Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 28 29 Next >>
Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4710 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 229
29 April 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to get a general idea of how many words (lexical items, dictionary entries) learners tend to learn per year, across however many languages they are learning, by whatever means you learn them (immersion, flashcards, wordlists, reading, listening, whatever). So if you put down 3001-5000 and you're only studying French, then you'd know 15000-25000 words (assuming you have studied it for 5 years). If you put 8001+ then you know at least 40000 words.

I do not mean how many words you think you could learn if you really put your mind to it, I mean how many do you think you have actually learned on average over the past five years. So if one time you crammed and learned 3000 words in 3 months, this doesn't mean you learn 12000 words per year.

I realize that there will likely be a lot of discussion about what a "word" means. Oh well, discuss that if you want. And of course there will be discussion over what "learned" means as well. Each respondant will have to make up their own mind about these things. I also realize that for most of us there will be an element of estimation (e.g. have I learned 2500 words in French or 3500?) You'll just have to make your best guess.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4150 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 229
29 April 2015 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
In 2013 I've learnt between 5-9k words in Japanese (receptively). In 2014 I've learnt 10-
13k words in Mandarin (receptively). This year, I've learnt so far ~2k characters in
Mandarin (productively, by which I mean writing by hand), 600 words in Na'vi
(productively), and a few dozen signs in JSL (productively). So I chose "5001-8000."
Having started studying languages "seriously" only in December 2012, I guess it's not
five years quite yet, but I wouldn't exactly call it short-term either. If you think it's
too early to say, just discard my vote.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 229
29 April 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I know I have learnt at least 1 word per year. This seems to be one of those; "How long is a piece of string?" questions.

I don't track them, but I can tell you now however many I'm learning, the French, Italians, and Chinese seem to be coming up with new ones quicker than I can learn. Or perhaps since they've had hundreds of years they are storing them up!

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4322 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 229
29 April 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Over 5 years? No idea. This included a period of immersion and a period of doing almost nothing.

May Anki stats say: 10276 mature cards, oldest deck: 925 days
Young cards are 6090, but I think they contain a lot of cards I put on hold after the first repetition, so let's not count them.
Also, I don't believe the deck age, I think I messed up something when I copied one deck someday. The oldest deck should have been started November 2011, so roughly 3.5 years ago. Doing the math: 10276 divided by 3.5 years times 365 days = 2936 cards per year. This contains some duplicates, I guess I should filter out about 2000 cards from the 10276. But on the other hand, I did quite a bit of extensive reading/listening, and who knows how much I learnt there. Swedish alone could probably counted for several thousand words the last year, which is nowhere to be seen in the statistics. The same for Danish the year before.
I voted for 3000-5000 words, seems realistic.

6 languages by the way, Norwegian not among them (I have absolutely no idea how much I could've learnt for this language).

Edited by daegga on 29 April 2015 at 10:10pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5109 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 5 of 229
29 April 2015 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
How do I count cognates? It takes me one actual encounter to learn that
internet is called "internet" in Spanish. Is that one Spanish word learned or
zero?

If I didn't learn any language in 2013 and 2014, do I still count from 2010 to
2015, or from 2008?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 229
29 April 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Internet is not a cognate because it doesn't come from Proto-IE ;) And it's an exception, as it's been borrowed from English into a vast majority of languages and in general you can be reasonably sure that it's the same. (although I'd not count it as learned if I can't say "on the Internet" and/or don't know the foreign pronunciation of it)

But yeah, imo the bigger controversy is not what one word is, but what to do with similar words and when the word is considered as learned. (I'm not generally as strict as in the example with the Internet - and by the criteria above I don't really know this word in Spanish/Italian/Portuguese, as I looked up the expression and my guess was wrong all three times. in Spanish I also got the pronunciation wrong)

I voted for 5-8k, where the active vocab is closer to the lower limit. I'd not be able to learn 5k in one language per year. I might have done about 3k Finnish words in a year though, around 2007 or 2008. I did Iversen-style word lists during boring classes (in addition to other learning). Eventually I lost the motivation to attend those classes and got bored with word lists and formal learning in general.

Edited by Serpent on 29 April 2015 at 11:02pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5109 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 7 of 229
29 April 2015 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Internet is not a cognate because it doesn't come from Proto-IE ;)

I got woken up 5am and that was the best example I could come up with...
How about "America" :D

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 229
30 April 2015 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
The point is that much of the time you can't know for sure that the word is the same until you've come across it at least once, maybe even many times.

America is Amerikka in Finnish ;)

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version