Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 617 of 766
06 November 2014 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
That does sound like a lot to post at once, but if they have genuinely read them, that is within the rules. I
would of course welcome a loooong post where they told us about which films and books they have been
through. Kanewaiis posts are the highlight of the SC for me, and with that much material, they should have a
lot to draw from. I have not posted any of the films I have watched since May either, and will have to browse
through the tweets from the last three 6wc. And write a loooong post about it. ;-)

I am assuming that all this material has not been covered in those four days.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 06 November 2014 at 7:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 618 of 766
06 November 2014 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
I would like to give the benefit of the doubt too and am assuming that a lot of the minutes
logged in the last few days relate to activities prior to September.

I have noted that a lot of the "books" logged are subtitles (字幕) and tend to match with the
"films" also logged, so I hope there is no double counting. On the other hand, if they
genuinely spent 10-13 hours a day watching anime in October, it's really not my place to
judge.

Edited by g-bod on 06 November 2014 at 9:43am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 619 of 766
06 November 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I have my doubts too, but this makes me remember the previous accusation you made. Ughhhh.

Can we get some insight from anyone who actually knows enough Japanese to judge?

My assumption is that the Super Challenge is a group event, and so there is nothing wrong with politely questioning what someone has posted. The person may have made a mistake, they may have actually done that much, they may have taken a long time to post and so the post covers a long period of time, or they may have made it up. In the last case they are probably not going to confess, so there's nothing to be done. But if it is one of the first three cases, they can simply reply to say what actually happened.

What bothers me is when people get defensive and say it's nobody's business but their's. If they don't want people looking at what they're doing, then they don't have to take part in a group event. On the other hand, any questioning should be done with the most polite tone possible.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 620 of 766
06 November 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
The same person managed to read over 7000 pages for Tadoku and completed 100 films and 100 books for the SC within a matter of weeks, so I don't think it's unreasonable that they might have completed the challenge several times over if they have gone back to post items they read/watched before September. I don't know anything about Japanese but I googled one of the things which had a lot of minutes credited to it and it looked like several series of one particular show. I guess it's personal preference whether you post all the minutes for the show at once when you get to the end of it rather than episode by episode as you go along.

I just wish I had enough free time to compete at that level :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 621 of 766
06 November 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have not posted any of the films I have watched since May either, and will have to browse through the tweets from the last three 6wc. And write a loooong post about it. ;-)
Pro-tip: go to your page and choose Study time by Tag :) Here are your current stats, those from August and finally May :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 622 of 766
06 November 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have not posted any of the films I have watched since May
either, and will have to browse through the tweets from the last three 6wc. And write a loooong post about it.
;-)
Pro-tip: go to your page and choose Study time by Tag :) Here are your
current stats, those from
August and finally
May :)

What would I have done without you :-)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 623 of 766
07 November 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
NOVEMBER CHALLENGE

This one is from Jeffers, if anyone else want to propose a challenge for later months just send me a PM.

Watch a film in your TL without any subtitles, then watch it with subtitles (your own language for B1 and below, target language if possible for above B1), and then watch it a third time without subtitles. Alternatively, one could read the transcript in place of watching with subtitles.

Don't know how strictly I adhered to the letter of the mini-challenge... but here we go.

I have a few episodes of Hero Corps (spoiler warning) and I have subtitles in English & French. I've only watched the first episode within the remit of this challenge, but I've watched it like so:

1) First viewing, no subtitles
2) Second viewing, French subtitles
3) Third viewing, English subtitles
4) Fourth viewing, no subtitles.

The things I noticed while doing this challenge were interesting to me, but perhaps not unexpected.

Firstly my listening comprehension in French is poor at best. Especially with TV/Films. I find it a lot easier to understand when someone speaks to me, because generally they will speak slowly or on a topic I know. TV shows for natives are more difficult, and this particular show seems to be more challenging than usual. So I would rate my comprehension very low around 30-40% most of which I could pickup from visual context.

When I did the second pass of the show (actually 3rd, because I watched it with no subtitles twice) with French subtitles my comprehension leaped up. I understand written French much better than spoken French. I would say that I understood a good 70-80% with the inclusion of the French subtitles.

Obviously watching with English subtitles has "filled in the blanks" where there were words I didn't understand when reading the French subtitles.

The final time watching the show I think I dropped back down to 60-80% comprehension. I say this because although I now knew the storyline 100% I was trying to estimate how much of the dialogue I could "process" quickly while watching and not relying on the memory of what I'd read earlier, if that makes sense. Without the subtitles the 4th time around I was picking out sentences much easier and listening comprehension was better.

An additional piece of work I have done with this challenge is to watch the second episode again. I'd watched it just after watching the first episode (1st pass), and I wanted to determine the change in comprehension knowing what I now know of the first episode. I believe that I understood a lot more of the 2nd episode but this was based on the context of the 1st. I don't think there was any great leap in comprehension although I did feel I understood more of the second episode. After watching the 2nd episode with French subtitles I would say I understood well enough.

I've created subs2srs anki cards for the first 4 episodes of this series to help improve my listening comprehension, which is an area I obviously need to improve.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 624 of 766
08 November 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
That sounds like it was pretty useful to you. I imagine doing what you did through a series will be a lot more useful than through separate films.

I suggested this challange because I did something like it with Amelie, and it was good to see my comprehension grow, and be able to enjoy a film without subtitles. Like you, there were times when I knew exactly what they were saying, but they were still talking too fast for me to actually "process" their words. Understanding fast language just takes a lot of time and practice.

My difficulty is finding a DVD I haven't watched yet, but which I'm sure I want to watch at least 3 times. I tried Camera Cafe, but I don't think I'll continue with it right now. It involves conversations in front of a coffee machine at an office, and so should be great for practicing listening to conversations. However, they speak fast, they use a lot of slang and so many contractions, and there is very little action to put the language in context. I watched about a half hour, struggled, and then read the transcripts for the first three episodes and gave up. Even on paper, the way they use language is just beyond me. What this tells me is that it is just too soon for me, so I'll try this series later (maybe a challenge for the last couple months of the SC).

So I'm still left searching for a DVD to use for this challenge. I think I'll have to do it with one I've watched before, so probably Le Petit Nicolas.

For those who want them, you can find transcripts of most of the episodes of Camera Cafe here:
http://camera-cafe.hypnoweb.net/episodes/saison-1.141.3/

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version