766
11 May 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You have absolute freedom when it comes to revising your goals at any time.
Do not let your life revolve around the SC. Use it to lift you up, not to tear you down.
That's what I've tried to do by registering with all my languages. I've used the challenge to bring balance to my learning. It lasted a grand total of 10 days, now I'm encouraged to complete half the challenge now, preferably by watching a movie every single day. In the same language.
To be fair it seems like the implementation of weekly consistency is in progress. But I don't see why the ranking should be changed just because my languages occupy too much space. Why not just change the visual representation?
Contrary to what this sounds like, I'm not mad at surrealix or Cristina at all. I'm just upset when my fave place on the Internet only adds to my stress instead of being the safe haven it always was.

Edited by Serpent on 11 May 2014 at 7:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 146 of 766
11 May 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I really like the change to the bot. To be honest, I did find it a bit disheartening that the same people with a lot of languages registered were always at the top. It's nice to be currently ranked highly, but that's not the reason I like the change. I think this way there will be more fluctuation and that might motivate everyone to study harder. I love the colours and the idea with the badges as well.

As regards "it's only people doing French, Spanish and KDramas", I find the argument a bit unfair. Why would you discount French and Spanish? For Korean, I can only speak for myself, but I fully intend to pass the reading part of the challenge this time and I can tell you that it's not exactly an easy thing to do with Korean. I'm almost at 50 pages now, so could register my first 'book' soon, but I will only register once I've finished the whole thing (466 pages - and because the pages are huge, the script fairly small and cramped and Korean's system of syllables makes writing more compact I bet it would be almost twice the amount in most other languages. I'll still simply count the number of pages, it goes with the idea of challenging myself).

Edited by druckfehler on 11 May 2014 at 7:29pm

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3847 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 147 of 766
11 May 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Interesting, that the discussions have doubled since the badge system... You guys
should spent your time reading BOOKS and watching movies and not discuss about every
little thingy in some ranking...

I also signed up because of competing motivates me to do something, but it's not the
aim of the challenge to get on top of whatever ranking...

However, I do like the idea by Jeffers:
Jeffers wrote:
1. Alphabetically by user.
2. By percent of challenge completed.
3. By total completed.
4. By percent of best language completed (and when that gets to 100%, percent of 2nd
language, etc).

And I do agree Christin: it's about fun and motivation to push your language level...
and not to read and watch just to get to the top..
And I think that we should get back to a maximum of 3 languages.. This would then be
easier for rankings I think. I mean one could do some average ranking stuff and try to
get the full bunch of languages "equal" to the one language of other participants..
(hope that's not too confusingly explained...), but I think even with this stuff people
who do only one language might be demotivated to continue...

I mean, everyone can learn whatever he/she likes, so you can learn X languages. But for
a Challenge, there should be some kind of limit. Otherwise it's just hard to compare.
And one can do goals besides the real challenge. And I do think that the SC is better
if one focuses on a few languages because doing too much at the same time is never
good. Of course, it seems that some people can cope with that, but I still think it's
just not the aim of this challenge.
(and to make it clear, I don't want to say, that having such goals in multiple
languages is bad or that it's impossible or something... I just think that in general
one should concentrate on FEW things at once and then move on to other things...)

(sorry, if some of that seems a bit confusing.. I just don't know how to state what I
think in proper English ...)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 148 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't discounting any language, I was stating the fact. Surely it's no coincidence?
I have immense respect for Cristina but clearly she's putting in more effort than most people above her?

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 149 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Nothing like a good discussion!

Personally I have spent a lot of my life being the slow plodding geezer at the back of the pack. I generally suck at sports, but I'm not bad at the old endurance game. I've completed 2 marathons and 2 half-marathons. I don't mind the ranking thing, in fact I only started looking at the bot results after this discussion sort of blew up.

But as a slow plodding turtle at the back of the race, can we please have a consistency ranking? I don't even feel the need to be at the top of the consistency rankings, I just want to see it.

When I ran the two marathons my goal was not to WIN the marathon, but just to get to the end alive and under 5 hours.

:)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 150 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I love this idea! And if consistency is the primary sorting criterion, we'll see a lot of variety in the chart, and anyone can get on top.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 151 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Some of you are making this an unpleasant experience with all the constant
nitpicking. It's supposed to be fun.

I don't even understand this current round. Serpent, NO ONE is on top. NO ONE is in
first place. The Super Challenge doesn't even have those categories, and never did.
Nothing has changed since Cristina finalized the rules. This fight makes no sense -
it's about the graphics on the twitter bot???

Here's and idea: let's post about what we're reading and watching, and stop all current
and future arguments about any of this.

To the point where I'd ask the mods to delete any posts that aren't directly about
books and movies (and similar things). Including this one.    
9 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 152 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I just checked the page. Over 300 films watched, and perhaps 200 books. I did a rough
count. Where are all the posts here on those?

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version