Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 449 of 766
10 July 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the inspiration to read L'homme qui plantait des arbres, Kanewai. I found another source for the text, which you can use without an account. Scribd has both the pdf and a txt version. I'll have to test which one works better on my kindle later.

L'homme text

EDIT: Scribd is a pay site. Darn.

Edited by Jeffers on 10 July 2014 at 11:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4547 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 450 of 766
11 July 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Is "news radio" legal? It seems to be the same thing as a podcast,
only live. I seem to remember some rule against radio. Maybe it was
a rule against background listening.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 451 of 766
12 July 2014 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I've found two more interesting French resources. I might make this mini-challenge a habit.

Audio: France Culture Jeunesse

Une histoire d'Ulysse de Jean-Pierra Vernant. A Greek historian recounts the Odyssey to an audience of children. Two parts, 30 minutes each.

Transcript
25 pages at 350 words per page. 33 pages at 250 words/page.

Le roman de Tristan et Iseut renouvelé par Joseph Bédier. A modern (well, 1913) version of the medieval romance. Adapted by Hervé Prudon. 1 hr 27 minutes.

Text
The audio is an adaption; a lot is the same as the text, but not all (based upon the couple minutes I reviewed it). 126 to 176 pages, depending on how you count.

I would love to find texts for the Polar & SF podcasts on France Culture, but haven't had much luck yet. Le monde occasionally posts summaries, and it looks like you can buy the stories, but I haven't been able to figure out the system yet.

Edited by kanewai on 12 July 2014 at 4:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4547 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 452 of 766
12 July 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Dumb question, I guess. I suppose the answer is somewhere in
these threads.
I can't find it.
I'm going to have a glass of port.
:-)

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4044 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 453 of 766
12 July 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:

From what I understand of the challenge, ANY listening (except for live person-to-person interaction) is allowed,
sfuqua. I will often tune into the "live radio" part of a French telecommunications website, just to get in a few
minutes of ear training, in the natural high-speed speech of commentators. I actually find radio more useful than
watching a film, since you only have the voice to focus on; with a film, my attention will sometimes wander away,
and I'll find myself wanting to "watch" other things, like my computer screen ...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 454 of 766
12 July 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
I am a bit hesitant to radio, because mostly it would tend to blend into background noise. I think we should
have more focus than that. However if you chose a particular radio programme that interests you, the fact
that it is on the radio itself does not disqualify it. It could be a programme on an author you like, or a novel
being read out, or a specific topic that holds your interest. But "30 minutes of random radio" is not my idea of
how this challenge would be.

Do not be afraid to use the same material over again if you do not have a lot of variety, though. I am listening
to Harry Potter in Russian for the third time in three weeks now, and am amazed at the progress. The first
time I listened to it was torture. I only knew where I was in the text occasionally, and mostly because of a
single word which gave me a clue. The second time over I could make out entire scenes, and know exactly
where I was, and now the third time I understand several whole sentences.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 455 of 766
12 July 2014 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
VivianJ5 wrote:
sfuqua wrote:

From what I understand of the challenge, ANY listening (except for live person-to-person interaction) is allowed,
sfuqua. I will often tune into the "live radio" part of a French telecommunications website, just to get in a few
minutes of ear training, in the natural high-speed speech of commentators. I actually find radio more useful than
watching a film, since you only have the voice to focus on; with a film, my attention will sometimes wander away,
and I'll find myself wanting to "watch" other things, like my computer screen ...

Actually the radio isn't allowed. It was WAY WAY back in the thread where this was discussed but sorry, no radio. And even audio books only just snuck under the wire.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
tastyonions wrote:
Could there be a listening / radio version of the challenge as well? :-)

Well, audio books are allowed, but I am a little more hesitant about the radio. You need an iron will to stay concentrated with something which normally just tends to be background noise. And I must admit that it was with much hesitation that I went for audio book, since you lose the combination of audio and the visual which you get through a film :-)

EDIT: Snap, Solfrid beat me to it, because she is the final authority, but I had to go and look it up!

Edited by rdearman on 12 July 2014 at 10:55am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 456 of 766
12 July 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I've found two more interesting French resources. I might make this mini-challenge a habit.

Audio: France Culture Jeunesse

Une histoire d'Ulysse de Jean-Pierra Vernant. A Greek historian recounts the Odyssey to an audience of children. Two parts, 30 minutes each.

Transcript
25 pages at 350 words per page. 33 pages at 250 words/page.

Le roman de Tristan et Iseut renouvelé par Joseph Bédier. A modern (well, 1913) version of the medieval romance. Adapted by Hervé Prudon. 1 hr 27 minutes.

Text
The audio is an adaption; a lot is the same as the text, but not all (based upon the couple minutes I reviewed it). 126 to 176 pages, depending on how you count.

I would love to find texts for the Polar & SF podcasts on France Culture, but haven't had much luck yet. Le monde occasionally posts summaries, and it looks like you can buy the stories, but I haven't been able to figure out the system yet.

How did you find that source of transcripts? I have had an eye (ear?) on the France Culture Jeuness page, but so far I didn't quite feel up to that much listening without the opportunity to check a transcript. Thank you, Kanewai, you are on a roll!

Edited by Jeffers on 12 July 2014 at 12:23pm

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version