Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 28 29 Next >>
daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4333 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 97 of 229
09 May 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
It's the impact on the listener that counts.

Indeed, this is why we are talking about vocabulary size. If I'm the listener and have a vocabulary size of X > Y, then the probability of understanding my interlocutor is greater than with a vocabulary size of Y.
If I use the language actively, I'm in control about what I'm saying, so the active vocabulary I need depends on what I want to say and how I want to say it. Depending on what you want to do and how well you can paraphrase your thoughts with a small vocabulary, you might not need to know many words.
For understanding other people, you don't have this luxury as you don't have control about what they say (well, you might have limited control). Big passive vocabulary sizes are needed to increase your odds of comprehension in an unknown situation. On the other hand if all I want to do is to listen to lectures about diachronic linguistics of the north-germanic languages, I can prepare much more specifically and therefore would be good with a lower vocabulary size, I just need to choose carefully what to study and what not. But if that's all I want to do, learning the language is probably a waste of time, why not pay a translator instead to make the information available in my native tongue?

Edited by daegga on 09 May 2015 at 6:58pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 98 of 229
09 May 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It's the impact on the listener that counts.

Indeed, this is why we are talking about vocabulary size. If I'm the listener and have a vocabulary size of X > Y,
then the probability of understanding my interlocutor is greater than with a vocabulary size of Y.
If I use the language actively, I'm in control about what I'm saying, so the active vocabulary I need depends on
what I want to say and how I want to say it. Depending on what you want to do and how well you can paraphrase
your thoughts with a small vocabulary, you might not need to know many words.
For understanding other people, you don't have this luxury as you don't have control about what they say (well,
you might have limited control). Big passive vocabulary sizes are needed to increase your odds of comprehension
in an unknown situation. On the other hand if all I want to do is to listen to lectures about diachronic linguistics
of the north-germanic languages, I can prepare much more specifically and therefore would be good with a lower
vocabulary size, I just need to choose carefully what to study and what not. But if that's all I want to do, learning
the language is probably a waste of time, why not pay a translator instead to make the information available in
my native tongue?

This is a variation of - suppose-the-person-in-the-bakery-asks-me-about-quantum-physi cs argument. I need
to learn 20000 words in French because I may be in a French bakery and the person behind the counter suddenly
decides to ask me a complicated technical question. I only hope that the question is about a subject whose words
I've studied.

If I may again quote or paraphrase myself: "Vocabulary expands and contracts according to use and need." If you
read a lot of articles on quantum physics, you will acquire the terminology of quantum physics. If you are
interested in submarines, you will acquire the vocabulary to discuss submarines with other aficionados.

Where's the problem? Do you read articles on quantum physics just in case you run into somebody who is
interested in this topic? Do we know all the words about everything in our native languages? A skill that we have
all acquired is how to use the vocabulary that we have to acquire more vocabulary. So, if I meet a neuroscientist
at a dinner party, do I have to have an extensive vocabulary of neuroscience to be able to talk to this person? Of
course not, if I show enough interest and intelligence, the person will adapt their language to my level of
vocabulary. And I will pick up some vocabulary at the same time.

As I explicitly said in my previous post, when I mention this idea of a small vocabulary nucleus, people
immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm saying that you need not learn anything else. Learn what you need as
you go along. Don't learn words just in case you might run into them.

Edit: corrected raraphrase to paraphrase.

Edited by s_allard on 10 May 2015 at 5:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 99 of 229
10 May 2015 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Maybe if you spent less time buying baked goods and more time studying vocabulary you'd be ready.

[Edit: sorry but I've seen this exaggerated example of quantum-physics-in-a-bakery one time too many.]

Edited by Jeffers on 10 May 2015 at 1:03am

5 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 100 of 229
10 May 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Don't learn words just in case you might run into them.

That is a good idea, can you loan me your psychic-time-travel device so I can go forward and write down exactly what words I'll need to know?
5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 101 of 229
10 May 2015 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Don't learn words just in case you might run into them.

That is a good idea, can you loan me your psychic-time-travel device so I can go forward and write down exactly
what words I'll need to know?

I totally agree. Aren't we saying the same thing? Since we don't know what words we'll need to know, why try to
learn them in advance?

As I have said here many times, there is no doubt that more (passive) vocabulary is better than less. If you want
to read a newspaper like the New York Times from cover to cover every day, you will need a huge vocabulary. The
same for El Pais or El mundo every day. Considering that the biggest Spanish dictionary contains 94000 words,
do you try to learn all 94000 words before opening El Pais? After all, you don't know what words will show up.

I may be wrong, but I think it's a bad idea to try to learn let's say 40000 Spanish words just in case. There are still
54000 that you will have missed.

I think a much more effective strategy is to learn that very small number of high-frequency words that are sure to
be there, including of course a solid grounding in grammar. Then learn the new words as you encounter them.
So, you build your vocabulary as you go along, seeing the words in context.

The funny thing is that this is exactly what we do in our native languages. Nobody says" Uh, I should learn 8000
words a year before trying to read The Guardian". I keep saying: Vocabulary will expand or contract according
to use and need. This doesn't seem hard to understand.

Edited by s_allard on 10 May 2015 at 3:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 102 of 229
10 May 2015 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If I may again quote or raraphrase myself

I don't want to sound muy raro while paraphrasing ;) It's great to be understood but even better to express yourself precisely.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 103 of 229
10 May 2015 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
It depends on the stage you're at. As a beginner, I'll settle for being understood. As an
intermediate learner, I'll settle for a phrase being grammatical (not necessarily
idiomatical, hopefully, but grammatically correct). As an advanced learner I'll focus on
the elegance. It doesn't make sense to fly if you can't run or even walk.
3 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4450 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 104 of 229
10 May 2015 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
After the first few thousand words I don't think anyone learns vocabulary from word lists or flash cards.
"Vocabulary will expand or contract according to use" is correct in my opinion, s_allard says "use and need" but
I'm not sure you can really learn a word via need.

But it's not just a case of learning whatever words we encounter. We select for ourselves what we read and
therefore which types of words are encountered. So if I think I might some day want to talk quantum mechanics with a
German, I should read some quantum mechanics books in German. If I don't know many generic science terms I should read
some sciencey stuff so I'm prepared for general conversations. This sort of planning ahead seems fairly reasonable to me.

Edited by AlexTG on 10 May 2015 at 4:35am

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version