Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 28 29 Next >>
rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 137 of 229
12 May 2015 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Ages ago, EMK started a thread about French word frequency and did a number of really great charts based on the data from the Université de Savoie; French Vocabulary Frequency with Lexique.

It shows that, for French at least, in order to speak/read/understand at a 99.5% level you need to know over 20,000 words, and 99% is still above 16,000 words. Also interesting to quote EMK: "One thing really stands out here: Nouns are just brutal. They may only make up 15% of a typical text, but you need far more nouns than anything else."

BTW, s_allard made the same assertions in that thread, so rather than re-hash it all here, you might want to all go read the thread in it's entirety, and if you're interested in French and know a little SQLite (or just sql) EMK gave links to downloading the French Lexique for yourself. To be fair to s_allard, the chart does show in order to get 75% coverage you only need to know about 1400 words, the problem is which 1400 words do you need?

7 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 138 of 229
12 May 2015 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
If we had a bigger corpus of your output, we might be able to find the point at which new unique words begin to become infrequent.

This sentence from Robarb's post got me thinking about something I've wondered about from time to time. When I did frequency analysis of Hindi, every new text had a decent amount of new unique vocabulary items, as well as new uses of words that previously were unique in my growing corpus. So I've often wondered at what corpus size does the increase become negligible? My Hindi corpus got up to only around 150,000 words, so any new text still has new words, but if you get the base corpus up there must be a point where adding new texts has little effect on the frequency list.

This might be relevant to members who read a lot, for example participants in the Super Challenge. If you read at the rate required for the SC, you are reading about 900,000 words per year (3000 pages per year * 300 words per page). At a pace like that you should soon get to the point where unseen words are a rarity. Of course it depends on the sorts of books you are reading.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 139 of 229
12 May 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I admire the statistical skills of my fellow posters who are determined to prove that I have a larger vocabulary that
I claim to have. When I get around to it, I'll do some number-crunching myself. But, it my opinion, all this is is
besides the point.

I keep hearing all these figures and ratios flying around but nobody is telling me how they can use those
numbers of words.

The fundamental question is always the same: What can you do with your vocabulary? I don't want to know the
size of your vocabulary. I want to see what you can do with it.

In a previous post I gave a list of 10 tasks that I hope to accomplish in Spanish. One of them is to write personal
and professional e-mails. It goes without saying that these e-mails should sound as natural and be error-free as
possible. How many words do I need to do this?

If I learn all the 5000 words of Routledge's Spanish frequency dictionary, will I be able to spontaneously write
proper e-mails? I doubt it. Is the solution more words? Somebody told me I needed an active vocabulary of 20000
words. Again I doubt it. The problem isn't the number of words, it's how you put the words together.

E-mail writing is not a particularly demanding literary genre, so what's the problem? It's pretty simple. The
problem is how to construct a series of correct sentences that respect the conventions of the genre and convey
the desired message. Easier said than done. What words do you choose? What forms do you give to these words
according to rules of grammar? What order do you put the words in? What is the degree of formality? How do you
open and close? Etc.

I know how to do this quite well in my native language because I have read and written thousands of e-mails but
in Spanish it's always challenging because I just don't have the experience. I would not dare send a professional
e-mail in Spanish without having it checked by my tutor.

Do most people here believe that the solution is to throw more words at the problem? I truly doubt it despite all
the talk about knowing large numbers of words. I suspect that most people here would do exactly as I do and
think twice about sending off a 300-word professional letter in a foreign language without running it by a native
speaker. But I could be wrong.

Something I find quite fascinating about all these discussions about vocabulary size is that there is not even a
hint of a similar discussion about grammar size. What's that? How about trying to measure the level of your
grammar skills? I'm using the word grammar in a very wide sense of rules of putting words into sentences. I
believe that grammar is just as important as vocabulary. That is the wall we always run into. Words without good
grammar are pretty useless.

For example, I've always noticed that what trips up very advanced speakers of English or French is the small
things like prepositions and verb forms.

When I have written about using small vocabularies, I have always insisted on the fact that the real skill is
mastering the grammar that is required to use these words well. In fact, the whole idea of a language kernel is
actually based on the idea of identifying the key or core grammatical and semantic structures of a writing or
speaking genre. Instead of worrying about numbers of words, people would be much better served by learning
the key grammar constructs that determine how words are put together.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4161 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 140 of 229
12 May 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
If someone asked you "how many eggs do I need to bake this or that," would you answer "you
can't bake this or that with eggs only?" Grammar is at least just as useless without vocab as
vocab is without grammar.
6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 141 of 229
12 May 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I keep hearing all these figures and ratios flying around but nobody is telling me how they can use those numbers of words.

Yeah. I did. I use them to read novels and advanced newspapers in my TL.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 142 of 229
12 May 2015 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The fundamental question is always the same: What can you do with your vocabulary? I don't want to know the size of your vocabulary. I want to see what you can do with it.

Why do you care about my vocabulary size or what I can do with it? [EDIT: this bit of my post was meant to be cheeky banter rather than an attack, but reading it again it could be interpreted as a bit too aggresive. That's not my intention at all.]

s_allard wrote:
In a previous post I gave a list of 10 tasks that I hope to accomplish in Spanish. One of them is to write personal and professional e-mails. It goes without saying that these e-mails should sound as natural and be error-free as possible. How many words do I need to do this?

If I learn all the 5000 words of Routledge's Spanish frequency dictionary, will I be able to spontaneously write proper e-mails? I doubt it. Is the solution more words? Somebody told me I needed an active vocabulary of 20000 words. Again I doubt it. The problem isn't the number of words, it's how you put the words together.

The problem with this argument is that if I simply swap the words "grammar" and "vocabulary" you have the same problem. How much grammar do I need to write personal and professional emails? Probably not a lot. If need be I could do the whole thing in present tense.

Turning to the example of ordering bread at a bakery in French, do I really need to know the preterite tense? Should I learn it on the odd chance that I will bump into an author who will engage me with literary questions? Okay, that's as ridiculous a example as the quantum physics example. But do I need to know the imperfect? I'm sure I could get away with the passé composé. Do I need to understand all of the subtle varieties of the use of être?

s_allard wrote:
If I learn all the 5000 words of Routledge's Spanish frequency dictionary, will I be able to spontaneously write proper e-mails? I doubt it. Is the solution more words? Somebody told me I needed an active vocabulary of 20000
words. Again I doubt it. The problem isn't the number of words, it's how you put the words together.

I could equally ask if I learn all of the grammar taught in some Spanish grammar, will I be able to spontaneously write proper e-mails? Of course not, and I doubt you would think so either.

Let's look again at the more practical example of the professional letter:
s_allard wrote:
Do most people here believe that the solution is to throw more words at the problem? I truly doubt it despite all the talk about knowing large numbers of words. I suspect that most people here would do exactly as I do and think twice about sending off a 300-word professional letter in a foreign language without running it by a native speaker. But I could be wrong.

I have yet to see anyone say the solution is to "throw more words at the problem". In any case, there is no doubt I would be looking for grammatical help, but I think that in reality most of the help given would be in helping me to find the appropriate word to replace the more ordinary vocabulary I would have chosen.

My point is not to argue for vocabulary over grammar. I think both are equally necessary, and I would argue against either extreme. In the context of this discussion, however, you can't argue that you only need a few words for a conversation and then suggest grammar in its place. How many points of grammar do I need for a single conversation?

My point is that you need both grammar and vocabulary. More importantly, you need practice and experiece with using both. I think that's probably something we can all agree on.

Edited by Jeffers on 12 May 2015 at 7:58pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 143 of 229
12 May 2015 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Let's be really generous and say I used 300 different words in the thread here.

I ran the corpus of your writing in this thread through a unique-word counter, and it came up with 1767
unique words. I sampled 100 of them and found that 92 of them were genuine English words (eliminating things
like Wikipedia, HTLAL, or 2500). Therefore, I estimate that you used about 1626 unique word-forms on this
thread. That's not lemmatized, so you could reduce the numbers somewhat. How many different forms per
lemma do you suppose you've used on the thread, on average?

Now that I have a minute, I decided to revisit this issue of the size of the vocabulary of my posts in this thread. I
imagine that @robarb used the Advanced Text Analyser at usingenglish.com and estimated that I used about
1626 word-forms. In the jargon of Paul Nation et al, that refers to different spellings. For example, "is, was, were,
be, been, are, am, being" are considered separate words. It's not clear what happens to things like "has been, had
been, have been will be". The same for "continue, continues, continued, continuing, continuous, continuously".

What we are interested in is the unique word-families whereby the above forms would be reduced to some
generic form such as "be" and "continue".

How many word-families are in the 1626 word-forms? Looking at a sample of 519 word-forms, I see examples
such as:
acquire, acquiring, acquisition
active, actively
actual, actually
advance, advanced
challenge, challenging
post, posts, posters, poster

and many more. My estimate is that the 1626 word-forms are made up of around 813 word-families. It is true
that this is a much larger number than my earlier statement that my posts used a maximum of 500 word-
families. I was wrong.

An intriguing question remains. If this figure of 813 word-families is derived from a sample of 20 posts, what
would be the figure for all 25xx posts? One could argue that since the thread subjects differ, the word-families
used to deal with the various topics will have to expand.

This is true to some extent, but one could also argue that since the topics here at HTLAL revolve around a same
theme and, the windbag I am, I repeat myself a lot, as many people like to point out, my vocabulary is relatively
stable. I agree with this and suggest that the entire active vocabulary size for all my posts is around 1500 word-
families.

This is in line with what I have always said around here. I can recognize and certainly use many more words than
these of course but those are the ones that I have actually used.

What this also says to me is that in Spanish, there is a good chance that I only need about 1500 words to
participate actively in a blog or forum. This is very encouraging but unfortunately, it's not as simple as that, for
reasons that I have already outlined. If I could just figure out how to use 1500 words in Spanish properly.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 144 of 229
12 May 2015 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
s_allard wrote:
In a previous post I gave a list of 10 tasks that I hope to accomplish in Spanish. One of them is
to write personal and professional e-mails. It goes without saying that these e-mails should sound as natural
and be error-free as possible. How many words do I need to do this?

If I learn all the 5000 words of Routledge's Spanish frequency dictionary, will I be able to spontaneously write
proper e-mails? I doubt it. Is the solution more words? Somebody told me I needed an active vocabulary of 20000

The problem with this argument is that if I simply swap the words "grammar" and "vocabulary" you have the same
problem. How much grammar do I need to write personal and professional emails? Probably not a lot. If need
be I could do the whole thing in present tense.

Turning to the example of ordering bread at a bakery in French, do I really need to know the preterite tense?
Should I learn it on the odd chance that I will bump into an author who will engage me with literary questions?
Okay, that's as ridiculous a example as the quantum physics example. But do I need to know the imperfect? I'm
sure I could get away with the passé composé. Do I need to understand all of the subtle varieties of the use of
être?

s_allard wrote:
If I learn all the 5000 words of Routledge's Spanish frequency dictionary, will I be able to
spontaneously write proper e-mails? I doubt it. Is the solution more words? Somebody told me I needed an active
vocabulary of 20000

I could equally ask if I learn all of the grammar taught in some Spanish grammar, will I be able to spontaneously
write proper e-mails? Of course not, and I doubt you would think so either.

Let's look again at the more practical example of the professional letter:
s_allard wrote:
Do most people here believe that the solution is to throw more words at the problem? I truly
doubt it despite all the talk about knowing large numbers of words. I suspect that most people here would do
exactly as I do and think twice about sending off a 300-word professional letter in a foreign language without
running it by a native speaker. But I could be wrong.

I have yet to see anyone say the solution is to "throw more words at the problem". In any case, there is no doubt
I would be looking for grammatical help, but I think that in reality most of the help given would be in helping me
to find the appropriate word to replace the more ordinary vocabulary I would have chosen.

My point is not to argue for vocabulary over grammar. I think both are equally necessary, and I would
argue against either extreme. In the context of this discussion, however, you can't argue that you only need a
few words for a conversation and then suggest grammar in its place. How many points of grammar do I need for
a single conversation?

My point is that you need both grammar and vocabulary. More importantly, you need practice and
experiece with using both. I think that's probably something we can all agree on.

Jeffers has raised a couple of interesting points here, but I'll just concentrate on one point that I think highlights
what this discussion is all about. Speaking about the 300-word professional letter, jeffers writes : "...there is no
doubt I would be looking for grammatical help, but I think that in reality most of the help given would be in
helping me to find the appropriate word to replace the more ordinary vocabulary I would have chosen."

I fundamentally disagree with this idea that most of the help is in replacing the ordinary vocabulary. The number
one problem is mistakes that is totally unaware of. These mistakes are of various kinds: spelling mistakes, wrong
words, bad grammar, wrong tone of voice, non-respect of conventions for opening and closing of letters. A lot
can go wrong besides just replacing so-called ordinary vocabulary.

Since jeffers sees this as just an issue of vocabulary, the solution is replacing the supposedly poor vocabulary. My
position is that vocabulary is only one part of the equation. In fact, I may have all the right words; it's just that I
can't use them well.

I'm not arguing for grammar over vocabulary. You need both, and on this point, jeffers and I agree. My position
has always been the same in all the threads here: a very effective strategy I propose is to work on a small set of
words with strong emphasis on grammar and actual speaking (where possible) and then expand the vocabulary
as necessary.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version