Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 121 of 360
08 February 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Congrats, Emme! I'm about the same time as you, even though I tried Russian several years
ago. I'm sure the next 100 days will bring a lot more of hope and fun!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 122 of 360
21 February 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Today I’ve reached a tiny milestone: it’s 100 days since I’ve started learning Russian.

That is awesome. Congratulations. :)

Emme wrote:
What’s weirdest (and somehow I still can’t wrap my head around how that happened) is that until just a few months ago I’d never imagined that I’d be studying this amazing language. I had always thought that the first exotic language (i.e. not the usual English, French, German, Spanish etc.) I would try to learn would be Chinese or Japanese. Life always has a way to surprise us!

Isn't it strange what happens to us when we hang around HTLAL too much?

I think we can blame kanewai for starting the Assimil challenge. It's his fault. :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 123 of 360
10 March 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Hey Emme,

how's everything going? I hope you're still making progress in Russian? It would be great to read from you again soon!

Успехов!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 124 of 360
10 March 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Josquin for dropping by.

Here’s a quick post to say hi to everybody, especially my fellow Mir and Viking teammates.

I’m sorry that I’ve been absent from the forum for the past month.

Everything was going fine especially with Russian and the 6wc when we had a major health crisis in the family. Hopefully, the worse is now over, but I’m not sure if and when I’ll be able to get back to language learning in earnest with log updates and twitter posts. Priorities are very different now: at most I may use language learning as a distraction from other worries (god knows I need it!).

I hope to be back soon and to read about all your amazing progress in the meantime.

Wishing you all the best!
Emme

Edited by Emme on 10 March 2013 at 8:31pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 125 of 360
10 March 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Hope the crisis become soon a thing of the past, Emme! All the best to your family. I'd
be happy to see you around with Russian again!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 126 of 360
10 March 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Oh dear, there really seems to be some sort of curse on Team MIR! Of course, family is more important than everything else. I hope everything turns out well and you can get back to your languages soon!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 127 of 360
24 March 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the moral support, Expugnator and Josquin!

---

Things have somewhat improved in the past couple of weeks, and I’ve been able to spend 10 minutes here, half an hour there with my target languages: nothing very intense, just watching some TV, listening to podcasts or reading the news in my TL(s). None of it is “real study” (at least not in my book), but it’s nice to be able to steal a little time for myself now and then to engage in languages again.

I’m awfully behind reading everybody’s logs, so please bear with me while I try to catch up!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 128 of 360
25 March 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Life sometimes throws you curv balls, and our team members seem to have received their fair share this
year, but I know that we will overcome that. I work with a French organisation where three out of four of the
last heads have been chauvinist, undemocratic and a bully. Since I call them on it, I get my fair share of
blows. My boss described me as someone who could get knocked out, but would take a moment to
breathe, struggle up on my feet again, spit out blood and teeth and go charging right into the fight again.

I am counting on all of us to do that once we get our bearings. We just need to catch our breath first. :-)

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version