766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 497 of 766
15 July 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
So Solfrid, perhaps an obvious question... why isn't the news or Yabla allowed? If we're
going to be that strict then shouldn't there be very little other exceptions if not none?
I mean the news is some pretty decent watching material, is it not?

Agreed. Besides, it puts people like Radioclare at a huge disadvantage again, making the challenge more difficult for languages that aren't Spanish/German/French etc.

And you'd not hear howling. I'd simply not participate if football didn't count. I'm not the only one who watches a lot of football either - geoffw also did, and he completed the half challenge.

Edited by Serpent on 15 July 2014 at 10:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 498 of 766
15 July 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
All of it counts :-)

Ah. That's good thanks.

So my NHK News reading doesn't count but everything else (short stories, novels) does.
Luckily colour coding my spreadsheet makes it easy enough to see that I should lose 192
pages. That's not too bad. I need a kick up the backside to spur my reading anyway.

The audio is harder as there's so much of it. But if I count all my audio over that
time (which will be a slight overestimate) then I should lose 72h33m. That's easy
enough to make up for, so it shouldn't affect whether I get to the end of the
challenge.

Anyone know if a negative tweet will work?

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 499 of 766
15 July 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And you'd not hear howling. I'd simply not participate if football didn't count. I'm not the only one who watches a lot of football either - geoffw also did, and he completed the half challenge.

Wow.

I think someone missed this memo.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
So whenever you want to include something that you do anyway, please keep in mind that the point of this challenge is ... to challenge yourself into doing something you would not normally do.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 500 of 766
16 July 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
So whenever you want to include something that you do anyway, please keep in mind that the point of this challenge is not to count everything you already do, but to challenge yourself into doing something you would not normally do.
The thing is that motivation can be short-term and long-term. In the short-term, I read books and do listening anyway, and there are also the 2-6 week challenges. But in the long run it does take effort to maintain my lifestyle of All Foreign Languages, All the Time. In this sense I definitely find the SC motivating, and it's also a way to keep my studies balanced. Also, unusual things that people want to count aren't necessarily what they'd do anyway. In my case, the challenge motivates me to read more and watch/listen more, and these in turn motivate me to try not just new content, but new types of it, like taking an excursion where you listen to a recording in your earphones.

I think someone missed this post.

Also, we can totally do more within the range of what we CAN do anyway but don't always do. In the first week of the original challenge I watched the Italian Serie B for the first time, and my European Portuguese listening was already B2 when the challenge started so I counted only Brazilian Portuguese, and I started watching Brazilian football. (well, it's also because of Forlán :P) In both cases it was more challenging because there was very little familiar content.

And pretty much all of you generally watch more movies than I do, at least in your native language or English. It's very natural that I can watch more movies than I would otherwise, but still nowhere near 100 or even 50. I have no desire or interest in watching such an amount of movies.

Edited by Serpent on 16 July 2014 at 12:28am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 501 of 766
17 July 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

It picked out the time even in the title "how to learn anything in 20 hours", so I'm pretty sure it'll just add even more hours to your entry.

Quote:
Let's take a world cup analogy. Obviously, it's against the rules to push another player, grab his shirt, etc. If you just do it a little bit, you can get away with it. But they can't state in the rules, "you can push a little bit", because then people will say, "well then, why can't I bite him?" Oh wait, somebody did do that!

haha, i missed that!
although actually tackles are allowed. you should just be targeting the ball, and not the opponent's leg.
and I admit I'm massively uncomfortable with comparing audiobooks etc to subtly mean actions that you can get away with.

Anyway, I'm still confused by the new challenge. Does it have to be a complete book? A complete book-item? (50 pages) Does it matter if I repeat the very same text, or can I for example read 50 pages, then switch to the audiobook for the next part, and then continue reading where I left off? Or should it be the same material twice, or even all three times? And is the idea that I shouldn't see the same text again while listening?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 502 of 766
17 July 2014 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
dampingwire wrote:

It picked out the time even in the title "how to learn anything in 20 hours", so I'm pretty sure it'll just add even
more hours to your entry.

Quote:
Let's take a world cup analogy. Obviously, it's against the rules to push another player, grab his shirt,
etc. If you just do it a little bit, you can get away with it. But they can't state in the rules, "you can push a little
bit", because then people will say, "well then, why can't I bite him?" Oh wait, somebody did do that!

haha, i missed that!
although actually tackles are allowed. you should just be targeting the ball, and not the opponent's leg.
and I admit I'm massively uncomfortable with comparing audiobooks etc to subtly mean actions that you can
get away with.

Anyway, I'm still confused by the new challenge. Does it have to be a complete book? A complete book-item?
(50 pages) Does it matter if I repeat the very same text, or can I for example read 50 pages, then switch to
the audiobook for the next part, and then continue reading where I left off? Or should it be the same material
twice, or even all three times? And is the idea that I shouldn't see the same text again while listening?

The idea was again - very simple. To see how synergy between two or more media work. My intention was to
complete it in one version first, then complete the other, and then go back to the first and complete that. But if
doing it in chunks work better for you, that is fine by me. :-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 503 of 766
17 July 2014 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I've created an infographic which explains what is allowed for the Film part of the Super Challenge, what exceptions are allowed, and what is not allowed. I hope the graphic will help make sense of why X is allowed but Y is not. Cristina has seen the graphic and approved it.

Green is the core concept, each level to the right is one step further away. Orange are the borderline items which people could still count if they want. Red are the things which aren't allowed.

I'm still having issues posting images on HTLAL, so if the link above doesn't work, here's a direct link:
SC infographic

EDIT: I forgot to mention that one thing Cristina was quite clear about is that she doesn't want "5 minutes here and there". So a good measure is that if something you want to count is less than 15 minutes, it's too bitty to count as a "film".

EDIT: made some changes to the graphic, but I don't want two versions floating about, so I changed the link on this post.

Edited by Jeffers on 17 July 2014 at 12:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 504 of 766
17 July 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeffers,

I see mixed messages and would like to be very clearly informed that the news and Yabla clips can count.
Solfrid? Someone recently quoted Solfrid saying " it all counts " . This is too much out of context and vague
for me. Jeffers your diagram seems to indicate that these things do count. Yet I don't understand whey clips
under 5 min wouldn't count. If I only watched 5 min via Yabla then I'd simply wait until i'd watched a more
decent amount of clips before logging it all. Either way I've watched the material, what's the problem with
snippets? It's video content, it's in my TL... ... confused ... ... confused some more... Solfrid, Solfrid... ?
Anyone seen my left arm? Shit where's my right leg... ? Ah... Ahhhhh ! Oh there it is, over on the windowsill,
windowsill? Do window sills count? Dammit I have fleas!

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 17 July 2014 at 12:16pm

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version