Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 209 of 360
30 October 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I doubt it. Half the population would need them :-D

There was an eshop (not sure whether it was closed) that kept selling the lightbulbs as
"heating spheres" among other heating devices.

Well, there are differences among the new "lightbulbs" but those that have a better color
(and don't take ages to start) are quite expensive and still not that awesome in my
opinion. And it is not true that you save a lot of money long-term. A lot of types go out
faster than the old lightbulbs used to.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 210 of 360
30 October 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
@Iversen
You Scandinavians are so much more aware of the problem (and its possible solutions) than people here in “sunny” Italy are. I bet that if I asked the man on the street (no psychologist, psychiatrist or other medical doctor) what SAD is I would be greeted by a blank stare 99.9% of the time. It really never gets discussed here.

I agree with montmorency: as medical appliances, SAD lamps are probably subject to different regulations than normal lamps. After all medical equipment is often neither eco-friendly nor hazard free: I’m thinking of nuclear medicine, for instance. But of course, appliances for hospitals cannot be compared to domestic ones. But this is not my field, so I have really no idea.

Anyway, it seems that 10,000 LUX lights can be easily bought online from that famous seller – who shares a name with a rainforest in South America – for as little as £50. Whether they are any good/safe/useful etc. I’m the last person to know.

EDIT: typo, awkward phrasing.

Edited by Emme on 31 October 2013 at 2:18pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 211 of 360
30 October 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Here, it is not discussed as SAD. But every year, there is an elevated number of suicides
and half the population appears to suffer from the lack of sun. Obviously, we are right
between the two. It is mentioned in the newspapers every year alongside some stupid
advice like "rest enough, drink tea".

I've always wondered how do the Scandinavians survive that. Perhaps one day, I will have
an opportunity to find out.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 212 of 360
31 October 2013 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
SAD is not extremely well known as a diagnosis here either - we just take it for granted that everyone gets slightly more depressed and introvert at the time of the year when you get up in the dark, you get dressed in the dark, you go to work in the dark, and you go home in the dark. The few hours of sunshine you have during the day you are at work. Why do you think we eat, drink and party our way through half of November and all of December:-) (Julebord) We also have so many candles around that in December we have a record numbers of fires (at least they make us keep warm:-)

I have one of those lamps because my poor daughter is cursed with both SAD and allergy against the cold (you can imagine how happy she is about living in Norway...)

The lamp is effecient, but fairly expensive, so you would need to really suffer severely from SAD to be willing to fork out that kind of money for what looks like a desk lamp.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 213 of 360
31 October 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[...]
I have one of those lamps because my poor daughter is cursed with both SAD and allergy against the cold (you can imagine how happy she is about living in Norway...)
[...]

Poor girl!

Is she the one who spent (is spending?) some months with a host family in Spain? I suppose that a change of climate (like moving from Norway to Southern Europe) for at least the worst part of winter would be a great help to her.

Tell her that I’m sending her my best wishes!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 214 of 360
31 October 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa
I still owe you an answer to your question on Tuesday.

Cavesa wrote:
[...]
By the way, where do you buy your Swedish resources?

My Swedish resources come from all over the place (literally).

A few are borrowed from libraries or friends, but most I bought or I received as presents: if you instruct your closest friends/family the right way, you may never need to personally buy another textbook or novel in your life! ;-) But you must ensure that you make their life easy by being very clear about what is on your wish-list: Title, author, publisher, ISBN etc. For me that works quite well. You may try it as well!

The books I bought for myself were mainly acquired in large (ie. with a vast foreign language section) brick and mortar bookshops in big cities abroad (Stockholm, London, Munich, Salzburg, Hamburg etc.) during my travels.

It also happened a couple of times that if I was the one staying at home but a close friend was going to Sweden, I’d commission them to buy books for me (not presents in this case, as I would advance the money or give it back on their return).

I’ve also ordered books through the university bookseller in the city where I used to study.

And once I even bought directly from the publisher.

What I haven’t done yet is buy online from Swedish bookshops. I know that bokus.com ships abroad, but I have no idea of the quality of their service.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 215 of 360
31 October 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Bokus ship books to our library daily, there's nothing to complain about.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 31 October 2013 at 7:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 216 of 360
31 October 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I think I've already reached the ceiling of what I can ask from my family. They are
monolingual, and no shop (eshop or normal) located in Prague or in the Czech Republic
sells them. I already managed to ask for originals at least when it comes to books in
English.

I found two or three eshops (one located in Germany) but I haven't tried them yet.
After all, I am still at the very beginnings of my Swedish journey. And there is one
library that focuses on scandinavian and nordic languages. But I don't want to expect
too much from it in order not to get disappointed in future.

I'll check out bokus, thanks for the idea. It ships to the Czech Republic, the question
is how much they ask for it.

I need some friends who would regularily go to Sweden. Hmm. I got an idea, if the 6wc
goes well, I will follow it. :-) A good piece of motivation for me.

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version