766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 417 of 766
13 June 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it depends on many factors. Scandinavians eat subtitles for breakfast, for example. Ignoring/skimming/not focusing too much on the subtitles is a skill, and one that's not necessarily worth acquiring if you don't already have it. The same applies to watching dubbed movies without being distracted by the mouth movements not matching the sounds.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4667 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 418 of 766
14 June 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I'm about to start my first episode of Un Village! It's really nice to have a link;
I've
been looking for one for awhile and never found a good site, with or without subtitles.

But ... be careful when you download the extensions to play it (flv player and divX).
It
came bundled with all kinds of little gremlins. I thought I had caught most of them,
but
one evil one slipped in and managed to place ads in HTLAL - such as random hyperlinks
to
a fake Pimsleur page. It wasn't hard to remove, but it was a bit of a shock. To say
the
least - I thought we had been sold to Pimsleur.

(edit: and the first episode was incredible. There was a fair amount of slang, and
multiple plot lines, so I'm glad for the subtitles!)

Edited by kanewai on 14 June 2014 at 9:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5254 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 419 of 766
14 June 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hey all,

Great French series... 'Un village français' with some actors from Engrenages

I unfortunately discovered that some really great series aren't offered with English
subtitles, one of them being "Un village français".

I did try to watch this, but couldn't find it on the internet, so thanks for the link. I have a question though. Why
do you want English subtitles?

I've personally found that if I watch a show with English subtitles then I'm just reading English. So I normally
try to find TV series or movies without subtitles which forces me to concentrate on the language and the
actors very hard in order to understand. This means of course that I don't understand everything, and I end
up watching things over and over. But aside from this obvious disadvantage, don't you think you'd be better
off without subtitles?

A fair question...

At this stage I prefer to have subtitles as my comprehension level is too low (certified B1). This is my
preference despite others finding it better to have no subtitles for whatever reason. I think I would switch off
Engrenages without subtitles- it's simply too difficult. There's been a handfull of people stating that despite
doing previous SC's with French that while their reading comprehension level of French had clearly improved,
they still found they struggled to understand French 'watching'. Perhaps this has something to do with French
stress (more uniform tone, less frequent stress than say Spanish which has stress on a particular syllable in
every word). Perhaps if I was at the same level in Spanish having no subtitles wouldn't be as much of an
issue.

The other reason is that when I often watch such shows it's outside my 'desk study' time and often in the
evening when relaxing with my wife. She wouldn't watch foreign cinema without subtitles. Fortunately she
enjoys European cinema so if there's something Euro worth a look she's happy to (with st's) do so. Otherwise
I'd simply be watching English only programs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 420 of 766
24 June 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I finally got the silver badge, but my Firefox freezes when I hover it. It then says that the script http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/script/raphael-mi n.js:10 is slow or doesn't respond, and when I stop the script it says I've studied one book and one film, not two. I've noticed the same on other people's pages - no freezing, but still 1 instead of 2.
edit: this happens only on user pages. On the main page there's no problem, I think.

Edited by Serpent on 24 June 2014 at 10:53pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4382 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 421 of 766
25 June 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It then says that the script   [...] is slow or doesn't respond

Does anybody else have this problem? I looked at your user page in the latest Firefox,
and it worked fine. Chrome and Opera also work fine.

It does take ~5 seconds to load the page because there's a bit of data it has to parse
before it displays the graphs, you just have to be a bit patient.

EDIT : I guess my first suggestion is to make sure your version of Firefox is the latest
one, and then see if this still happens.

Edited by surrealix on 25 June 2014 at 12:36am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 422 of 766
25 June 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I have the latest version, yes. This specifically happens when i check the Italian silver badge info, which is displayed incorrectly too. In fact even the golden badges say the person has studied one book&film. I'm yet to find anyone whose badge info is correct, other than those with bronze badges. (seems to be fine on the main page though)

Hm it freezes for a much shorter time if I don't have a football stream on :D

Edited by Serpent on 25 June 2014 at 2:54am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4687 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 423 of 766
25 June 2014 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
I had no problem hovering over Serpent's badge. I'm on Firefox 30.0.

As to the other problem, the badge on the user page only indicates activity, "recently studied at least one..." It's not a fault, it was never programmed to do otherwise.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 424 of 766
25 June 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I've not seen the same error on anyone else's page, but on a couple pages the cursor got stuck in the question mark shape the first time I checked.

Edited by Serpent on 25 June 2014 at 1:41pm

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version