Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 57 of 766
05 May 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
tastyonions wrote:
Could there be a listening / radio version of the challenge as well? :-)

Well, audio books are allowed, but I am a little more hesitant about the radio. You need an iron will to stay
concentrated with something which normally just tends to be background noise. And I must admit that it was
with much hesitation that I went for audio book, since you lose the combination of audio and the visual which
you get through a film :-)

I’ve always thought I’ll be able to count radio dramas and cultural shows as well!

As you probably know from my log, last time round I couldn’t take part officially because of the demands of the Advanced Super Challenge, but I organized a “personal” challenge in German where probably half of the “film” component was made up by Hörspiele (radio dramas) I downloaded as podcast from WDR and I never felt as if I was cheating. To be honest, they were even harder than watching movies, given that there was no visual component to help with comprehension. And certainly they were never background noise for me, but I had to remain very concentrated on what I was listening to if I wanted to make heads or tails of it.

I’ve been planning to use those podcasts (actually, I’ve already begun), counting their exact duration in minutes rather than making each of them equivalent to one film. Is it still ok to do so?

Moreover, maybe not for German, but for some languages I think that finding a free, legal podcast is easier than finding a free, legal film to stream. And having free/cheap materials is important to succeed in the Super Challenge without breaking the bank. ;-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3818 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 58 of 766
05 May 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
As a suggestion for the whole "what counts and what not" discussion:
One could just say in the registration what resources one is going to use. And then
list the participants in the second post of the registration thread under different
categories:
- original SC (maybe in brackets the aim to do half, full, super, whatever ^^)
- SC including audiobooks, podcasts, radio (like cultural shows or discussions where
people actually talk) for the "film" section
- i don't know what other subchallenges people want to do ...

for the bot that would then all count like we do it now, but then people can compare
with others doing the same challenge. I mean, the challenge is mostly for oneself to
get some progress with a language, right? And to get used to original material or
something like that (please correct me if I misunderstood the goal of the challenge)

And the bot stuff and progress-tracking inside our community is for comparison and
motivation. How well one did compared to others etc. And this of course is difficult if
everone counts different things for reading/ watching. But with listing the people in
groups in a post, everyone who is interested can look there and then compare with those
who actually do the same thing..

To make it clear: It's not a suggestion to allow everything, but for me there seem to
be roughly two opinions: the ones preferring the old rules and the ones who like the
new rules because they make things easier
(I belong to the last group, because I just love audio books and think they are
actually more "dense" than films, however it is right, they use some kind of
"different" language, or the "book language" and so one actually does more "books" than
"movies".. and for some languages it may be harder to find films than for others.. so
whatever audio one could find would be good, wouldn't it?)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 59 of 766
05 May 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Oh my...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3818 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 60 of 766
05 May 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
what's that "oh my" about? was it concerning my post? It was just a suggestion.. I don't
wanted to cause any trouble..
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 61 of 766
05 May 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I thought podcasts had explicitly been allowed.
IDGI about background noise, really. Most of what we follow with great concentration (especially as beginners or low intermediate learners) is what native speakers treat as background noise unless they are really into films or even into a particular film etc. I think it's enough to have the pretty clear rule that background noise doesn't count.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 62 of 766
05 May 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
The " oh my" was the sound of my shattered illusions about a simple little idea of 100 films and a 100 books.

@Emme: You just keep using podcasts. I know you will listen attentively and get a lot out of it. It was never
considered cheating

Not in favor of the radio, though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 63 of 766
05 May 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But many podcasts are basically radio programs available for download...

Also what about radio dramas/radio plays?
edit: radio is just a channel of transmission, like the Internet or TV. What matters is what exactly we listen to, not via which means.

Edited by Serpent on 05 May 2014 at 10:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3818 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 64 of 766
05 May 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
The " oh my" was the sound of my shattered illusions about a
simple little idea of 100 films and a 100 books.

ok, yeah, that's true.. it's getting more and more complicated :/
However, I still like the challenge, because it's going to let me just do something :D SO
thanks for your idea even if everyone's trying to broaden the borders (sorry for my maybe
strange expression here..)
That's why I was suggesting doing like two challenges, but I'll be quiet on everything
like that and just do the challenge :D Sorry for any shattered illusions caused by me ;)

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version