Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 105 of 229
10 May 2015 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I think that everybody here would agree that the number one way of acquiring vocabulary in a foreign language
is through reading. The major problem with learning exclusively through books is that we end up sounding like
books and often have difficulty with the informal spoken language which is best learned by interacting with
native speakers. But we have to make do with what we've got.

Some people here seem to believe that one should learn words in advance. But which ones? It obviously depends
on what one wants to read. Maybe you want to read the wonderful 19th century works of the great Jules Verne in
the original French. Or perhaps the 19th century novels of Charles Dickens. For the really courageous, how about
the 17th century masterpiece Don Quijote by Cervantes. This particular work is very well known but few people
have actually read it in Spanish because it is very difficult.

But instead of going back in time, you may be interested in something more modern. A good choice would be the
Harry Potter series. This is an outstanding example of fiction aimed at a young audience, around 12 to 18 years
old, more or less.

What words do you need to know in advance in order to enjoy a Harry Potter book? I certainly don't know. I figure
that if I have a solid foundation in English, I'll just pick up the words as I go along. That's what dictionaries are
for. By the time I get past the first 50 pages, I will probably have adapted to the author's writing style and seen
most of the words I need to learn. Then I can sail through all the Harry Potter books.

One of the reasons for so much argument about this word-counting business here is the fact that few people
have actually tried the exercise of counting words using a serious methodology like that of Paul Nation. I highly
recommend people try it just a bit to see how complicated and complex the matter really is. Just to give a small
taste of what's involved, I suggest we have a quick look at the first page of Harry Potter and the Philosophical
Stone, as follows:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say
that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last
people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious,
because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

Mr. Dursley was the director of a firm called Grunnings, which made
drills. He was a big, beefy man with hardly any neck, although he did
have a very large mustache. Mrs. Dursley was thin and blonde and had
nearly twice the usual amount of neck, which came in very useful as she
spent so much of her time craning over garden fences, spying on the
neighbors. The Dursleys had a small son called Dudley and in their
opinion there was no finer boy anywhere.

The Dursleys had everything they wanted, but they also had a secret, and
their greatest fear was that somebody would discover it. They didn't
think they could bear it if anyone found out about the Potters. Mrs.
Potter was Mrs. Dursley's sister, but they hadn't met for several years;
in fact, Mrs. Dursley pretended she didn't have a sister, because her
sister and her good-for-nothing husband were as unDursleyish as it was
possible to be. The Dursleys shuddered to think what the neighbors would
say if the Potters arrived in the street. The Dursleys knew that the
Potters had a small son, too, but they had never even seen him. This boy
was another good reason for keeping the Potters away; they didn't want
Dudley mixing with a child like that.

When Mr. and Mrs. Dursley woke up on the dull, gray Tuesday our story
starts, there was nothing about the cloudy sky outside to suggest that
strange and mysterious things would soon be happening all over the
country. Mr. Dursley hummed as he picked out his most boring tie for
work, and Mrs. Dursley gossiped away happily as she wrestled a screaming
Dudley into his high chair.

None of them noticed a large, tawny owl flutter past the window.
At half past eight, Mr. Dursley picked up his briefcase, pecked Mrs.
Dursley on the cheek, and tried to kiss Dudley good-bye but missed,

Microsoft words says there are 366 words on this page. Paul Nation calls them the tokens or running words,
defined as anything between two blank spaces.

The first question is what to do about the proper nouns ( Mr Dursley, Potter, etc.). We eliminate them because we
are interested in general English, but must remember that they are essential to the story. We now have 326
words.

One problem area is what to do about the contractions such as "didn't, hadn't, you'd". MS Office considers them
one word but maybe we should separate them into distinct words. We have five such contractions that are now
expanded into 10 words. So our running word count is now 331.

But there are still some problems. MS Word thinks that "good-for-nothing" is one word. It would seem to make
sense to break it up into three words although it could be argued that it's really one unit. Let's break it up into
three. Our running word count is now 333.

But we have a more serious problem. What to do about the phrasal verbs where a verb and a preposition make a
distinct unit? We have "came in, woke up, picked out, gossiped away, picked up". Let's split them. The word
count now goes to 338 words.

The next step is to count what Paul Nation calls the word forms. These are all the forms of a same word. Here is
the example of the most common verb in English:

was (9), were(3), be (2)

Here we have three word forms.

The next step is to lemmatize these word forms and reduce them to the generic form that Paul Nation calls word
families. The three word forms above become one word family : be.

Typically, all the verbs are reduced to their infinitive form, all plurals to their singular form, comparatives to their
base form. Here there is a major problem with the verb "have". This is both a distinct verb (e.g. The Dursley's had
a small son…) and an auxiliary (e.g. ..they hadn't met for several years). Let's say that it's one word.

It's the same problem with "do". In most the occurrences here "do" is only a negation marker (e.g. …didn't hold).
But there is one occurrence where "do" is an emphasis marker (e.g. …although he did have a very large
mustache).

There are a couple of areas where there are some idiomatic expressions that pose a problem. The very first
sentence ends with "…, thank you very much". We'll treat these as having four words but it's clear that, like the
phrasal verbs above, it's all one unit of meaning.

In the following sentence we have "… they just didn't hold with such nonsense" where "to hold with" means "to
believe in."

I haven't done all the math but I estimate that the page could be reduced to something like 240 word families.
Then we could put the words in decreasing numeric order. What we notice is that the grammar or function words
are at the top of the list. These are words like "the, a, be, have, that, they, he, their, his, her," etc., and then the
many words that appear only once on this page.

This would constitute the passive vocabulary list that one would learn in advance or as one goes along.

The problem with learning lists of words is the lack of context. A list of 240 words tells us nothing about how the
words are used. For example, it doesn't tell us what "thank you very much" means at the end of the first
sentence.

Since this post is now too long, I won't go into the problems of calculating understanding and particularly the
varying importance of words. Some words like nouns are essential for understanding sentences and the whole
text whereas many words, like adjectives, are much less important.

The point of all this is to show that the best way to learn vocabulary is to learn in context and not waste time
counting words.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 106 of 229
10 May 2015 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
Of course you need to learn words in context and pick up these idioms, but they're not
the only thing you need to do. Vocabulary is not an either/or scenario. You can be greedy
here...

By the way, I would rather my vocabulary expand with useand need, but not contract...
that would be awful.

Edited by tarvos on 10 May 2015 at 6:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4871 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 107 of 229
10 May 2015 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I think that everybody here would agree that the number one way of acquiring vocabulary in a foreign language
is through reading.

I agree that reading is the number one way of acquiring vocabulary, but certainly not all do. We have some
advocates of memorization here.

s_allard wrote:

The major problem with learning exclusively through books is that we end up sounding like
books and often have difficulty with the informal spoken language which is best learned by interacting with
native speakers.

Whoa there! Who said anyone was learning exclusively through books? Once I'm at an intermediate level and can
handle books, most of my vocabulary is built by reading books, but I actually spend a lot of time listening to
podcasts containing mostly formal but spontaneous language. Podcast listening doesn't do a great deal for my
vocabulary, but those speakers are what I try to match with my spoken output, not the books I read.

s_allard wrote:

Some people here seem to believe that one should learn words in advance. But which ones? It obviously depends
on what one wants to read.

It's not that you learn the words in advance, and then read the books. You read the books and learn as many
words as you can along the way. Then, when you read other books, you have more known words "in advance."

Eventually I would like to be able to understand not just Harry Potter, but any novel or popular nonfiction book
written in the past 100 years, any formal interviews and conversation, technical writing and lecturing in my areas
of expertise and interest, any films and TV shows, and any informal conversation that native speakers from a
different community would be expected to understand.

That's my ultimate goal, and it takes a lot of words to reach it. Of course, I'm only partially there in languages
other than my native one. That's OK, but the closer I am, the better.

s_allard, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, but you can rest assured that we all know learning a
large number of words is not the key to mastering output. We also know very well by now that you don't care
about passive vocabulary. And that you think counting words is useless. Now, maybe counting words is imprecise
enough to be useless--that's a valid thing to discuss on this thread. But knowing a lot of words is certainly
not useless. If you don't care about it, you should post once here saying so and then create some threads about
stuff you do care about.
8 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 108 of 229
10 May 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I agree that reading is the number one way of acquiring vocabulary, but
certainly not all do. We have some advocates of memorization here.

I think you need to do both. Memorization is more important when you can't
sledgehammer your way through a text using brute force (read: extensive reading). Then
memorizing the individual words à la Iversen is the thing to do, because you can't
guess what an idiom or set phrase may mean if you don't know its constituent words
(ok, the meaning may be hilariously different, but odds are there is some logic behind
the expression).

Reading is killer when you're at the 2000-3000 word stage where you can break through
most simple stuff with a kernel, but everytime someone says something more complex
than "I live in China because I'm a teacher" you give up. That barrier can only be
breached through lots of reading and a few memorization techniques to mop up any stray
vocab you may encounter.

I don't think you can either/or this approach.

As for output it's a different story and you will always only use a small chunk of the
tools at your disposal. That doesn't mean you don't need the rest; you may not think
SIM card is directly useful, but the word card usually is and SIM card is something
everyone buys nowadays, so I'd learn SIM card. And maybe "stadium" isn't obvious
either if you're not a sports fanatic, but I love football, so you can bet I will want
to know "stadium" or at least "football pitch".

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 109 of 229
10 May 2015 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:

It's not that you learn the words in advance, and then read the books. You read the books and learn as many
words as you can along the way. Then, when you read other books, you have more known words "in advance."

Eventually I would like to be able to understand not just Harry Potter, but any novel or popular nonfiction book
written in the past 100 years, any formal interviews and conversation, technical writing and lecturing in my areas
of expertise and interest, any films and TV shows, and any informal conversation that native speakers from a
different community would be expected to understand.

That's my ultimate goal, and it takes a lot of words to reach it. Of course, I'm only partially there in languages
other than my native one. That's OK, but the closer I am, the better.

s_allard, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish, but you can rest assured that we all know learning a
large number of words is not the key to mastering output. We also know very well by now that you don't care
about passive vocabulary. And that you think counting words is useless. Now, maybe counting words is imprecise
enough to be useless--that's a valid thing to discuss on this thread. But knowing a lot of words is certainly
not useless. If you don't care about it, you should post once here saying so and then create some threads about
stuff you do care about.

This actually makes me feel good because I feel that we are somewhat on the same page, no pun intended.   
Nobody is saying that knowing a lot of words is useless. Certainly not me. And I do care about passive
vocabulary. What I've tried to accomplish is some serious debunking and methodology into a debate that tends to
meander and ramble. Not that I expect many people to agree.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 110 of 229
10 May 2015 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Don't learn words just in case you might run into them.

That is a good idea, can you loan me your psychic-time-travel device so I can go forward and write down exactly
what words I'll need to know?

I totally agree. Aren't we saying the same thing? Since we don't know what words we'll need to know, why try to
learn them in advance?

errr... no we are not saying the same thing. If words were survival equipment, I'd rather be overloaded with things I didn't use, than missing the one thing that kept me alive.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

And let's not forget the boy-scout oath to "Always be prepared."

Because nobody does have a way to look into the future, adventurers, mountain climbers, survivalists, sailors, soldiers, and language learners have always tried to be prepared for the unknown.

BTW, If I had the money, and I knew where you lived, I would hire a nuclear physicist to stop you in the bakery and ask you about loop quantum physics in Spanish. :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 111 of 229
10 May 2015 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
After the first few thousand words I don't think anyone learns vocabulary from word lists or flash cards.

This thread is about estimating the words you learn by any means. See the first post.

Besides, people vary a lot. Some don't do flash cards or word lists in the beginning but use them later on. I think emk still uses SRS in French.

I see that you're a beginner in Japanese. As far as I know, you don't get that many "newspaper words" for free in it, just like in Finnish. I gave a medical example here and this applies to other semi-specialized words too.

s_allard wrote:
I think that everybody here would agree that the number one way of acquiring vocabulary in a foreign language is through reading. The major problem with learning exclusively through books is that we end up sounding like books and often have difficulty with the informal spoken language which is best learned by interacting with native speakers.

-Learning from reading doesn't imply only books.
-There's also memorization, as well as other techniques like parallel texts, LR, extensive listening.
-I actually use reading mostly for activating passive vocabulary and improving my grammatical accuracy.

Quote:
Some people here seem to believe that one should learn words in advance.

Not me. And believe it or not, I don't think a large vocabulary is all you need. In fact, most HTLAL'ers are not lost sheep in need of your guidance. And the newbies generally get great replies here.

Quote:
But we have a more serious problem. What to do about the phrasal verbs where a verb and a preposition make a distinct unit? We have "came in, woke up, picked out, gossiped away, picked up".

This issue is quite unique to English. SLA is already too focused on English, let's not bring up phrasal verbs in every thread about vocab acquisition and use. In the grand scheme of things they're actually quite a minor issue. I've not been able to find ANY thread here asking "how do I learn phrasal verbs?" (only about specific phrasal verbs and their meaning/usage).

Quote:
The point of all this is to show that the best way to learn vocabulary is to learn in context and not waste time counting words.

They are not mutually exclusive. How many things would you have wanted Jeffers to mention explicitly in the first post? That language learning is more than just vocab? That this is not a contest to find the best learners, but a thread to discuss what we consider doable/average/common? That it's useful to master a small set of vocabulary well, especially in a multilingual place like Montreal or Malta? That it's possible to know many words but struggle with speaking?

This is more or less what others appear to have assumed, but somehow you always assume the opposite in any thread.

Imagine someone asking "I'm going to Ireland next month, any recs for dabbling with Irish?" and someone else replying "lol dude they speak English there". Impossible on HTLAL.

Edited by Serpent on 10 May 2015 at 3:34pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 112 of 229
10 May 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Besides, people vary a lot. Some don't do flash cards or word lists in the
beginning but use them later on. I think emk still uses SRS in French.

They do, but their methods change. The parameters are absolutely not the same as for a
beginner and that is as should be. That's about the same as saying "I am using the oven
to cook food". Sure, but you don't always set it to 200 degrees centigrade, now do you?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version