Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 89 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
@surrealix, that is absolutely amazing!

Thank you so much for all you have done :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 90 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
surrealix wrote:
As you may have noticed, there's been an update to the Twitter Bot's
webpage! If you
haven't seen it, head over there
now
to take a look.

Surrealix, this looks great! Many thanks for your work, and now all the best for your Supper Challenge!

Hey, a Supper Challenge - I want one of those :-)

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5031 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 91 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
For some reason when I first looked (just after Surrealix posted) it looked really odd - basically the old version, but cramped. Looking again now though it displays correctly and I agree with every one else - it looks fantastic!

Thanks for all your hard work on this, Surrealix!

Edited by Tamise on 10 May 2014 at 11:00am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 92 of 766
10 May 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

Something I've had in the back of my mind for a while is implementing a type of
badge/reward system to help with motivation. I've gone ahead and implemented this, but
the thresholds, conditions, and display can all be changed easily and I'd love to hear
some input on this.

On your profile page you can now see your current 'Sprint' and 'Streak'. These are the
number of continuous days or weeks you've reported studying to the twitter bot. I
realise some people - myself included - only tweet when we've finished a complete book
or watched a complete movie. You don't have to pay attention to these awards, and
ignoring them isn't going to affect your challenge score.

But for those who are interested in this, you'll get a small badge next to your name
when you reach 10, 20, or 40 consecutive days of studying (Bronze, Silver and Gold
respectively). There's also one for the number of consecutive weeks - at 5, 10 and 20.
There are a couple of issues with timezones here I need to iron out, but you should see
these start appearing over the next few weeks as people keep recording their study.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about these changes! Do you like the new
design? Are the badges too intimidating? Is anyone else excited to see the first star?

I love the new cleaner look. And I love the idea of additional incentives and rewards. So I fully support the idea of the weekly streak. However, I really don't like the idea of having a daily streak. As you said, a lot of us prefer to tweet when we complete a book. Others like to tweet every 50 pages. Either way makes for a nice clean looking list, which is also helpful for other Super Challengers to look at to get ideas. What a daily streak will encourage is a lot of bitty tweets. Of course, people who want to can do this anyway, but I think the daily streak will make it seem like daily tweets are the norm and expected. The Super Challenge is about larger accomplishments, and a weekly streak fits in well with that. In short, I think the daily sprint goes against the nature of the challenge, and will make people feel they *have* to tweet daily.

In addition, the people who are tweeting daily (and I myself have a 7 day streak in French films) aren't the ones who need encouragement. They are already at the top of the leaderboard. We need something to encourage the people further down, and the weekly tweet streak is something they can feel is achievable. But seeing all those 7-day badges above them might also be discouraging: one more reason they aren't succeeding.

I know you said we can just ignore these badges if we feel like it. But people who sign up for challenges are usually competitive people.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 93 of 766
10 May 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
The site looks awesome!

And I like the idea of a streak / sprint badge, but I agree with Jeffers that it might
impact the readability of the lists. I like to look at what people are reading too, but
if there are hundreds of five-page tweets it'll be rough.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 94 of 766
10 May 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Is the streak thing supposed to be per language? :/
Also, does it count according to the bot's timezone? i don't mind it per se but it would be good to have an easy way to check how much time you have to report your progress. also i hope editing counts?

With gigantic lists, I only have a rather time-consuming suggestion. completed stars could be just displayed as stars, and expanded/collapsed on click. So by default the list is only for the star in progress.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4017 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 95 of 766
10 May 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Suzie wrote:
surrealix wrote:
As you may have noticed, there's been an update to the Twitter Bot's
webpage! If you
haven't seen it, head over there
now
to take a look.

Surrealix, this looks great! Many thanks for your work, and now all the best for your Supper Challenge!

Hey, a Supper Challenge - I want one of those :-)

Oops :-)
If a Supper Challenge, then not beyond a Super Supper Challenge...
Ok, getting silly now..

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 96 of 766
10 May 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I think the streak idea is awesome, but I agree that it would be better to have only weekly streaks. I know
myself well enough to know that I would probably go read a 500 page French book, post it when I read it in
the 6wc, but '"save them for a rainy day " when I could not see a film or complete 50 pages of Russian for the
Super Challenge.

Also everything Jeffers said.

Weekly streaks however would be absolutely fantastic, because that would keep us on our toes, and foster
consistency without us breaking our necks:-)

I have also been thinking of having week long or day long "spurts", Or very short "competitions" (mainly with
ourselves). We do not need them now, because lack of motivation does not seem to be an issue :-), but when
some months have passed, and we are getting low on blood sugar and motivation, we could have mini
challenges such as:

- read as many pages in the TL as possible in one day/week
- see how many words you can read in 10 minutes, and measure it again every second month to see
progress
- see how many unknown words you need to look up in one page - measure again after some time.
- jot down at least 50 words from a film you watch
- or any other proposal this very creative crowd can come up with :-)

The Super Mini challenges - for reviving motivation :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 May 2014 at 1:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version