Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 229
30 April 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Rdearman is making a good point however.   Almost every single study of vocabulary size
begins with a discussion of what a word is. And they almost invariably settle on the obvious meaning: a lexical
item (e.g. what you would expect to be a dictionary headword). Some researchers use the term "word family",
including a word and a bunch of different suffixes and prefixes such as -ish, -ness, un-, in-, etc.

When people ask questions on HTLAL about "how many words", it is almost inevitable that someone says, "that
depends on what you mean by a word". But somehow, just like the researchers, almost everybody means more
or less the same thing when they ask about it. It's like we want it to be more controversial than it really is.

EDIT: here's a classic article co-written by Paul Nation, which is worth having a look at.
http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/PastIssues/rfl82
hirsh.pdf
   What's interesting is that they don't really have much discussion about what vocabulary items
are (except for discussion of what a "word family" is). Like rdearman, they just assume that the meaning is pretty
clear.

Let's clarify a few points here. There is a pretty simple way of defining what a word is. It's any sequence of letters
with spaces on either side. This is actually the definition that most researchers such as Paul Notion use. Actually
the raw words are called tokens. These tokens are simplified or lemmatized into some basic unit called word
families. So "get" is one word and that's it. We count get, gets, got, gotten as part of the word family get and we
can get on with counting the number of occurrences in our texts. And sure enough we can calculate all kinds of
great statistics. In that sense, the meaning is very clear: a word is a lemmatized graphic unit, basically a
dictionary entry. Meaning or usage is irrelevant.

Some people disagree and point out that, first of all, get has many uses. We have things like get to bed, get the
message, get to it, get off, get up, get going, etc and many of these uses have nothing to do with each other. If
someone is a go-getter, what is the connection with an evening get-together? You can tell a child to get down
from the chair but that's not the same as "let's get down and boogie" if you grew up in the 70's. And what about
idiomatic expressions like "get with it or get out of the way"? Is get really one word or a whole series of lexical
units subsumed under one graphic unit? And what about the synthetic languages like German and Russian?

Is meaning or usage important or not? If it's not important, then we can count to our heart's content. But as
soon as meaning and usage enter into the equation, things become more complicated. This is precisely the
problem I see when someone says to me: I know the French verb faire, it means "to do, make" and I can
conjugate it in all the tenses and moods. That's great, now let's see how well you can use it.

If meaning is irrelevant, a text is reduced to a number of words. We can say that Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone contains 7125 words (I'm guessing here). Is reading a list of those words the same as reading
the book? Obviously not.

This is not to say that counting words is useless. I have always stated that for teaching and benchmarking, we
can work with word counts. The usual method of counting words a la Paul Nation a crude but useful tool even
though it must not be seen as the holy grail of science. Actually, I sometimes believe that this word-counting
mania is peculiar to English because this language lends itself to counting words. I don't know about other
languages, but in French, it is of no scientific concern in the world of linguistics. I've just attended a convention
on teaching of French as a second-language and there was not one hint of any interest in word-counting. As
rdearman has succinctly put it (albeit with a different focus) this is an irrelevant linguistic tangent.

Edited by s_allard on 30 April 2015 at 9:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 26 of 229
01 May 2015 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I certainly recognize that one of the reasons some people focus on vocabulary size is that it seems easily measurable. That's the problem. It seems easily measurable when in fact it isn't.

But many things in life are like that, or even worse, completely qualitative. Parameters for mental illnesses. Teachers' evaluation of a students courtesy or potential. Or even in expressions like "half of the time", "most of the time". You don't give up quantifying things altogether just because you can't be exact and perfect. (And you don't criticise word-counting every single time you see someone count words).

And measuring vocabulary size isn't even that hard within the purposes we're measuring it for. One example, if I'm measuring it to see improvement, then all I need is to count words in a consistent manner over time. Second example, to compare you and me, we just have to take the same test.

How do YOU tell that your vocabulary is growing or not, then? By gut feeling or the fact that you're reading better? If that has worked for you then that's a good way of measuring, too.

s_allard wrote:
Most of the studies of vocabulary size focus on passive vocabulary because...

I believe that active vocabulary is the heart of the matter...

Some people argue that since there's a distinction between passive vocabulary and active vocabulary, it's useless to measure vocabulary. Well, just use 2 separate figures, then? With bra sizes you have 2 parameters, too, 80cm around the chest and C cup over the breasts. Sports bra only use the cm size, or even just Small, Medium and Large, and indeed, as with measuring vocablary size with just 1 number, not very useful.

(I meant to use trouser sizes but I don't know what unit they use for the length...)

Edited by smallwhite on 01 May 2015 at 12:31am

4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 229
01 May 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I certainly recognize that one of the reasons some people focus on
vocabulary size is that it seems easily measurable. That's the problem. It seems easily measurable when in fact it
isn't.

But many things in life are like that, or even worse, completely qualitative. Parameters for mental illnesses.
Teachers' evaluation of a students courtesy or potential. Or even in expressions like "half of the time", "most of
the time". You don't give up quantifying things altogether just because you can't be exact and perfect. (And you
don't criticise word-counting every single time you see someone count words).

And measuring vocabulary size isn't even that hard within the purposes we're measuring it for. One example, if
I'm measuring it to see improvement, then all I need is to count words in a consistent manner over time. Second
example, to compare you and me, we just have to take the same test.

How do YOU tell that your vocabulary is growing or not, then? By gut feeling or the fact that you're reading
better? If that has worked for you then that's a good way of measuring, too.

s_allard wrote:
Most of the studies of vocabulary size focus on passive vocabulary because...

I believe that active vocabulary is the heart of the matter...

Some people argue that since there's a distinction between passive vocabulary and active vocabulary, it's useless
to measure vocabulary. Well, just use 2 separate figures, then? With bra sizes you have 2 parameters, too, 80cm
around the chest and C cup over the breasts. Sports bra only use the cm size, or even just Small, Medium and
Large, and indeed, as with measuring vocablary size with just 1 number, not very useful.

(I meant to use trouser sizes but I don't know what unit they use for the length...)

If one reads carefully what I wrote or write, one will see that I do not say that it is impossible to measure
vocabulary size. We know exactly how Paul Nation and his colleagues measure vocabulary. It's relatively
straightforward to count the number of words on a page. Microsoft Word does it automatically. Of course, it's not
the same as word-families but the counting is not the issue. It's quite scientific. The real issue is the relevance of
this for speaking or writing a language.

I actually think there is a place for counting words. If I may be so presumptuous as to quote myself, here is what I
wrote:

s_allard wrote:
This is not to say that counting words is useless. I have always stated that for teaching and benchmarking, we
can work with word counts. The usual method of counting words a la Paul Nation a crude but useful tool even
though it must not be seen as the holy grail of science. ...

For measuring individual progress, for teaching vocabulary systematically, one can count words. We all agree.

My fundamental disagreement with much of this approach to vocabulary is not with the counting per se; it's with
the idea of "knowing" a word. I believe that fundamentally to know a word is a combination of a) having seen or
experienced its full range of uses and b) having actually used the word in some range of meanings or uses. In
fact, this is what everybody recognizes intuitively when they speak of context.

For example to say that one knows the French word blanc "white" but has never really used the word nor
experienced how the word is used by native speakers is in my mind nothing more than knowing how to
recognize the sequence of letters. That's the problem I have with these statements about knowing numbers of
words in a language. I have no clue of the number of words I know actively or productively in my native French,
and I don't see the point of even beginning to guess. I know the words I need to know.

Interestingly, I have some clue as to my English productive vocabulary, that I define as the number of word-
families that I have used in the last 12 months. In the context of a debate here at HTLAL I have been looking at
these figures and I figure that I use around 2000 words actively. That's not a lot but I think it's quite typical. Of
course, I see many more words than that but I never use the vast majority of them. I believe that most speakers
of English will never use 8000 word families in their entire lifetime and many people get along fine with less than
1000 words simply because they have no need for more.

I highly recommend that users make a little effort to count the words they actually use in something like posts
here at HTLAL. Try counting the different words in a couple of posts and one will quickly get an idea of some of
the complications in counting words and also realize how few different words we use. What we see time and time
again is that it's not the number of different words that is important, it's the ability to use the words well.
Vocabulary expands to meet the need. If one need so-called rare and obscure words to deal with a certain topic,
then one will acquire those words.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, the CEFR model does not mention vocabulary size once. A few researchers have
tried to estimate how many words are needed to pass various exams but the fact remains that the CEFR criteria
do not mention this at all. Is this because vocabulary is not important? Of course not, it's simply that the CEFR
model is based on the concept of what you CAN DO and not what you KNOW. This may seem like splitting hairs
but it's fundamental and even quite revolutionary because prior to this, and even in some quarters today, there is
still this belief and knowing a bunch of things, like conjugation tables, in a foreign language means that one can
speak or write the language. And we know that this is not the case.

For me a vocabulary size number is essentially irrelevant unless there is some indication of the ability to actually
use these words. Talking about the difficulty of measuring things, it would be quite interesting to figure out a
way of measuring mastery of grammar. That's another debate but it touches on the heart of the matter: What
exactly can you do with all those words you know? Even here at HTLAL where French and Spanish are among the
most popular languages, there are hardly any posts in those languages in the respective sections. Put all those
words to use! What's the point of knowing all these words if they are not in use?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4509 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 229
01 May 2015 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Aaaand S_allard comically misses the point. The
point was, S_allard, that they didn't
actually correct these words because I was using them properly in context, they're
simply
rare. Sometimes a rare word or term is the one you need to describe something
properly,
even though it isn't common knowledge. The interlocutor was one of my Russian
teachers. I
use complex vocabulary because I was writing a complex essay on the meaning of the
word
tolerance in Russian. And you simply have to use specialized vocabulary to do that.
Most
of the text will still consist of a lot of linking words and verbs, but you simply
have
to be able to express yourself in finer shades of nuance, and for that complex
vocabulary, alas, is essential. I'm at the level where I can't take the kernel much
further. The only way up is through knowing these essential new, complex, domain-
specific
words.

Aah, ı see. I mixed up obscure, rare and technical. And comically at that. Let's see
if I get my English right now.
If we are talking about technical subjects, we need technical words of course. But
these are not obscure. They are
technical or scientific. I guess we don't have the same understanding of what obscure
means. I read for example:

You should know the obscure words I come across in Russian every day that I
actually use in Russian.

I did not understand this as technical vocabulary. I understand this as words that are
rarely used and not widely
understood. For example, a pantograph is not a particularly obscure word in the world
of tramways or electric
trains, but the word impecunious is quite rare in general and bardolatry is obscure.
So, what are we talking about
here? Was the article on tolerance full of technical, rare or obscure words?

All three. One referred to a medical term. Some referred to less well-known synonyms
and definitions. And some words are just reasonably rare. I've used all of them
before. And usually correctly. The point is, obscure, technical and scientific can
coincide.

But if you want to argue pointless semantics instead of trying to understand what is
being said, be my guest. :D

By the way, according to s_allard, we should all use the Simple English Wikipedia
instead. It's got a Simple English word kernel! No need for all those fancy technical,
obscure, scientific, medical, slangy words! Only the essentials used to their very
best! Hell yeah!

S_allard will not go
to space today

Edited by tarvos on 01 May 2015 at 7:27am

4 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4246 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 29 of 229
01 May 2015 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
I can't really come to an approximate number. In the beginning, you are more likely to learn at least 5 new
words each day until you have a higher proficiency on a language. Otherwise, you would be stuck and not
advance further.

My Chinese proficiency tend to be lower although I can read most of what is written in a news article. I would
pick up more words & phrases in Chinese than English. When you get to a certain level of language
proficiency, you tend to run into words you already know. The words / phrase that you don't know tend to be
more to do with specific subjects than those you would use in your daily conversations.

If I'm reading news from Hong Kong I would come across 泛民主派 (fànmínzhǔpài) or the simplified version 泛
民 (fànmín) referring to a political group who is pushing for more democracy for Hong Kong. This is a term
specific to Hong Kong but not to Taiwan or Mainland China. The other day I was watching a documentary on
human evolution and came across the term 尼安德塔 (ní'āndétǎ) which is for Neanderthal man in Europe which
died out a few hundred thousand years ago. Along the way I picked up the term 遷徙 (qiānxǐ) for migration.
The term is frequently used for animal migration and in this case human migration in history. When you talk
about somebody relocating from 1 country to another, you would use a more common term 移民 (yímín)
instead of 遷徙 which is more appropriately used for large numbers of people out of 1 country or region into
another such as migrants from N. Africa into Europe.

The other day I was watching a recent video Li Shengwu's eulogy for his grandfather the late President of
Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew. The entire speech was said in clear & concise English except that he referred to his
grandfather as "Ye Ye" which is the Chinese term for grandfather. The other word was hongbao (紅包) which is
money in a red paper pocket as a gift often translated into English as "lucky money". You wouldn't count
these as new English words. Singaporeans would often insert English words into their speech when they
speak Mandarin and the same when they speak English.

In the beginning, even the numbers 1-10 are considered new words & phrases in a new language. After a few
months they become so common you don't think about them as such.

Edited by shk00design on 01 May 2015 at 8:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 30 of 229
01 May 2015 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
My fundamental disagreement with much of this approach to vocabulary is not with the counting per se; it's with the idea of "knowing" a word.

When do you say you know a person?
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 31 of 229
01 May 2015 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
s_allard, why all the focus on productive vocabulary?
I agree with many a thing you say about productive vocabulary, but in a thread talking
about vocabulary size or rather increase, how is this relevant? For receptive
vocabulary,
size is more important then quality. For productive vocabulary it might be the other
way
round.
I actually want to understand other people, not only give speeches. Size matters for
that.
As for counting and getting exact numbers - yes, that's irrelevant for practical
purposes. But if I also know which vocabulary items I already know (having them in a
text file for example), I can make good use of this information as a learning tool, eg.
for appropriate text pre-selection like "give me the 10 wikipedia articles best suited
for my current vocabulary knowledge". This is not exact science, but it's useful.

Edited by daegga on 01 May 2015 at 11:13am

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 32 of 229
01 May 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
What is the reason for counting one's vocabulary size? Presumably one wants to estimate one's likelihood of sucessfully reading and understanding a text (or listening to and understanding a spoken discourse, etc.).

Rather than trying to produce an exhaustive list of "all words that I feel I know in the language", why not turn the question around? Whenever you are taking in input in the language (e.g. by reading), count how often you have to stop and ask yourself "what's this word??". As an example, here is an example Lorem Ipsum text. Suppose that I encountered several unknown words while reading this text and have replaced those by a blank line ("________"):

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ______ adipiscing _____. Maecenas porttitor congue massa. Fusce posuere, magna sed pulvinar ultricies, purus lectus ______ libero, sit amet commodo magna eros quis urna. Nunc viverra ______ enim. Fusce est. Vivamus a tellus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Proin pharetra _______ pede. ______ et orci. Aenean nec lorem. In porttitor. ______ laoreet nonummy augue. _________ dui purus, scelerisque at, vulputate vitae, pretium mattis, nunc.

My vocabulary coverage this text is therefore 69 out of 77 words (89.6%). It's just one text, but if I repeat this test for more samples over a variety of texts, I should arrive at an average coverage figure that can act as a reasonable estimator for my overall vocabulary knowledge in that language.

A video blog by Prof. Arguelles suggested that a good coverage level for a given text is 98%. (Arguelles's talk: Extensive Reading and Vocabulary Range). Once you reach that level, you can probably comfortably understand the text, despite not knowing the occasional word here and there.

I would set as an ultimate goal to reach a 98%+ level across a wide variety texts/subject matters in my target language. In practical terms this level would mean that I should be able to walk into a library, grab a few random books from several subject matters, sit comfortably in a chair for an hour or so and read those books quite comfortably. There will always be some gaps in vocabulary knowledge, but at this level, my lack of certain vocabulary should not get in the way of my reading and understanding those texts. THIS is the goal. The precise total number of words rattling around in my head is not so important.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 01 May 2015 at 12:54pm

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version