Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 241 of 360
11 December 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Again, you have given me some food for thought. However, I am not that wise yet so my personal path isn't going to be changed no matter how much I admire your approach. :-)

Do anything that will make you happy. If working on your English has been pleasant for you so far, there is no reason not to continue. However I agree that there is much less motivation to be found after a certain point (different to each of us). You can do whatever you want, natives surely won't have much trouble with your English, you can understand anything you need, do anything you need. And it is harder to find "easy" ways to improve. If the CAE or CPE will work as a source of motivation, go for it! But be prepared that there are fewer tutors (and hey are more expensive) capable of polishing your active skills, which appears to be what you seek.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 242 of 360
11 December 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Again, you have given me some food for thought. However, I am not that wise yet so my personal path isn't going to be changed no matter how much I admire your approach. :-)
[...]

Gosh you make me blush with your kind words, but I’m not sure there’s much to admire here: I only feel rather perplexed and bewildered and so I tried writing about it to see if I could make my ideas clearer first and foremost to myself.

@Josquin @Cristina @mrwarper @Expugnator

I think that you’ve won me over: I really don’t want to abandon the Russian team because I’ve truly loved team MIR this year and I hope that the group dynamics for 2014 will be as positive. And if I get to actually learn a little more Russian, all the better.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 243 of 360
13 December 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
The 6wc finished yesterday, so I should probably say how it went.

November was excellent but December wasn’t so great. As usual I lost steam as the weeks went by and I ended up studying less and less. Moreover, in the final days I was probably too taken up with projects and planning for next year’s TAC, which is already occupying much of our energy despite still being a few weeks away.

For a change the hours I logged with Swedish weren’t inflated by an awful lot of TV-watching: I’ve nothing against watching TV, but knowing that most of the time I spent with Swedish was actual study-time is reason for celebration for me.

Just like in my previous participations in the 6wc, very little was accomplished in my other languages: I hope next time I’ll be better at juggling them all. After all, this was the last time I was allowed to choose Swedish as my target language (which is kind of sad, actually), so come February I should have more incentives to work harder on something other than Swedish.

Time logged with Swedish: 60hr 12min (14th overall)
Total time logged: 136hr 1min (9th overall)

Edited by Emme on 13 December 2013 at 8:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 244 of 360
23 December 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
The past few days haven’t been great study-wise, as I’ve spent quite a lot of time setting up the TAC’14 thread for the new Scandinavian team. While it was time-demanding, it gave me the chance to learn a little bit about htlm formatting (I must admit that I had never before added a picture in any of my posts, nor changed the font for a title), so it wasn’t all time down the drain.

But above all, opening the Scandinavian thread made me scour the internet in search of resources for Danish and Norwegian to link to. And so for the first time I really had to face the much talked-about transparency among the Nordic languages.

My opinion? They are transparent and I truly believe that I was able to understand what was written on the various websites with a fair degree of accuracy, even though not with the same ease as if they were written in Swedish. And yet, the transparency is a really deceptive one. As soon as you feel a bit comfortable with reading, you come across a word that no matter how much Swedish, English, German, French or even Latin you know, simply stumps you and you can’t make head or tail of the sentence unless you look it up. Sure, I need to remember that my Swedish is quite good for a self-learner but certainly not stellar, but still Norwegian and Danish were an interesting brain-teaser to solve.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4145 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 245 of 360
23 December 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed the same thing with Norwegian. I've been looking for jobs in Norway and am
quite able to read the ads. I haven't yet been able to speak with someone from Norway but
i'm hoping on meeting on soon to actually hear the similarities.

How's it going with Julkalendern :) ?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 246 of 360
23 December 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
[...] How's it going with Julkalendern :) ?

Enjoying it very much!

I’m a little ashamed of myself, to be honest. ;-)

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4145 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 247 of 360
23 December 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Haha same here. Last episode is airing tomorrow, can barely wait haha

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 248 of 360
23 December 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Kez wrote:
[...] How's it going with Julkalendern :) ?

Enjoying it very much!

I’m a little ashamed of myself, to be honest. ;-)

It has pretty good ratings on imdb, so don't be, you're not alone ;) I started watching
it yesterday, certainly an interesting concept.

Edited by daegga on 23 December 2013 at 9:35pm

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version