Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 28 29 Next >>
Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 177 of 229
13 May 2015 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Unlike Jeffers I also counted words, not families.

"Word family" = do, doing, done, doable, undone, etc. Not related words, but words with a specific set of prefixes and suffixes. For languages with case and/or verb endings, "word family" includes the different endings. I was using Paul Nation's terminology because of some other posts asking the meaning of the word "word", but I probably should have written "dictionary headwords" in my posts.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 178 of 229
13 May 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:
But there is indeed a legitimate issue here, the concern about intimidating new learners by numbers like 8000 words in a year or even less. As far as I can tell, what people question is your claim that this is doable for anyone.

I wouldn't protect newbies like that, but I don't mind HTLAL doing that. So what do you prefer I do in the future? Say,
* share my SRS tips but not mentioned that I once did 8000 cards in 4 months, or
* not share my SRS tips, or
* mention 8000 but mention also that it is not doable for anyone, or
* participate less in threads on vocabulary, and more in threads on grammar, or...
... I don't know. What do you think?

Count yourself as an anomaly or perhaps a strange and wonderful creature like the unicorn, which is hard to find, and even more difficult to emulate. Or just use the standard "Your mileage may vary." disclaimer.

:)

BTW, I'm disappointed nobody has told me how to play the guitar without actually practising (or owning a guitar for that matter).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 179 of 229
13 May 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
When you are at it, I'd like to lose 5 kg without exercising and while eating burgers
and ice cream every day. And it would be great to grow at least 10 cm higher, I am
tired of not reaching the top shelves anywhere.

Well, I agree with patrick that learning vocabulary or grammar isn't mostly a separate
activity from the rest of language learning. However, by some explicit grammar and
vocabulary learning, you can save lots of time and enjoy the rest earlier, in my
opinion. It can be a good part of the learning method mix.

Smallwhite, I recommend providing every newbie with a box of chocolates, some paper
handkerchiefs and a shoulder to cry on over their unhappy fate and foolish decision to
learn a foreign language. ;-)

I think the vocabulary threads are still not that overwhelming, we've got tons of
threads on tv series, books, comics etc to balance it out.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 180 of 229
13 May 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Unlike Jeffers I also counted words, not families.

"Word family" = do, doing, done, doable, undone, etc. Not related words, but words
with a specific set of prefixes and suffixes. For languages with case and/or verb
endings, "word family" includes the different endings. I was using Paul Nation's
terminology because of some other posts asking the meaning of the word "word", but I
probably should have written "dictionary headwords" in my posts.

Yes, but learning "to do" and "doable" are still two pieces of knowledge as you could
guess totally different adjective form had you learnt only "to do" and counting on
knowing the word family.

That is why I prefer "counting" words to word families. And my favourite dictionaries
still have words from one family as different headwords. But there might be different
approaches in other dictionaries, I don't know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 181 of 229
13 May 2015 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
@smallwhite
I wasn't the one concerned, I'm just happy that your post has brought back the excitement that I've not seen here for a long time. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it at all.

What did bother me was the later generalization that what you did with Spanish words can be done with any set of single-word cards. You have every right to believe that what you did is doable for others, but then you gotta address the concerns that arise or just hear and acknowledge them :)

But I really, really don't want to discourage you from posting more - about vocab, grammar, anything!

Edited by Serpent on 13 May 2015 at 9:22pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 182 of 229
13 May 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Ditto what Serpent said, smallwhite, just add a little disclaimer along the lines that rdearman suggested, that you are "an experienced learner and ymmv". That being said, we don't get anywhere near the number of raw beginners anymore as we used to a few years ago, sadly.

I enjoy and appreciate your contributions and enthusiasm and the last thing I would want to do would be to discourage you from posting.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 May 2015 at 9:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 183 of 229
13 May 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to join in: Smallwhite, I love reading your posts! Please keep them coming in
any thread you see fit. :-)

Actually, since when are we meant to protect newbies from the truth?
When I was a newbie, I really appreciated this forum for the tons of real information.
Realistic picture of the obstacles and tips on overcoming them. Had I wanted sweet lies,
I would have bought Rosetta Stone.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 184 of 229
13 May 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Well, I have the solution. It's called Allard's 300-word formula for instant language learning success. Let me tell you how it works.

OK, people, don't get excited. It's only a joke.

each joke has a fraction of joke, as we say here

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version