Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 169 of 229
13 May 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
s_allard wrote:

My position
has always been the same in all the threads here
: a very effective strategy I propose is to work on a small set
of
words with strong emphasis on grammar and actual speaking (where possible) and then expand the vocabulary
as necessary.

It's like some perverse local variation of Godwin's law
"that as a discussion on HTLAL grows longer, the probability of s_allard raising the importance of learning a small
kernel of vocabulary approaches 1". I would like to call this Allard's law.

I know this post was meant as an insult but I'll take it as a compliment. The great Oscar Wilde once wrote:

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Rest assured. I won't talk about my concept of the language kernel. That's old hat and, I believe, well
substantiated. I want to talk about the other end of the vocabulary spectrum: acquiring specialized words.

Probably the classic argument in favour of acquiring a large vocabulary is the idea that the learner cannot know
in advance what subjects or topics they will be exposed to. For example, you might be able to speak fluently with
just 300 different words but suppose your interlocutor uses a word that you don't know. Therefore, it is
important to learn vast numbers of words just in case you need them.

Most of the time this idea is discussed in the context of reading literary texts. Someone will claim that they want
to read great literature from the 19th century to the present day. Well that obviously requires a huge vocabulary.

What has been much less discussed is the importance of technical and scientific vocabulary. I personally think
that this is more challenging than literary vocabulary because precision and clarity are paramount. It's difficult to
fudge.

How do you prepare for all the possible topics that you could ever meet? The reality is that you can't. Take for
example the world of sports. Do you attempt to systematically learn the vocabulary of American football,
European football, rugby, tennis, cricket, golf, basketball, handball, etc.? What about science and technology?
Obviously, the whole thing is limitless.

The fundamental idea here is that you can't talk about a subject unless you know its terminology. This is a false
argument, as we only know too well from our native languages. We all have observed that every branch or
domain of knowledge has a specialized terminology used by its practitioners. Plumbers, lawyers, engineers,
physicists, musicians, tennis players, for example, all use a certain vocabulary when talking among
themselves. Most people here have a job or an area of study with the associated terminology.

We don't expect people outside the field to talk like experts in the field. We accept the fact that when talking to
outsiders we have to adapt our language in order to make ourselves understood. By the same token, the learner
or the outsider has to make a mental an intellectual effort to learn new words and concepts in order to acquire
new knowledge. There has to be a form of linguistic accommodation.

The key idea is learning how to learn specialized vocabulary. Now the really interesting observation here is that
much specialized terminology is simply ordinary words used in specialized ways. In other words, if you have a
solid mastery of the kernel of the language, you probably have all the resources to approach a technical subject
from a layman's perspective.

Here's the thing. Since you probably have many of the required words, you must explore how they are used,
preferably by asking for guidance. For example, you have never played tennis in your life and you end up sitting
next to a professional tennis player in a train, what do you do? You can totally avoid talking about tennis. But I
think you can ask intelligent questions and learn about tennis without boring the other person to death. I'm
assuming here of course that the person wants to talk to you.

Similarly, if you meet a neuroscientist specializing in cognitive aspects of aging, you can have an intelligent
conversation on something like Alzheimer's disease even though you may know nothing about neuroscience to
begin with. You learn as you go along.

This is exactly what we do in our native language.The reason we can do this spontaneously is that we have a solid
grasp of how our language works and we know how to expand our knowledge on the spot. For example, with
formal education we have learned how to use the system of prefixes and suffixes that make up the derivational
system of a language. We may even know enough latin to be able to deal with some medical terminology.

This is not to say that one should not be interested in many things. Reading widely is certainly a good thing but
you can't be expected to know everything about everything.

Edited by s_allard on 13 May 2015 at 3:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 170 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
If people fear that a thread about vocabulary will make beginners think that vocabulary is all there is to language learning, then they'll also have to fear that a thread about grammar will make beginners think that grammar is all there is, that a thread about reading will...., that a thread about L-R will...

Not necessarily. Vocabulary *can* be counted, and whatever method you use, you'll be learning vocabulary. To play s_allard's advocate, it's far more common to focus so much on the vocab that you ignore the grammar than vice versa. And Anki/SRS can show you your progress, so that's a killer combination for efficiency but also for burnout.

Of course I agree that we should be able to discuss this or that aspect of learning without pointing out that you should do other things too, and I'm tired of what happens in every vocabulary thread. But there is indeed a legitimate issue here, the concern about intimidating new learners by numbers like 8000 words in a year or even less. As far as I can tell, what people question is your claim that this is doable for anyone. Which comes across like the "light reading" scene:

(Also, if you really follow the full LR method according to siomotteikiru's principles, you don't really need anything else to get conversational)

Edited by Serpent on 13 May 2015 at 4:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 171 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't saying word families but words. If you don't count related words (such as an
adjective and a substantive and a verb from the same root) as separate words but as
families, it is different of course. And as I was asking, you could get totally
different and much lower numbers if you take into account that very similar words with
the same meaning that happen to be in Spanish and French are in fact one family, not
two.

And I think I mentioned in the post I was speaking about mainstream languages only, I
hope that didn't get lost in the process of shortening my post. I am not experienced
when it comes to totally different languages, so I cannot (and do not dare to) speak
about them. If the part got lost, sorry about that, it was my oversight.

As I open my favourite dictionary (Le robert micro with 30 000 words), it still keeps
words from the same family as separate entries. That is how my understanding of what
are individual words (that are counted for the purposes such as this thread's
estimates) was formed. That is the base of my guess of a few thousand words, I never
said a few thousand families. And I think the importance of learning individual words
in the families might be a bit underestimated. Learning the proper adjective formed
from a verb, that is a new piece of knowledge as well as there are usually a few
incorrect options you could think of as well.

And one more mistake I made with my estimate: The numbers are bound to be different in
various stages of learning. Beginners learn tons of new words while someone in the
advanced plateau working slowly towards the C levels just learns fewer. That is a
serious mistake, sorry about that.

I agree with smallwhite that some "arguments" are simply weird in the thread, such as
accusing people of making vocabulary the only thing a learner should study. But the
numbers, no matter how imprecise, are a good artificial structure in the mess, a way
to orient a learner in a way "how far on my path I might be right now". The more that
the theory of 300 words being the base and everything more just an unnecessary bonus,
that is nonsense. You just need several thousand words and it is a long path.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 172 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
You certainly mentioned that, but the conclusion sounded like it's meant to apply to all languages. And I agree about learning each individual word in the family. Unlike Jeffers I also counted words, not families.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 173 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I see that many people are legitimately concerned that newbies here at HTLAL may be discouraged by the
magnitude of the task ahead of them and especially by all this talk about the thousands of words they have to learn.
I totally agree. Even I get discouraged when I read that people are learning 8000 words a year.

Well, I have the solution. It's called Allard's 300-word formula for instant language learning success. Let me tell you
how it works.

OK, people, don't get excited. It's only a joke.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 174 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
What we don't get on HTLAL are people saying, "I want to learn to B2 and I don't want to work hard."

*Raises hand* ahhh... hello! I want to be not just B2 but C2 and not work hard, any advice would be welcomed with appreciation. Oh! And how to play a guitar without practice, I want to know that too.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 175 of 229
13 May 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

*Raises hand* ahhh... hello! I want to be not just B2 but C2 and not work hard, any advice would be welcomed with appreciation. Oh! And how to play a guitar without practice, I want to know that too.

Well it depends how you define work I guess. I don't find reading books, chatting with people, watching movies really work at all, let alone hard. Once you get past a certain point (B1? B2?) language learning is simply living in the language, not much more I think.

The idea that learning vocabulary and grammar are really separate activities is interesting. That's true if you mostly just do grammar drills and mostly just learn individual words with flash cards or word lists. If on the other hand you mostly learn a language via immersion (i.e., via talking, reading, listening) there is no distinction between grammar and vocabulary learning: Every sentence is both a grammar and a word lesson.

The main advantage of counting words is that they are easy to count. I am sure my grammar learning is following my vocabulary learning relatively closely.

Edited by patrickwilken on 13 May 2015 at 4:59pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 176 of 229
13 May 2015 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But there is indeed a legitimate issue here, the concern about intimidating new learners by numbers like 8000 words in a year or even less. As far as I can tell, what people question is your claim that this is doable for anyone.

I wouldn't protect newbies like that, but I don't mind HTLAL doing that. So what do you prefer I do in the future? Say,
* share my SRS tips but not mentioned that I once did 8000 cards in 4 months, or
* not share my SRS tips, or
* mention 8000 but mention also that it is not doable for anyone, or
* participate less in threads on vocabulary, and more in threads on grammar, or...
... I don't know. What do you think?

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version