Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 28 29 Next >>
Rhian
France
Joined 6299 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 229
04 May 2015 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Three reports about this thread in less than twelve hours? If you are old enough to participate in this forum then you
are old enough to keep your unpleasant words to yourself. If you can't avoid making it personal then don't post.
Tarvos your post has been deleted as it was purely for inflammation and contributed nothing to the discussion.
S_allard I would appreciate if you would revisit your last post in this thread and edit out the phrases such as "the
nasty piece of work here" or I will.

Could we all please get back on track? The discussion was raising some interesting points.
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 42 of 229
04 May 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Considering that nobody keeps track of the words that they learn in their native language, one can wonder why it
is of any use to do so in a foreign language.

Sure they do. It's a cornerstone of research in children's language acquisition. It's also relevant to education.
There's meaningful discussion about how useful vocabulary measurement is in tracking academic progress or
predicting performance in classes or standardized tests. And some people are just curious about how big their
vocabulary is. There are lots of sites on the Internet that cater to word-counters.

Let me rephrase what I wrote: Since nobody or very few people count the number of words they themselves are
learning in their native language, one can wonder why do so in a foreign language. I am not talking about
researchers and educators interested in the language skills of children. Neither am I talking about dictionary-
makers who have a professional interest in counting the words entering the language. I'm talking about people of
any age counting the number of words they learn over a given period.

Has anybody here done this for their native language? Are there people who have counted or even estimated how
many words they learned last year? I would be really curious to hear from HTLALers who keep track of the words
they learn in their own language. I have never heard of anything like this.

On the other hand, it is certainly true that we are continuously being exposed to new words. Every time I read the
Guardian newspaper from Britain, I meet at least a dozen words that I've never met in my life before. Many of
these words are Briticisms or references to events, people and places in Great Britain. Most I don't bother working
on because I will never have the occasion to use them.

Edited by s_allard on 04 May 2015 at 4:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 43 of 229
04 May 2015 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Let me rephrase what I wrote: Since nobody or very few people count the number of words they themselves are
learning in their native language, one can wonder why do so in a foreign language.

Probably for goal setting or to measure progress. I do this in the beginning stages, but then later on I find it more useful to count practice hours (e.g. 4 hours practiced per week for one year is about 200 hours).

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4711 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 44 of 229
04 May 2015 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Let me rephrase what I wrote: Since nobody or very few people count the number of words they themselves are learning in their native language, one can wonder why do so in a foreign language.

This is a specious argument. How many things do people do when learning a foreign language that they don't when learning their own? The list is probably endless, so why exclude counting vocabulary? Has anyone done Pimsleur in their own language? Has anyone found a language partner to practice their native tongue? How many adults use children's books in their own language because adult books are too advanced (other than adults learning to read). How many people search the net for podcasts with transcripts so they can improve their listening comprehension in their own language? How many shadow audio in their own language?

In fact, I think learning vocabulary is one activity that someone might actually do in their own language. There are books available for adult English speakers to improve their English vocabulary. It's not inconceivable that the people who buy these books might make flashcards, and it would then be quite likely that they would be able to say, "I learnt X words this year."
4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 45 of 229
04 May 2015 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm only learning one language (German) mostly by immersion (i.e., lots of reading/listening - some talking - no writing).

A few months ago I counted the number of unknown words I didn't know in 10 standard German novels, and found that I knew about 98%. Assuming word frequencies in German are similar to English, this would suggest I know about 7000-8000 word groups after about 2.5 years of study.

Anyway that's a total guesstimate, but it sort of clear from my own understandings of movies and books that I am not in the 3000 range and not in the 10000 range either, so it's not totally bad either.

If anyone wants to try the same thing: pick a number of novels and go through the first 1000 pages and count all the words you don't know. I counted 10 novels and the results were remarkably consistent. It's much easier if you have ebooks as you can cut and paste the text into a word processor and just delete all the words you know.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 46 of 229
04 May 2015 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Let me rephrase what I wrote: Since nobody or very few people count the
number of words they themselves are learning in their native language, one can wonder why do so in a foreign
language.

This is a specious argument. How many things do people do when learning a foreign language that they don't
when learning their own? The list is probably endless, so why exclude counting vocabulary? Has anyone done
Pimsleur in their own language? Has anyone found a language partner to practice their native tongue? How
many adults use children's books in their own language because adult books are too advanced (other than adults
learning to read). How many people search the net for podcasts with transcripts so they can improve their
listening comprehension in their own language? How many shadow audio in their own language?

In fact, I think learning vocabulary is one activity that someone might actually do in their own language. There
are books available for adult English speakers to improve their English vocabulary. It's not inconceivable that the
people who buy these books might make flashcards, and it would then be quite likely that they would be able to
say, "I learnt X words this year."

I agree with Jeffers that we do things when learning a foreign language that we don't necessarily do when
learning our own language. And, true, nothing prevents you from using foreign language learning techniques in
one's own language. Yes, there are many books on improving one's vocabulary. Plus, think of the huge number of
books on grammar and writing in one's native language.

But that is not the thrust of my argument. I'm simply saying that very few people --I would even say nobody--
counts or keeps track of the words they learn in their own language. I'm sure we all learn new words regularly.
How many did we learn last year? 125 or 300 or 1245?

Why do we not keep track of the words we learn? The answer is pretty simple: it's useless information. It's not
worth the effort. Our vocabulary expands and contracts according to use and need. I can name only about 10
kinds of flowers in French. My neighbour who is an avid gardener can name at least 50 kinds of flowers and
plants. So what? The day I decide to become a gardener I will start learning the necessary names.

I fully understand the fact that when learning a foreign language we write down words as we meet them. So, we
can count things: how many flash cards we have, the entries in our notebooks, the wordlists we make, etc. But
how important is it to know an exact number?

I understand the idea of benchmarking. I may want to study 20 flashcards a day or 500 a week or go down my
5000-word list in two months. Or, as some people have pointed out, I may want to see what percentage of words
I know on a page. All that is useful. But, to come back to my original question, why is it important to keep track
of how many words learnt? For example, what's the value of knowing that you learned 1500 words in French last
year?

Of course, there's another question that I won't even get into here and that's the question of what have you done
with the words learned. Have you ever used them? Are they just things you come across from time to time?

I see no difference between encountering all kinds of new words in a novel in my native language and same thing
in a foreign language. The only difference is that in my native language I will make a mental note of the new
word and retain it for the rest of the novel. I may or may not ever see it again. But with a foreign language novel
I'll probably write the word down in a list. In both cases, the numbers are not important.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7007 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 47 of 229
04 May 2015 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
The number of words learnt is helpful for gauging progress during the long road to language mastery. It's not
necessary, but it can be helpful if you wonder, "am I making any progress"? That sounds silly, but if one
thinks about someone who wants to lose 100 pounds. You drop 40 pounds and people notice. If you drop
the rest of the 60 pounds over the next 6 years, you will primarily get comments from people who haven't
seen in a while.

But if you know, "I'm losing a pound about a month", for the other weight, you know you're headed in right
direction.

Other than a signpost of progress and curiosity, the thread was given birth because it's interesting to find
those individuals who do much better than average. It's also nice to know, if you are average, that you're
doing okay.

The difference with unknown or fuzzy words in our native language, they are generally rare words in the
compass of our experience. If one decides to read 18th century high brow literature, one could decide, "may
as well try a technique that foreign language learner use to see if it helps".

If you're really looking for an answer to your question about how many words we learn in our native language
per year, it's about 1000 when we are school/learning and reading environment. Someone may produce the
graphic that we had floating around here some time back. The researchers were trying to corelate reading
and age and vocabulary. It was very interesting.   

Spoiler Alert! People who read more generally have larger vocabularies. This holds true throughout the
school years and most of the rest of life as well.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4861 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 48 of 229
05 May 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:

A few months ago I counted the number of unknown words I didn't know in 10 standard German novels, and
found that I knew about 98%. Assuming word frequencies in German are similar to English, this would suggest I
know about 7000-8000 word groups after about 2.5 years of study.

Anyway that's a total guesstimate, but it sort of clear from my own understandings of movies and books that I am
not in the 3000 range and not in the 10000 range either, so it's not totally bad either.

If anyone wants to try the same thing: pick a number of novels and go through the first 1000 pages and count all
the words you don't know. I counted 10 novels and the results were remarkably consistent. It's much easier if you
have ebooks as you can cut and paste the text into a word processor and just delete all the words you know.

Yes. And there are good reasons to think that the % coverage is more meaningful than the number of words
known. You can track your vocabulary coverage approaching 100% for particular types of materials, rather than
your vocabulary size going off slowly toward infinity. This is what Alexander Arguelles does on his website when
he reports his reading vocabulary in his languages, and he specifically claims that he knows no clearer way to
articulate how much he knows in them.

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version