Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 129 of 229
12 May 2015 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I want to be able to express myself using the target language like my
native language.

Then it's very simple. You will need a L2 active vocabulary equal to your L1 active vocabulary, then. Or, if you
move to Spain now and live your life in Spanish, doing all those things you listed, your L2/Spanish active
vocabulary will be equal to your L1 active vocabulary. Very simple.

What do you think the size of your L1 active vocabulary is? do-i-need-to-know-the-955-rule-in-language-learning-part-2/" >This link says, "according to Susie Dent,
lexicographer and expert in dictionaries, the average active vocabulary of an adult English speaker is of around
20,000 words, with a passive one of around 40,000 words".

If you do 20,000 flashcards over 3 years at 4 seconds per rep, your reps will take you 23 minutes a day
:D

To be serious here for a minute, as I've said before, the Spanish expert I mentioned said that the active
vocabulary of a very cultivated native speaker was around 5000 different words. Since I hardly call myself a
cultivated native speaker of English, I think that my active vocabulary in English, as defined as the words I've
used in the past 12 months as around 2500 different words. I would think that my target Spanish active
vocabulary is around that.

Again, as I pointed out, all 45 Spanish e-mails that I've written required less than a total of 500 different words. I
even think it's closer to 300. I'd be curious to see how these outlandish figures for active vocabulary are defined.

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 130 of 229
12 May 2015 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I highly recommend the article quoted as the source of the figure for a vocabulary of 20000 active words for a
native English speaker. Here is an interesting passage:

What is the difference between an active and a passive vocabulary? Simply put, an active vocabulary is
comprised of words that you can recall and use in a sentence yourself. A passive vocabulary, on the other hand,
is a vocabulary that you can recognize and know the definition of words, but are not able to use yourself.

Now, here’s where it gets interesting: although an average adult native English speaker has an active vocabulary
of about 20,000 words, the Reading Teachers Book of Lists claims that the first 25 words are used in 33% of
everyday writing, the first 100 words appear in 50% of adult and student writing, and the first 1,000 words are
used in 89% of every day writing! Of course, as we progressively move to a higher percentage, the number of
words starts to dramatically increase (especially after 95% of comprehension), but it has been said that a
vocabulary of just 3000 words provides coverage for around 95% of common texts (such as news items, blogs,
etc.). Liu Na and Nation (1985) have shown that this is the rough amount of words necessary before we can
efficiently learn from context with unsimplified text.

As pointed out, 3000 words gives you 95% coverage of common texts. That's pretty much in line with what I
suspect my active vocabulary is in English.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4871 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 131 of 229
12 May 2015 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
For the record, on this thread alone-- on a single topic-- s_allard has used the following 44 uncommon or
unusual words:

Quote:

implementation, contentious, graphically, egregious, purport, guesstimate, methodological, flabbergasted,
interlocutor, token, lemmatize, idiomatic, conjugate, mania, presumptuous, thrice, ire, alas, snarky, kernel, willy-
nilly, drivel, subjunctive, obtuse, twaddle, mnemonic, paramount, stymie, attenuate, Briticism, benchmarking,
cognate, quibble, rejoinder, hoary, phrasal, inaugural, chitchat, pedantic, quantum, auxiliary, debunk, meander,
ramble

In addition to this, despite the relatively narrow topic, he's also used the following "off-topic" words:

Quote:

rubber, shove, grail, iceberg, hoot, flower, gardener, dog, alley, bakery, physics, submarine, boil, sail, pun

And he's used these rare words as examples, but not in running sentences:
Quote:

pantograph, impecunious, bardolatry, go-getter, boogie

Now, I don't know how many unique words a typical native speaker uses, but to speak in the style of s_allard you
seem to need quite a few more than the bare minimum!

Of course, the quoted estimate of 20,000 is of words the person knows how to use, not the number they
have used in the past 12 months. Unless you're a very prolific writer/talker, those numbers are going to be
very different.

I don't know whether English is s_allard's primary language, but if it is, and he's half as loquacious offline as he is
here, but about all sorts of things other than just vocabulary, then I would guess that he's used many more than
2500 different words over the past year. And I'm quite sure that he knows how to use a lot more.

Conclusion: You may be able to get by in English with few words, but if you want to express yourself in a
manner similar to the way s_allard does here, but on a wider variety of topics, without running into vocabulary
gaps too often, you are going to need to know how to use several thousand different words.

Edited by robarb on 12 May 2015 at 7:42am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 132 of 229
12 May 2015 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Iversen wrote:

I do feel the effect of having been surrounded by Polish for some days now

Iversen wrote:

literaturę

There it is!

On a more serious note, you mention you start to feel comfortable reading at 20,000 words. Then you say you estimated your Serbian with a dictionary of 15,000 words. Obviously, you're talking about two very different things here. About how many words are in the dictionary that you use to arrive at 20,000 for comfortable reading? And which is more useful, an estimate of your coverage of a 15,000 word pocket dictionary, or an estimate of your total vocabulary from a 150,000 word unabridged dictionary?

The simple explanation is that I don't feel comfortable with Serbian yet - I still need a dictionary (and sometimes a grammar or a peek at my green sheets). I do feel reasonably at home in languages like Spanish, French and German, which I speak and where I can read most books without a dictionary. My Russian and my (Modern) Greek both hover right below the 10.000 word mark, and I don't claim to speak them, nor to feel comfortable reading them. But in a pinch I can do it.

The funny thing about percentages is that they vary surprisingly little with different dictionary sizes. I don't own a really big Serbian dictionary, and I haven't counted words in Croatian where I do own some reasonably comprehensive dictionaries. But from other languages I know that you have to use really enormous dictionaries of more than 100.000 headwords before the percentages go drastically down. The reason is that many of the supposedly rare and difficult words in a normal-sized dictionary are international loanwords or variations on something known, so even a count based on a modest dictionary with just 15.000 words will give a good assessment of the percentage you would get with a dictionary of something like 30.000 or 40.000 words. And inversely, you won't find that you know all the words in a micro dictionary (unless you have learnt it by heart of course, which I don't do). But I know that I know more words in Low German than there are in my lousy dictionary with just 5000 words - otherwise I couldn't read the stuff.

As for my active vocabulary I can't give trustworthy estimates because being able to use a word is much more vague and fluctuating than being aware of its meaning. But I did an English wordcount based on my multiconfused log - resulting in two corpora of around 36-37.000 words each. And as far as I remember I had only used some 7.000 words (the true numbers are hidden somewhere in this thread) - with an overlap of maybe half the words. But I could probably rattle off several hundred African bird names in English if I wanted to boost the numbers.

So to make to point once again: my active vocabulary in Serbian is not nearly as big as the numbers for my passive vocabulary suggest. The weaker a language is, the smaller the percentages of active words out of all known words. Right now I would guess my passive Serbian vocabulary is somewhere between 5.000 and 10.000 words based on the 'feel' of my reading experiences - which by the way haven't included much fine literature, but most of the articles in Wikipedia on paleontology and much of the stuff on zoology and history (and therefore I would find it easier to write an article about ammonites in Serbian than to have a discussion about kid rearing or electricity bills). But I doubt that I could muster 2000 active words.

Edited by Iversen on 12 May 2015 at 8:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 133 of 229
12 May 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Of course, the quoted estimate of 20,000 is of words the person knows how to use, not the number they
have used in the past 12 months. Unless you're a very prolific writer/talker, those numbers are going to be
very different.

I don't know whether English is s_allard's primary language, but if it is, and he's half as loquacious offline as he is
here, but about all sorts of things other than just vocabulary, then I would guess that he's used many more than
2500 different words over the past year. And I'm quite sure that he knows how to use a lot more.

Conclusion: You may be able to get by in English with few words, but if you want to express yourself in a
manner similar to the way s_allard does here, but on a wider variety of topics, without running into vocabulary
gaps too often, you are going to need to know how to use several thousand different words.

This a great post because it confirms, albeit unwittingly I think, exactly my point.
According to this poster I've used only 44 uncommon words plus 15 other "off-topic" words. I'll exclude the rare
words used as examples. That's only 59 words.

What is my active vocabulary for this thread? How many different words have I used here? This is the really
significant statistic.   Let's be really generous and say I used 300 different words in the thread here.

What has thrown the poster off here is that fact that 44 words could be considered rare. Therefore, and this is the
major fallacy, I can also use many other words that are less common. That may be true but the fact remains that
I only used around 300 different words in this thread.

Are my other posts here at HTLAL very different? It depends on the topic, of course, but I don't think that my
writing style is fundamentally different. But I also use English for other topics such as when meeting physicists in
bakery shops. So, if I throw in the other words I have used in the last 12 months, that's exactly how I arrive at
the figure of around 2500 different words. What the heck, I'll even bump that up to 3000. That's a very large
figure for actual usage.

If people really paid attention to their output, they would see that this figure is not outlandish at all.

Edited by s_allard on 12 May 2015 at 8:40am

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4871 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 134 of 229
12 May 2015 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Let's be really generous and say I used 300 different words in the thread here.

I ran the corpus of your writing in this thread through a unique-word counter, and it came up with 1767
unique words. I sampled 100 of them and found that 92 of them were genuine English words (eliminating things
like Wikipedia, HTLAL, or 2500). Therefore, I estimate that you used about 1626 unique word-forms on this
thread. That's not lemmatized, so you could reduce the numbers somewhat. How many different forms per
lemma do you suppose you've used on the thread, on average?

In this little text of mine above, I've used three words with lemmas that you haven't used on the thread: "unique",
"corpus," and "genuine." And in your last post, you've added an additional six: "generous", "fallacy", "unwitting",
"confirm", "heck", and "bump." That tells me we've hardly come close to exhausting the words that are relevant in
the context.

If we had a bigger corpus of your output, we might be able to find the point at which new unique words begin to
become infrequent. As it is, you are well above 300 and introducing several new ones with each additional post.

In fact, due to the limited range of subject matter, we haven't even begun to see the active vocabulary that you're
capable of, and, yes, use. Here are some words you haven't written on this thread:

tall, million, brother, bottom, water, phone, computer, walk, blue, yellow, green, fish, bird

Now those are some pretty common words, huh?

The point is, on top of the not 300 but 1000-odd words you've used on this thread, there are several hundred
words like "water" that are extremely common, but weren't relevant here. Not quantum physics, but water.

If people really recorded large enough samples of their output, they would see that each additional conversation
adds a few unique words, and the additions don't dry up until you get to a really high number, and even then,
there is a little kick every time a topic is introduced that hasn't been used before. And, though as
you say, you don't have to, I am sure that you could use some words that you normally don't if an unusual
conversation topic came up. You know the words and you know how to use them, even if your probability of
actually saying them in a given year is not that high. This number of words that you know how to use is what
most people call the "active vocabulary." One can start speaking when the number is small, well under a
thousand. But you, s_allard, have well over 3000 English words in that set (unless you really can't talk about
the things that you say you rarely or never talk about. But I doubt that).

Anyway, factual disagreement aside, 8000/year is overkill. If you're getting even 2000, you should be able to use
a s_allard's-English worth of words in a few short years. But not one year.

Edited by robarb on 12 May 2015 at 9:44am

6 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 135 of 229
12 May 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
the average active vocabulary of an adult English speaker is of around 20,000 words

s_allard wrote:
the Spanish expert I mentioned said that the active
vocabulary of a very cultivated native speaker was around 5000 different words

Obviously, they're defining what a word is differently. Maybe we can use algebra instead...

** The average active vocabulary of an adult English speaker is around 100X.

** The active vocabulary of a very cultivated native speaker is around 142X.
(Ratio inspired by this article about SAT scores).

** The active vocabulary of a typical university student is around 43X.
(1500 divided by 5000, per post 89).

** s_allard thinks his active English vocabulary is 71X.
(2500 per him, divided by 5000 from him, times 142X)

** s_allard wants his active Spanish vocabulary to be 71X.
(to be the same as the figure above, per him)

** s_allard thinks he used 9X words in his 45 Spanish emails.
(300 per him, divided by 5000 from him, times 142X)

** s_allard thinks he used 9X words in this thread.
(300 per him, divided by 5000 from him, times 142X)

It seems easier to see whether figures seem reasonable.

Edited by smallwhite on 12 May 2015 at 11:18am

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 136 of 229
12 May 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Let's be really generous and say I used 300 different words in the thread here.

I ran the corpus of your writing in this thread through a unique-word counter, and it came up with 1767
unique words... How many different forms per
lemma do you suppose you've used on the thread, on average?

In post 105, s_allard took the first page of Harry Potter I, and estimated that the computer wordcount of 366 words could be reduced to 240 word families. If we use the same ratio, then 1767 lemmas become 1159 word families.

So, what s_allard estimates to be 300 words turns out to be 1159 word families. The ratio is 1:3.9.

Edited by smallwhite on 12 May 2015 at 10:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version