Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 473 of 766
14 July 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
To the original question as to what in an immersion course would count for the Super Challenge, I think my
answer would be : Most probably very little.

If you are still doing it in August, count is for the 6 week challenge which is better suited for that.

And while pulling my hair out in frustration, I feel like splitting the challenge in two next time. One which
would be the original challenge, with physical books (novels) and actual films, where you got the advantage
of consistency from a book, and the mutual reinforcement from the visual and audio which was my original
thought, and one which would be like the 6 week challenge where anything imaginable you do in another
language counts: Swimming while listening to safety warnings, count it as part of a film,:reading road signs in
Croatia: Count it as part of a book: intimate contact with a hot Russian, just include lots of pillow talk and you
are on, girl.

I hope someone else could manage the "if it is in a foreign language, count it"- challenge though.

Thank you Jeffers, Kanewaii and Kerrie for helping me to try to keep this challenge on the road. I am very
pleased that people get so engaged, but remember that there are
other challenges which are more comprehensive, and that you could also define your own challenge, if you
feel that this one is limiting your freedom of action.

The point of the challenge was to do something you would otherwise not do: focus on lots of reading, and on
lots of films. Long stories which would have their own value. I try to accommodate everyone, but neither
reading spam, nor reading poems, an Internet article or a lesson in your beginner's course was part of my
original idea, and neither was watching football, or theatre or audiobooks.

I am not saying that these are less valuable, I have greatly enjoyed listening to an audiobook for the third time
in a short space of time, but they are a far cry from what I had in mind.

So whenever you want to include something that you do anyway, please keep in mind that the point of this
challenge is not to count everything you already do, but to challenge yourself into doing something you would
not normally do.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 14 July 2014 at 3:36pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 474 of 766
14 July 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I hope someone else could manage the "if it is in a foreign language, count it"- challenge though.

I'd prefer to manage that one! Just ask; Is it in a language you didn't learn before you were 5 years old? Yep! It counts!

:)
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 475 of 766
15 July 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
One which
would be the original challenge, with physical books (novels) and actual films, where
you got the advantage
of consistency from a book, and the mutual reinforcement from the visual and audio
which was my original
thought,

Just in case I wanted to tweak my spreadsheet to try to count towards "the original
challenge" ...

"novels" means a single story of 50+ pages or would a collection count? I have graded
readers (physical books) but they're short stories of 5-10 pages each. That sounds like
it wouldn't count?

Does it have to be physical books or would the same material in electronic form count?
(I only have Harry Potter electronically ... and I have access to a Kindle ...). So is
"physical books" a requirement?

Does "film" mean "something that could have appeared in a cinema and is at least 90
minutes long" or does (say) a series of (usually 10 or 11) anime episodes of 25 minutes
or a series of drama episodes of 40+ minutes each (usually 10 or 11 per series) count
in the original spirit of things?

I'm not looking for a harder challenge ... I'm just wondering what I'm doing that meets
the original conception and what I'm doing that doesn't.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 476 of 766
15 July 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
One which
would be the original challenge, with physical books (novels) and actual films, where
you got the advantage
of consistency from a book, and the mutual reinforcement from the visual and audio
which was my original
thought,

Just in case I wanted to tweak my spreadsheet to try to count towards "the original
challenge" ...

"novels" means a single story of 50+ pages or would a collection count? I have graded
readers (physical books) but they're short stories of 5-10 pages each. That sounds like
it wouldn't count?

Does it have to be physical books or would the same material in electronic form count?
(I only have Harry Potter electronically ... and I have access to a Kindle ...). So is
"physical books" a requirement?

Does "film" mean "something that could have appeared in a cinema and is at least 90
minutes long" or does (say) a series of (usually 10 or 11) anime episodes of 25 minutes
or a series of drama episodes of 40+ minutes each (usually 10 or 11 per series) count
in the original spirit of things?

I'm not looking for a harder challenge ... I'm just wondering what I'm doing that meets
the original conception and what I'm doing that doesn't.

All of it counts :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 477 of 766
15 July 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
So whenever you want to include something that you do anyway, please keep in mind that the point of this challenge is not to count everything you already do, but to challenge yourself into doing something you would not normally do.
The thing is that motivation can be short-term and long-term. In the short-term, I read books and do listening anyway, and there are also the 2-6 week challenges. But in the long run it does take effort to maintain my lifestyle of All Foreign Languages, All the Time. In this sense I definitely find the SC motivating, and it's also a way to keep my studies balanced. Also, unusual things that people want to count aren't necessarily what they'd do anyway. In my case, the challenge motivates me to read more and watch/listen more, and these in turn motivate me to try not just new content, but new types of it, like taking an excursion where you listen to a recording in your earphones.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 478 of 766
15 July 2014 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Hmmmm,

Now i'm staring to wonder whether I should be counting these things which I have been:

1)When I watch the news in French?

2) Yabla (online learning program of 'real' visual content- ie not deliberately slow,
but
it is graded according to difficulty, see www.yabla.com for sample clip)???

edit: Yabla is basically a massive collection of video clips of 3-5 minutes in length
in which subtitles can be turned on or off

Eat a fry

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 15 July 2014 at 2:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 479 of 766
15 July 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hmmmm,

Now i'm staring to wonder whether I should be counting these things which I have been:

Eat a fry

Eating fries does not count. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 480 of 766
15 July 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hmmmm,

1)When I watch the news in French?

2) Yabla (online learning program of 'real' visual content- ie not deliberately slow,
but
it is graded according to difficulty, see www.yabla.com for sample clip)???

edit: Yabla is basically a massive collection of video clips of 3-5 minutes in length
in which subtitles can be turned on or off

Eat a fry

I think they fall outside the scope of this particular challenge :-)

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version