Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 28 29 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 185 of 229
14 May 2015 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:
But there is indeed a legitimate
issue here, the concern about intimidating new learners by numbers like 8000 words in
a year or even less. As far as I can tell, what people question is your claim that
this is doable for anyone.

I wouldn't protect newbies like that, but I don't mind HTLAL doing that. So what do
you prefer I do in the future? Say,
* share my SRS tips but not mentioned that I once did 8000 cards in 4 months, or
* not share my SRS tips, or
* mention 8000 but mention also that it is not doable for anyone, or
* participate less in threads on vocabulary, and more in threads on grammar, or...
... I don't know. What do you think?

Count yourself as an anomaly or perhaps a strange and wonderful creature like the
unicorn, which is hard to find, and even more difficult to emulate. Or just use the
standard "Your mileage may vary." disclaimer.

:)

BTW, I'm disappointed nobody has told me how to play the guitar without actually
practising (or owning a guitar for that matter).

step 1: buy a guitar
step 2: hit strings
step 3: ????
step 4: PROFIT!
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 186 of 229
14 May 2015 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for the responses. I feel all warm inside now~~* I'll be more careful when I write.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 187 of 229
14 May 2015 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
BTW, I'm disappointed nobody has told me how to play the guitar without actually practising (or owning a guitar for that matter).

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you do have to practise. However, you can practise in a more efficient way by following an SRS regime, where you don't practise every day, but instead, wait increasing long intervals between practice sessions. If you practise just 2 repetitions of each scale, picking the strings as fast as you can, that should take you no more than 22 minutes per day.

Note though, that I am a very mature bass guitarist, currently at a 6-year interval. My last jam session was 3 years ago, and the next one won't be due in another 3 years. And the bass is my 5th instrument. YMMV.

Edited by smallwhite on 14 May 2015 at 8:13am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 188 of 229
14 May 2015 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
And now the miraculous advice about growing 10 more cm of height, please :-)
Btw, I've just now trully realized you are smallwhite, not snowwhite, sorry

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 189 of 229
14 May 2015 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
And now the miraculous advice about growing 10 more cm of height, please :-)

Move to Hobbiton. As a bonus you could probably pick up a few new languages there.

And in terms of words and word families, I doubt in practice we do much different. I might make a separate card for do and doable, but probably not as the meaning is obvious. Would you have a card for do and a card for doing? On the other hand there are other examples of words that are technically in the same word family that I would make separate cards for. Just last week I was reviewing new Hindi vocabulary from two sources. My Tintin deck has सहयोग (sahyog, cooperation) while my general reading deck has असहयोग (asahyog, non-cooperation). Technically, since an initial "a" is a negation in Hindi I really don't need both cards. But since "non-cooperation" appears in very specific contexts (Gandhi's non-cooperation movement) I'm keeping both cards.

All of that dredges up s_allard's original objection, "what is a word?" That's one reason I used quite wide numbers for the categories. The other reason is that the poll software only allows 5 choices, which is actually pretty pathetic. I would have liked options for "I don't count" or "I don't study vocab separately", but it just wasn't possible.

Edited by Jeffers on 14 May 2015 at 11:18am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 190 of 229
14 May 2015 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Thank you so much for the responses. I feel all warm inside now~~* I'll be more careful when I write.

I hope me disagreeing with you on some things doesn't put you off posting. Your posts are helpful and interesting, and if I disagree on some points it's just because you've managed to get me thinking. I still think you must be really good at memorizing things. You might not have the greatest memory (as you mentioned elsewhere), but still be good at memorizing. I'm the other way around, I can remember events that occurred in 1971 but I think it takes me longer than most to memorize facts.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 229
14 May 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
And in terms of words and word families, I doubt in practice we do much different. I might make a separate card for do and doable, but probably not as the meaning is obvious.

But you said it's for words learnt by any means, not just how many cards you make. (Even if you do make some cards) For example, look at English words irresponsible, unimportant and hopeless. Of course some of these words are pretty easy, but so are many Spanish words if you know Portuguese.

Also, one may well make cards for various forms of the irregular verbs, but that doesn't mean that they should be counted as separate words.

The ranges are large, but with estimating vs counting and words vs families they become quite narrow, especially the ones that include around 1500-2000 words total.

If you think a poll with more options would be more useful you can start one on easypolls.net.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 192 of 229
14 May 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I hope me disagreeing with you on some things doesn't put you off posting.

Not at all. It's the discouraging newbie part. I don't want to write things that are discouraging. But I may not know exactly (yet) what's so discouraging about what I wrote, so I'll just take extra care for the moment.

You see, I write similar things on another (Chinese) forum, and I've always received positive responses: fellow learners thanking me for the encouragement, forum moderators highlighting my posts and rewarding me with forum points, etc. That the same things are seen as discouraging here takes a little getting used to.

Jeffers wrote:
I still think you must be really good at memorizing things.

I don't think I have good memory, but I do think I have good techniques, discipline and auxiliary skills that aid memorisation. I wrote on my Facebook a few months before I learned about SRS, that it took me the whole evening to memorise 12 Thai words. And in an email written about that time, that I had spent several evenings trying to memorise 10 Japanese words, with no success yet. All that after English, Mandarin, French, but before SRS.

Edited by smallwhite on 14 May 2015 at 3:31pm

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version