Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 305 of 766
21 May 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I'm reading extensively for the Super Challenge, so I don't track unknown words at all. The only time I look up a
word is if it "bugs" me - I keep seeing it and need to know what it is, or not knowing it keeps me from
understanding the text. Yesterday, for instance, after reading the word "petate" over and over, I got annoyed and
looked it up. It turns out that it means sleeping mat.

I like reading intensively as well, looking up every new word - but I do it much less often, and usually with articles
rather than novels.
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 306 of 766
21 May 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Hey all,

My story is one of an obsession with courses and one of procrastination... I've gotten past the 2nd issue it
seems a little while back now (I'm not silly enough to think it won't 'attempt' to make a comeback tho).. As for
my course obsession, well I still love doing courses, but I have 2 people in particular to thank for getting me to
read as well (it took some doing to break down my barriers/ the stranglehold the courses held on me- it's the
courses fault not mine!)..

so thanks emk for your ever sound advice and persistence in advising me to read, and Jeffers thanks for
nudging me into doing the SC... Other ppl also advised me to read, sorry I can't recall all of you at the
moment, but thanks for your support all the same.

The first couple of days or so I took a little bit to wind up to get my head around the SC, but then i took off like
a rocket (ok ok a rocket for me, many others are much quicker at reading). I dropped my courses completely
as I found the leaderboard extremely motivating... clawing my way off the bottom right up near the top. I've
slowed down a little now as I reintroduced my Dutch studies (totally dropped it as my SC in French
completely took over my attention- I don't want to read yet in Dutch), and i have returned to doing courses as
well. I'm balancing everything but the thing is i'm actually reading now because of the SC and those that
recommended me to take part. That's def a good thing!

My techniques with reading involves reading each page of a book twice. The first read through I decide on a
word I want to add to my flashcard deck as a new word. The second read through I feel more comfortable
with the page and consequently move onto the next page repeating the process. This is my quicker way of
reading. My slower reading involves adding every new word (usually utilising my French learning magazines)
with the aim not to progress quickly but to thoroughly comprehend all whilst acquiring new vocab in context.

PM
3 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 307 of 766
21 May 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I'm reading extensively for the Super Challenge, so I don't track unknown
words at all. The only time I look up a
word is if it "bugs" me - I keep seeing it and need to know what it is, or not knowing
it keeps me from
understanding the text. Yesterday, for instance, after reading the word "petate" over
and over, I got annoyed and
looked it up. It turns out that it means sleeping mat.

I like reading intensively as well, looking up every new word - but I do it much less
often, and usually with articles
rather than novels.

I do this in English too (however I look up words I don't know while reading with my
reader, which is done in seconds..)
But in Spanish I'm just at a low level and really need to look up much in order to get
what is happening. Thats why I started with a graded reader, which is very short has
many mini-chapters. At this time just this level 0 reader is a bit too much, however, I
improved and read like 3 pages without looking anything up (Actaully becose I dried my
hair and didn't have a hand free to do so :D). I managed to get the gist, but I
understand much more with looking things up and FOR ME that's more interesting.
At the moment I see reading as a vocab practice which I find more interesting than just
writing down words from word lists or going through a coursebook (which I do, too, but
the stories in there are not always good)

I hope that, when I continue like that, I might be able to extensively read a book in
September. That's when I'm in Spain and have time. I always find it even harder to get
the gist when I only have half an hour of time to read... I'm so slow - especially in a
new language - and only manage to read a few pages then...

I also actually wanted to start with Harry Potter because I know that story so well.
But it was way to hard at the moment. I'll try Charlie and the Chocolate factory and
other Roald Dahl books (sorry, but I can't remember right now, who suggested this, but
I think it's a great suggestion.. I actually didn't know that charlie is also a
novel... I only watched the film ^^)

PeterMollenburg wrote:
i have returned to doing courses as
well. I'm balancing everything but the thing is i'm actually reading now because of the
SC and those that

I think I'm a bit like you in this point. I like courses. I like to have them as a
guide or companion. Otherwise I never know where to start with all the grammar and then
I just do nothing at all.
At the moment however, i haven't found a balance to my learning Spanish. As stated
above I started reading HP1 and it was to hard. I now read Lola Lago 1 which is a level
0 graded reader. And even there I have to look up much in order to get the gist..
But I don't mind. I don't mind that I'm slow or anything. It's better than doing
nothing, right? One could see this graded reader as a course. One chapter is only 1
page (sometimes more or less) and I look up vocab etc. So quite similar to a course,
right? :D

PeterMollenburg wrote:
My techniques with reading involves reading each page of a book
twice. The first read through I decide on a
word I want to add to my flashcard deck as a new word. The second read through I feel
more comfortable
with the page and consequently move onto the next page repeating the process. This is
my quicker way of
reading. My slower reading involves adding every new word (usually utilising my French
learning magazines)
with the aim not to progress quickly but to thoroughly comprehend all whilst acquiring
new vocab in context.

I like this idea, however, I would be bored right away when reading every page twice..
I often get bored when I reread a book. I always think I know everything and then it's
no fun (there are exeptions, but there are always exeptions... everywhere)
At the moment I'm doing the second way of yours... Looking up EVERYTHING I don't
understand.

Actually it's a pity that I don't know even basic vocaubary after one year of learning,
but the university course was more to learn university-related stuff.. That's why I
learn on my own now, and I do much more than I did for and in the course..
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 308 of 766
21 May 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:

PeterMollenburg wrote:
i have returned to doing courses as
well. I'm balancing everything but the thing is i'm actually reading now because of the
SC and those that

I think I'm a bit like you in this point. I like courses. I like to have them as a
guide or companion. Otherwise I never know where to start with all the grammar and then
I just do nothing at all.
At the moment however, i haven't found a balance to my learning Spanish. As stated
above I started reading HP1 and it was to hard. I now read Lola Lago 1 which is a level
0 graded reader. And even there I have to look up much in order to get the gist..
But I don't mind. I don't mind that I'm slow or anything. It's better than doing
nothing, right? One could see this graded reader as a course. One chapter is only 1
page (sometimes more or less) and I look up vocab etc. So quite similar to a course,
right? :D

PeterMollenburg wrote:
My techniques with reading involves reading each page of a book
twice. The first read through I decide on a
word I want to add to my flashcard deck as a new word. The second read through I feel
more comfortable
with the page and consequently move onto the next page repeating the process. This is
my quicker way of
reading. My slower reading involves adding every new word (usually utilising my French
learning magazines)
with the aim not to progress quickly but to thoroughly comprehend all whilst acquiring
new vocab in context.

I like this idea, however, I would be bored right away when reading every page twice..
I often get bored when I reread a book. I always think I know everything and then it's
no fun (there are exeptions, but there are always exeptions... everywhere)
At the moment I'm doing the second way of yours... Looking up EVERYTHING I don't
understand.

Actually it's a pity that I don't know even basic vocaubary after one year of learning,
but the university course was more to learn university-related stuff.. That's why I
learn on my own now, and I do much more than I did for and in the course..

Hi Komma,

Thanks for sharing. Keep up your reading no matter how you approach it you're learning, and that's the
idea... persistence pays off :)

At the risk of ending this message on a very short note, I'll add a little sth else...,

If you are into courses I found Destinos (all components together) helped me immensely with Spanish on all
levels- reading, writing, speaking, listening. It's by far the best Spanish course I've ever come across.
Unfortunately my Spanish today is not very noteworthy, hence overcoming procrastination has been a
particularly strong goal of mine. Nevertheless it's an awesome course...

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4547 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 309 of 766
21 May 2014 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
I've been reading each page twice also. I read once, making sure I understand it from the parallel text. Then I read again the next day; if I don't get it the second time through, I may cycle through a third time the third day.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 310 of 766
21 May 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
I've been reading each page twice also. I read once, making sure I understand it from the
parallel text. Then I read again the next day; if I don't get it the second time through, I may cycle through a
third time the third day.

Hi sfuqua,

Actually I do something similar. Once I get to the end of a chapter, I go back to the start of the chapter and re-
read through again- twice each page, but picking a different word each page to add to my FC deck. I'm sure
by the end of the book my vocab will have improved substantially with regard to the type of subject matter
found in that particular book. Like you sfuqua I have parallel texts on my hit list. Good luck sfuqua with your
SC!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 311 of 766
21 May 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I've been using the challenge as a way of keeping track of my activities in Italian: more persistence than enthusiasm.

I've also noticed that some people are very committed. At this rate, some could win their challenges by the end of summer, let alone December 2015.

I also read somewhere that the number of people that actually finished the previous challenge is quite small (this is surprising - maybe I misread it).

Is there a page / thread / bot where I can check the evolution of the previous challenge? I think it would be instructive.

Edited by Luso on 21 May 2014 at 5:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 312 of 766
21 May 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Here are the previous year's stats.
Here's the list of the completed challenges. (note that two people were doing different languages from the Patate account)

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version