766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 529 of 766
18 July 2014 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
The thing is that everyone's motivation is different. I'm happy for everyone who couldn't stop doing more and more courses and finally started using native materials thanks to this challenge. For me it's less about that and more about setting specific goals, maintaining balance (especially great with the consistency streak feature), finding new native content and new types of it. Joining Coursera makes me feel like a winner. Getting out of my home and taking an excursion makes me feel like a winner.

I admit I might take things personally because I hate it when people tell me I should watch more movies, whether in my native language or in others. Since the challenge started, I've seen ONE movie, it was Pulp Fiction and my parents had to agree to watch it in Belarusian to get me to watch it with them (I'm not sure if I had seen it before or not). It's nobody's business how many movies I watch - in terms of this challenge, it's nobody's business as long as I consume native content. But I hear that outside the context of language learning a lot.

Also, please see this post by rdearman.

(I personally think where it went wrong was telling those who learn smaller languages to watch in L1 with L2 subtitles. Instead of allowing them to use whatever native or semi-native audio they can find. I don't see why we have to "draw a line somewhere", I don't see any reasons for not being inclusive. And before you say that I should start my own challenge, yes I'm interested in that, but that would not be a total immersion challenge.)

Edited by Serpent on 18 July 2014 at 1:10am

5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 530 of 766
18 July 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Serpent, you are already a winner, and an inspiration to many, many people here on HTLAL. You are proof that one can study and succeed at simultaneous, multi-language learning. There are folks here who would give anything to have your levels in Finnish, English, German and Portuguese. You are a true stalwart of the forum. You win your challenge, everyday, I know.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 July 2014 at 1:15am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 531 of 766
18 July 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Thank you :') Great to know that I don't bring only frustration but also inspiration. I like to think that this challenge would've lost a little without my participation.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 532 of 766
18 July 2014 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Serpent, I'm really not sure what you are asking for. You wanted football to be included and Cristina did so. What else do you want? If it's about Coursera, those videos are countable since they are entirely in Spanish. (That looks like an interesting course, by the way. I love the idea of using Coursera for language study!)

You are writing a lot about motivation and being creative, but little about what you are requesting. Please be specific.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 533 of 766
18 July 2014 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
All right, I've decided. I'm going to count only core ideas from now on:

TV series and movies
full novels or non-fiction books

Nothing else…no podcasts, no articles, etc. I'll still do them, of course, but I won't count them towards the
Super
Challenge.

I only have one small question…will I maintain my streak if I only log video every week? I don't finish a whole
novel
in a week, and I don't like to tweet a novel in bits and pieces.

Good idea Stelle. I'm going to do the same :) The extra activities I'd do anyway, so what's it matter what's
counted in the end. Iguanamon is right it's about one's own progression, plus Solfrid could do without the
grief.

Edit:
As for my own progression... slow but sure sums it up. Unlike a lot of others I still like doing a lot of courses. I
find it motivating to try to get through them, and I like the intense, focused study. I used to only do courses so
the SC has helped me branch out for sure, and I've certainly learned plenty and grown in confidence
understanding 'peripheral' words.

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 18 July 2014 at 3:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 534 of 766
18 July 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I would've wanted to know that audio sports don't count (or even better I would've wanted to count them officially). Often there's so much on that I watch one match and listen to another, and there's one amazing commentator to whom I listen even if I'm not interested in actually watching. I also think that making a distinction between non-fiction audiobooks and audio guides is the opposite of keeping it simple. Video made sense for B1 or lower, but at some point audio-only is just as good if not better. Besides, I'm not very visual, and I think the rules are full of assumptions that are not true for everyone.

More broadly, I'm upset when deviations from the original idea are viewed as criminal. I'm not saying it was bad, but all the "start your own challenge" talk reminds me on "write your own book" etc. Basically, the more kinds of stuff is excluded, the more elitist it gets. I have a lot of respect for movie nerds/fans learning Spanish/French/German, but that's a privileged position in this challenge. I don't like the peer pressure either, all those reminders of how the original idea was movies and how this or that thing is not super enough or not challenging enough. Either make it official and give higher scores for movies than for audiobooks, or make no distinctions between the various things that are all allowed.

As for creativity, I guess it's similar to the rules of Iversen's travel club that I remember seeing years ago. There are two ways to get in: visiting many countries (at least the same number as your age, with the lower limit of 30), and having unique experiences like living abroad etc, in this case each individual situation is inspected in detail. For me the SC was always about doing as many unusual things as possible, like reading HP in Italian while listening to it in Danish :) Now, I recognize that there can be a clash between one person's idea of unique and another person's idea of (un)fair, but the movie/fiction bias is agaist my idea of fair ;)

Edited by Serpent on 18 July 2014 at 3:48am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 535 of 766
18 July 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I used several hours of my holiday time following this discussion, making the infographic, etc, yesterday. As a result I didn't get any reading done. So I'm going to be blunt in this post.

These discussions are following a predictable pattern:
1. someone asks if something "counts"
2. Someone (often Serpent) says if X counts then this should
3. Some of us point out that it doesn't and why
4. Serpent thinks people are attacking her learning methods (honestly, we're not)
5. Someone tells Serpent how awesome she is (and she is!)
6. Someone says "Instead of debating, can't we all study languages?"
7. Cristina gets frustrated (like she needs more stress?)

The exact order changes, but you get the idea. What starts as a simple question, somehow turns into Serpent Contra Mundum.

In this instance, rdearman made a nice summary of the rules, but I thought it would be useful for some people to see it visually. I had hoped these two things would clarify the challenge and end the debates.

Serpent wrote:
Video made sense for B1 or lower, but at some point audio-only is just as good if not better. Besides, I'm not very visual, and I think the rules are full of assumptions that are not true for everyone.

Every contest or challenge has rules. Of course some of the rules aren't for everyone. There are many people in the challenge who don't like films, and there are many who don't like reading. But it is a reading & film challenge. That's just what it is. The reason you keep hearing "start your own challenge" is because you are clearly unhappy with the rules of this challenge.

I said I was going to be blunt, but I've already given half an hour of my reading time to writing this post. (I originally wrote "wasted" but I still live in hope).

8 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4628 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 536 of 766
18 July 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm so confused about rules now and I don't want to waste any time reading anymore about it.

So now I declare that that all my logs in Super Challenge are for private use only.

Thank you

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version