Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 81 of 229
07 May 2015 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
So far, 10 out of 22 people have voted 1-1500, which is 5-7500 for the last 5 years. That
would translate to, roughly, no more than 96% comprehension of popular novels. I know that with 6500
flashcards plus heaps of cognates, my comprehension of popular novels in Spanish was still just 95.X%.

Less than 7500 over 5 years sounds extremely slow to me. Either these people are counting word families, or are
mis-counting, or are learning really exotic languages and/or spending only half an hour a day. And I believe
some people prefer to have strong basic skills than to have broad general skills; that's a good strategy, too.

Not surprisingly, part of the problem seems to be the issue of what is a word, that hoary question that always
seems to keep popping up. I like to work with the definition that Paul Nation and fellow researchers use, i.e. a
word family whereby all inflected forms are reduced to a sole member. For the purposes of the discussion here, I
am talking about the numbers of different word families.

This obviously has enormous implications for word-counting because the number of word-families in a text is
considerably less than the number of raw words --or tokens in Paul Nation's terminology -- in a text.

This concept of word family completely discards the relevance of meaning and multi-word units such as idioms
and phrasal verbs.

But we also know that many words, especially the most frequent ones, have multiple meanings or contextual
uses. To say that "get" is one word in English may be fine for word-counting but we all know that this verb is
probably used in dozens of ways.

The problem we are confronted with here is that it is difficult to understand what people mean when they give a
figure for words learned. I have used a rather crude metric: how many entries (flashcards, notes, whatever) in
some record-keeping system.

Since so few people seem to have methodically written down the "words" as they encountered them, we have to
resort to roundabout methods of estimating the number of words learned.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4450 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 82 of 229
07 May 2015 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Ok so I'll just throw out some guesstimates based on what I've seen about average
number of words known (passively) by different levels of readers.

English is my native language. None the less I feel like I might have learnt about two
new words a week. That would make about 500 words over the last 5 years.

In 2010 I had a fuzzy level of French where I could read novels extensively but hazily
or with a dictionary have to check maybe 5 words per 250 word page, that would put me
at a vocab of about 8,000 I think? I would now have a vocab similar to an average
French 18 year old, probably higher because of my wide reading in academic and high
literature. So that would put me at let's say 24, 000? So 16,000 over the last 5
years.

Latin, Spanish, German and Japanese I started since 2010, so I just need to guess how
many words I know.

Latin: Really uncertain here, Latin feels so different to modern European languages in
terms of word count. I'll guess 4,000 though, I still struggle with extensive reading.

Spanish: I can get by pretty well, maybe I check a word per page on a literary novel.
Which should match to 10,000 words maybe?

German: Still very much in development, let's go for 4,000.

Japanese: About 3,000 probably, including some words I only know if given furigana and
some I only know if given kanji (know as in the meaning, maybe not the reading)

So that adds up to 37,500 over the last 5 years, which gets me 7500 per year. So from
previous comments it seems I've overestimated massively somewhere... Oh well, was
worth a shot.

Edited by AlexTG on 07 May 2015 at 3:26pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4161 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 83 of 229
07 May 2015 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Ezy Ryder wrote:
s_allard wrote:
But it does tell me that nobody
actually keeps track methodically of the
new
words they learn. Nobody has actually written down the 8000 words learned in a year.

I still have the deck with ~14,138 words, including the 10-13k I mentioned earlier (which
in
fact I studied in less than a year). I can upload the list on Dropbox or something, if you
really want.

I was intrigued by this post and went to have a look at the original quoted here:

Ezy Ryder wrote:
In 2013 I've learnt between 5-9k words in Japanese (receptively). In
2014 I've learnt 10-
13k words in Mandarin (receptively). This year, I've learnt so far ~2k characters in
Mandarin (productively, by which I mean writing by hand), 600 words in Na'vi
(productively), and a few dozen signs in JSL (productively). So I chose "5001-8000."
Having started studying languages "seriously" only in December 2012, I guess it's not
five years quite yet, but I wouldn't exactly call it short-term either. If you think it's
too early to say, just discard my vote.

I'll have to admit, with apologies, that in my thinking about words I was looking only at
Western languages,
especially the ones that I'm most familiar with. I did not consider character-based
languages at all. I have no clue
if characters can be considered individual words. So, I will amend by discussion to say
that I am only referring to
Western languages.

That said, I did have look at the Wikipedia entry on Chinese characters and found the
following quote:

In Old Chinese, most words were monosyllabic and there was a close correspondence
between characters and
words[citation needed]. In modern Chinese, characters do not necessarily correspond to
words; indeed the
majority of Chinese words today consist of two or more characters.[5] Rather, a character
almost always
corresponds to a single syllable that is also a morpheme.[6] However, there are a few
exceptions to this general
correspondence, including bisyllabic morphemes (written with two characters), bimorphemic
syllables (written
with two characters) and cases where a single character represents a polysyllabic word or
phrase.

If I understand this correctly, characters are not exactly words. I won't go further on
this particular topic because
I am out of my depth here.
[...]

When I said words, I meant words (consisting of one or more characters). In fact, the words
I studied used only ~3k unique characters in Mandarin, and ~2.5k in Japanese (IIRC).

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 84 of 229
07 May 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Here's me breaking up Chinese into words. Just based on my feeling, probably affected by how English words are delineated.

在 語言學 中,單詞(word,又 稱 為 詞、詞語)是 能 獨立 運用 並 含有 語義 內容 或 語用 內容(即 具有 表 面 含義 或 實際 含義)的 最 小 單 位。單詞 的 集合 稱 為 詞彙、術語, 例如:所有 中文 單詞 統稱 為「中文 詞彙」,醫學 上 專用 的 詞 統稱 為 「醫學 術語」等。詞典 是 為 詞語 提供 音韻、詞義 解釋、例句、用法 等等 的 工具 書,有的 詞典 只 修錄 特殊 領域 的 詞彙。

人 腦 像 電腦 一樣 有 RAM 的,意思  是 指 其實 我們 人 的 腦袋 並  不 能 同時 處理 太 多 的 資訊。作  一 個 比喻,其實 人 在 每 一 秒  有 大概 二百萬 的 訊息 投 向 我 們 身 上,你 猜 在 這 二百萬 當中 ,人 能 處理 多少?只 是 可憐 的  一百三十八!

Edited by smallwhite on 07 May 2015 at 3:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

gio_gogo
United Kingdom
Joined 3423 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 85 of 229
07 May 2015 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I know about 4400 characters. What I have noticed is that the majority of characters can be used as words and as Wikipedia states a character almost always corresponds to a single syllable that is also a morpheme.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 86 of 229
07 May 2015 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Those of us with less than 6500 words in a language have strategies to cope. Some of us don't read. Some of us just ignore the unknown words and hope for the best. Another strategy is to read readers or children's books which would use a smaller vocabulary. These aren't all bad, and Le Petit Nicolas is an example of an enjoyable book accessible with a lower vocabulary. My preferred strategy is to use the popup dictionary on my kindle so that I can see the definition of unknown words while hardly breaking my flow.

Or we focus on narrower contexts. To watch football, work with spam or read about linguistics, you need a small but specific set of vocab. Also, language is often reduntant, and with experience your Sprachgefühl tells you what this or that word can plausibly mean.

I honestly get bored when I understand 98%. I love the element of mystery that my own lack of knowledge causes.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4333 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 87 of 229
07 May 2015 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I honestly get bored when I understand 98%. I love the element of mystery that my own lack of knowledge causes.

For me this has an extreme effect in Icelandic. I can read it fluently, but I make up my own story on the go. The general structure of the story is the same as the author intended, but the details differ vastly. In other languages a low amount of known vocabulary results in gibberish though. Intercomprehension is a weird thing.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4871 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 88 of 229
08 May 2015 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I don't think the fact that Mandarin and Cantonese are written in Chinese characters has much to do with the
difficulty in segmenting those languages into words. After all, they are also spoken languages. Words are a
feature of the language, not its written form per se.

It's true that Chinese languages are written without spaces. But several alphabetic languages are/were also
written without spaces (Thai, Ancient Greek, Classical Latin).

The trickier thing about Chinese languages is that they are so full of compound words. For example, one of the
words segmented by smallwhite, 多少 "how much," is formed by concatenating two morphemes (syllables,
characters) that are also independent words 多 "much" and 少 "little." This is extremely common, and it leads to
the situation where a sequence of characters can be segmented in several different ways that all satisfy the
condition that each piece is a possible standalone word.

Edited by robarb on 08 May 2015 at 5:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version