Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 465 of 766
14 July 2014 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Just to clarify, PM, audiobooks count as watching not as reading.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 466 of 766
14 July 2014 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Just to clarify, PM, audiobooks count as watching not as reading.

Cheers :)
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 467 of 766
14 July 2014 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
The metric I've used to determine whether to count material or not is: is there a
central narrative?

Books and movies are easy: yes
Audiobooks: also, yes
Podcasts: some. I'll count a history podcast, or a documentary on a subject. I count,
let's say, A History of the Empress Josephine, but don't count The News in Slow French
(which I also listen to).

I don't count the news, magazines, webpages, channel surfing, random browsing, etc.
They're all good, but too far removed from the original concept.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 468 of 766
14 July 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Well, I love the hop-on-hop-off excursions with pre-made recordings. I don't see how it's different from watching a travel show (if anything, it's better). I guess it makes sense for excursions with a guide, but then why does theatre count?

PeterMollenburg wrote:
I found some French commentary this morning for the later stages of the World Cup final to go with my muted tv watching. I'd never consider including this.

lol

now that I'm done lol'ing... these have the same advantages as TV-series, especially if you get to listen to the same commentators.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 469 of 766
14 July 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Serpent has a long history of learning languages by watching football, and this is a well-established precedent from the previous Super Challenge, so I wouldn't argue about that.

But the reason theatre was accepted is that it is essentially the same as a movie, but hasn't been filmed. It is a story, with dialogue and visual. If anything, a play is closer to the film concept than an audiobook. I think the main difference could be put down to the fact that watching a film is entirely passive. This sounds bad, but it actually means you can do nothing but watch/listen.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4343 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 470 of 766
14 July 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I am guilty of having counted a theatre play and I agree with what Jeffers has said; it's a visual story so it doesn't feel any different than a film to me.

I have just started listening to my first audio book as I have been struggling with the speed of speech in films/TV programmes and my first impressions are that audio books seem a whole lot easier because the speech is so slow. I think you need to be careful with just listening though - or, at least, I do - because it's easier to drift off for a few minutes and not concentrate properly than if you have the visual stimulation of simultaneously watching action on a screen. On the other hand, audio books are a constant stream of TL whereas films are often interrupted by long periods of silence/atmospheric music where no one is actually talking, so overall it probably balances out.

I do confess I have counted some news-magazine programmes towards my films. It hadn't occurred to me that they don't have a narrative so perhaps don't quite fulfil the spirit of a 'film'. I feel like the news is easier to understand when you're a beginner in a language than a TV episode.

Edited by Radioclare on 14 July 2014 at 12:28pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 471 of 766
14 July 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Ha ha, I guess the occasional discussion of what counts keeps us all honest and reminds us of what the challenge is about. I have counted watching the news from the beginning of the previous SC. It has always seemed to me that watching documentaries, news, TV series, etc, all fit in with the idea of "film". More so than audiobooks, and so during the last SC I refused to count any listening, because I was sticking stricly to the idea of watching. I still got to 100 films.

This time, however, I have bowed to peer pressure, and have been counting audio as films (but I've added "audiobook:" to the title for the Twitterbot). As I'm including audio, I actually hope to get to 200 "films" in French: 100 watching and 100 listening. I haven't counted the two times I listened to Rfi's Journal en Francais Facile, but I wouldn't argue against someone who wanted to count it. If I was listening to it regularly, I would probably want to count several episodes together, but I don't want to count 10 minutes on its own (it feels too "bitty" to me).

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 472 of 766
14 July 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Humm... I just watch TV shows and read books. I did tweet an audiobook about Sherlock Holmes, and a podcast "les lundis de l'histoire" but I have to say I much prefer just films and books, and I could happily get by with strict adherence to those. But I don't like audio books in English either; I'd rather just read the book. So I might not be the best example to go by.

I personally would have theatre count, unless it is a musical. But the film "mama mia" would count so ...

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version