Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29
patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 225 of 229
16 May 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

I fail to see how London Weekend Television helps anyone learn any language other than English? I google searched and LWT = London Weekend Television... so, colour me confused.

Your Google is different from mine: Learning with Texts.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 226 of 229
16 May 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I fail to see how London Weekend Television helps anyone learn any language other than English? I google searched and LWT = London Weekend Television... so, colour me confused.

Your Google is different from mine: Learning with Texts.

:D

I actually have that installed on my computer. Ah well, colour me stupid then.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3771 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 227 of 229
19 May 2015 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Mork the Fiddle wrote:
No one mentions LWT in this thread, though I apologize if someone does and I missed it. LWT keeps track of words learned. LWT counts a "word" as an individual word, so that see, seen, seeing and sees count as four words. Somewhat confusingly, LWT also counts phrases and expressions as individual words, should the user choose to mark them as such. In LWT, "learn" means "passively learn for reading." Marking a word as learned is done by self-assessment. The user of LWT can mark a word as "known" at first sight, or can take a new word through several stages of recognition.

Seeing my vocabulary count grow motivates me, though I do not view the counts as final or as precise and this is not my only motivation. Counting word families or lemmas might be a tougher software issue, I don't know. Watching the count of lemmas grow would be slower, I suppose, but I think such a count would still motivate me.

Using LWT for learning Ancient Greek, currently I have "learned" 22,181 words, out of 61,366 words encountered. I do highlight phrases and expressions, but I almost never count them as "learned." I have chosen to "ignore" 4,861 words. This category for the most part covers proper nouns that I never expect to see again. I began studying Ancient Greek in this way January or February 2013, and I have spent on average an hour a day, every day, using LWT to learn Ancient Greek.

In fairness, I should add that I studied Ancient Greek in the far distant past as well as a more recent past, but although I retained a working knowledge of a lot of the grammar that I learned, almost none of the vocabulary stuck with me. I am studying Ancient Greek only to be able to read the literature.

You can find out more about LWT using HTLAL's search feature. I suppose that I should add that LWT is completely free.

Thanks for bringing this up. I like the idea of learning vocabulary in the process of reading, and any tool which makes this easier is a good thing. I've looked into LWT, and found it to be a lot like what Transparent Language was when it first came out in the early 90s (unfortunately, it's tried to become too many things). I'm curious about using it with Ancient Greek. Do they have texts available, or did you upload their own.

The main reason I didn't keep using LWT is that I don't do much learning on a computer. But now that I have a tablet, I will see if it works on my tablet browser. Thanks!

1 person has voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3771 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 228 of 229
19 May 2015 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
You have to upload your own texts to LWT.

Be forewarned that installing LWT is neither a trivial nor an impossible task. I found the following site to have a very helpful step-by-step installation guide for Windows, Mac or Linux: http://www.mezzoguild.com/how-to-install-learning-with-texts -lwt/ [note there should not be a space before -lwt in the url]. I installed LWT successfully in each of those three OS's, but I have no experience with Android devices. There is a small but fatal glitch in the Linux version, though there is a (computer geeky) workaround.

PM me if you want pointers about installing LWT or more information about using it. Same goes for anyone else thinking about using LWT.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 229 of 229
19 May 2015 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
There's also a web version on Benny's site (maybe there are others, no idea). and here's the main htlal thread about lwt.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version