PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 513 of 766
17 July 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
ok I think I'm clear tnx peoples, I'm off to bed, flying interstate tomorrow, fun-ola. Know what I'm sayin' for
realzies

MC Real Dealio Ya Feelz
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 514 of 766
17 July 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
All right, I've decided. I'm going to count only core ideas from now on:

TV series and movies
full novels or non-fiction books

Nothing else…no podcasts, no articles, etc. I'll still do them, of course, but I won't count them towards the Super
Challenge.

I only have one small question…will I maintain my streak if I only log video every week? I don't finish a whole novel
in a week, and I don't like to tweet a novel in bits and pieces.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 515 of 766
17 July 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
The streak stays if you post something for your language, doesn't matter if it's only film or only book.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 516 of 766
17 July 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Somehow I think PeterMollenburg, Jeffers and I are all in violent agreement with
everything except the ease of listening to newscasters.

I know documentaries are allowed. I was just saying if I were going to do a challenge I would define a
film as fiction of 60+ minutes. It would just make my life as moderator to the challenge easier, and I just want
an easy life. ;-)

Moderation of books is easy, like you quoted above they are just word counts. But the definition of a film is
more ambiguous and therefore more open to debate. So if you define it as a work of fiction only, and with 60+
minutes it gets around all the objections of "I want to listen to my aunt Nessie speaking in Gaelic with
FaceTime on my iphone.", or "I want to count watching my tutor on skype".

You have NO idea how much I regret making exceptions from my original idea. This discussion is totally
draining me of all energy.

I hope that with this graph that Jeffers set up we can move to more productive activities. I would for instance
be interested in knowing how people are getting on with the Super Challenge so far ( not the statistics, I can
get those from the bot) - what have you liked best, any cultural experiences in a TL, when is the best time for
you to read/watch, and do you see any progress already? And I am really interested to hear how the most
dedicated ones manage to do so much.

Personally I am fairly satisfied with my progress in films/audiobooks, but my reading is lagging sadly behind. I
am on my third round of the audiobook of the Harry Potter series in Russian, and have noted progress in my
listening. I also watched the last film in the series with subtitles, and was really happy to see how much I
understand now compared to the first time I saw it. I find subtitles to be enormously useful in learning new
expressions and vocabulary, and would have voted to have it every time if I could. They do not take my
attention away from the TL or make me lazy, they just let me learn more.

I have however been a tad unhappy with the fact that almost everything I have read or seen have been
American books or films in translation. A couple of days ago I did however see a little gem that Russians
watch on New Year's Eve called 'Irony of Fate". I will not go into detail, as those belong in the update thread,
but just share my joy at watching something genuinely Russian and of having seen what must be the cutest
smile in film history. I'm in love :-)   One of my heroes in the Super Challenge has been Kanewaii, who
focused on reading real French films and real French books. Sadly, I do not have much native material, and
getting through a book is such an enormous struggle for me, that I need the crutch of it being somewhat
familiar, but my dream for the next Super Challenge is to do all genuine, original Russian material.

So: Let's have some inspirational stories :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 517 of 766
17 July 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin - have you looked at the TV series with transcriptions that was posted on polydog? That actually
intrigued me enough that I'm considering learning Russian! Haha!

I'm doing well with reading. I'm not zooming through any books, but I'm reading a steady 15-20 pages per night
(well, most nights - sometimes I take a 3 or 4 day break), which takes me about half an hour. I need to take a
break from children's books after I finish the Percy Jackson series, though. I miss books for grown-ups! I'm
planning on reading Como Agua Para Chocolate as my first novel originally written in Spanish.

TV and films are harder. I don't know why. I guess because I'm only in the mood to watch TV at night when I'm
tired, but in the evening I don't want to stick on earphones and ignore my husband. I'm going to have to schedule
in some watching, since I'm only averaging one episode of a TV series per week. At that rate, I won't make it.

But I've started watching a new series that I think will be really good! It's called "El Tiempo Entre Costuras" and it's
set during the Spanish Civil War. Apparently it's based on a bestselling Spanish novel, so I'm going to have to see
if I can find a copy.

El Tiempo Entre Costuras on DramaFever
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 518 of 766
17 July 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I have to say, I'm lucky compared to you Cristina, because my main SC language, French, has such a rich vein of films and books to mine. My second language, Hindi, actually has more films than Hollywood. But reading in Hindi is still slow because my vocabulary has been slipping away in the 9 years since I left India.

I know from the history of Bollywood that many Hindi films from the 50s and 60s were popular in the USSR. Partly because they were allowed in the USSR (unlike American films, I suspect), and partly because the song tunes were appealing to the audiences. I have this idea somewhere in the back of my head that the USSR produced some of their own spy films (of course the English and Americans were the villains). But what is happening in Russian cinema these days?

EDIT: I have to second the appreciation of Kanewai in this challenge. He has led me to many good book and film choices.

Edited by Jeffers on 17 July 2014 at 3:32pm

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4117 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 519 of 766
17 July 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Still a hot topic.

A few questions:
-I'll be reading Harry Potter in Russian and in Finnish, simultaneously, can I count
both? I looked at listening and reading for Finnish, but that would leave me completely
lost, given that I only know about 3 words per page.

On that topic, do I have to understand the film to count it? :P

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 520 of 766
17 July 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
My favourite cultural experience was the excursion in St Petersburg in Finnish :/ Did you read my explanation? Oh well, if you don't find it convincing, then I can switch between languages when having the excursion in Moscow.

I also loved a Firenze guidebook with tests/exercises, and a book about the history of Italy that I'm still reading.

Oh and why am I not mentioning the world cup? I got some experience with Swiss Italian for the first time, and it was especially great to listen to the matches of Switzerland with their commentary.

Also, this book is just amazing. Parallel poetry yum.

And I've started this coursera course.

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version