United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 361 of 766
03 June 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Couldn't we just have an additional column with at the end with another star? If you've done:

Books/Films = 50/50 = Bronze Star
Books/Films = 100/100 = Silver Star
Books/Films = 200/200 = Gold Star

Just to cover the half/full/double challenge categories?

That would tell you at a glance what your standing is, and no need for capping.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 362 of 766
03 June 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Given that the default goal is 100 and not 200, I think it's best to choose another name, but otherwise I agree :)

@surrealix, well, what did you expect when implementing a new great feature? :)

Also, as I said, for me it doesn't display after 2 weeks but only three. I've also not been able to find anyone with an ongoing 2-week streak. (or why doesn't my Finnish currently have a two-week streak? I'm not whining, just trying to understand)

Yay about check marks!

As for editing, I meant for example that if you edit an entry next week, it won't count for the consistency badge so you should do a separate update, right? Not that I do it much, but for example I'll need to be careful with removing old tweets now. I tend to report small bits if I'm impatient and then delete them and tweet the full count instead, now it could ruin a streak. (if I do f*ck up, will it be possible to get a removed entry back?)

BTW, we had a discussion in the update thread too. I hope rdearman's comment puts my "ranting" into perspective. I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, but I need to know things very clearly. (And on a more personal note this was my final year at university and today it's all finally over, now just formalities left)

Am I really the only one who misses being able to know who's done more than you on totals, btw? I think it's a pity that this option was removed completely. Even if it's no longer the primary ranking, I hate not being able even to know (other than by counting manually). It's also frustrating to be forced to use the ranking that upsets me most simply in order to see all my languages listed together with the consistency streaks. I tried to use the random sorting but the biggest downside is that it shows individual entries randomly and not users.

I'm not asking for anything specific though, and I'm definitely grateful for the motivation your bot has already given me, especially in the first challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 363 of 766
03 June 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

However, for the sake of argument, if 150 books shouldn't rank higher than 100, where
does it rank?
- They can't be in order, or 150 would rank higher than 100.
- I can't put equal entries side-by-side because there simply isn't enough room.
- If entries start dropping down the list again when you get over 100, that's going to
make things *really* confusing.
- Another option would be to randomly shuffle entries over 100, but this makes it hard
to just glance at the list and see your statistics because your entry will be in a
different place each time.

I might just be confused about what you're asking for, but when you talk about
"capping", what do you envisage the page looking like?

Well, but what are the current tie-breaker criteria, if any? Why not just list everyone with 100+ items alphabetically?

Also, I'm likely to be alone in that, but I think 100/100 in one language and 50 of anything in another should be ranked higher than 150/100 in the same language. The reality is still that most people sign up with more than one language, so working on all of them shouldn't be penalized.

Quote:
People who complete a challenge (even a half challenge) will always rank higher than those who don't, if you sort by the stars column.

And how does that work? is it ranked higher if you get the same number of stars in audio/reading, as opposed to having them divided unevenly as 3/1 or 4/0 (etc) in either direction?

Quote:
Jeffers wrote:
I think it displays when you have 10 or less items to the next star.

Yes :).

Has the idea been changed or do you still plan to display more info than that?

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 364 of 766
04 June 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I'll try and keep this short, although my updates always end up using more virtual ink
than I'd like.

rdearman wrote:
Couldn't we just have an additional column with at the end with
another star? If you've done: Books/Films = 50/50 = Bronze Star [... etc]

I don't think this will be needed. It hasn't been visible because nobody's completed a
challenge yet, but once you have completed one then the blue star(s) will be replaced
by a larger Bronze/Silver/Gold star. It's then easy to see who has and hasn't
completed each challenge.

Serpent wrote:
for me it doesn't display after 2 weeks but only three.

You're probably right, I'd have to double check the code to be certain but it's
something like that.

Serpent wrote:
I tend to report small bits if I'm impatient and then delete them and
tweet the full count instead, now it could ruin a streak.

Yes, if you delete the only entry from a week it will break the streak. If you do it by
accident I can reinstate the tweet or override the streak, don't fret too much about
that.

Serpent wrote:
I hope rdearman's comment puts my "ranting" into perspective. I'm
honestly not trying to be difficult, but I need to know things very clearly.

I don't mind explaining how things work :). Although to be honest at this point I think
you know more about how the bot reacts than I do!. I really appreciate all the bugs
you and the others on this forum manage to find. I don't use the bot enough to run into
these issues myself, and if nobody reports them then I can't fix them.

However tracking these down isn't much fun, so apologies if I end up coming across a
bit short. I promise I'm being grumpy at the code and not whoever reported it!

Serpent wrote:
I think it's a pity that this option was removed completely. Even if
it's no longer the primary ranking, I hate not being able even to know

I haven't quite figured out how to fit it into the interface, but the code for that
ranking is still there and I'd like to add it back at some point. It's not quite as
simple as switching it back on, but next time I do a big update I'll try to include
this.

Edited by surrealix on 04 June 2014 at 2:18pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 365 of 766
04 June 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for being so patient! <3
as for the totals, maybe something like this?
-the participants can be numbered, and then clicking on that column would use the current main ranking.
-the totals can be displayed under the username, and the participant column can be used for this sorting

Or the participant column could alternate between random/by best language/totals as you keep clicking.
And of course there could be a separate column for totals, but that would steal a lot of space.

BTW about tracking when you have no internet access: it's possible to use an app that schedules tweets for you. so you can schedule a tweet of, say, 5 pages or 5 minutes, and then edit/delete it afterwards depending on how much you actually achieve.

Edited by Serpent on 04 June 2014 at 8:41pm

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4968 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 366 of 766
04 June 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
You can also use twitter by text message, although I haven't tried it personally yet.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 367 of 766
04 June 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
not in all countries

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4968 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 368 of 766
04 June 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
??? Well no, but in 101 countries.... Of course it doesn't help you if you also don't
have cell reception or are going without a phone.

Also now that I look it says you may be charged international message rates. Which kind
of defeats the purpose of having it in so many countries if you ask me...

Edited by hjordis on 04 June 2014 at 11:27pm

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version