Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 193 of 360
25 September 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Then I’ll keep reminding you of your projects! ;-)

Yes, sharing one’s intentions is a huge help to keep us accountable. Moreover, the spirit here on the forum is generally very supportive and positive: that’s why I’m still sticking around on HTLAL 3+ years after I wrote my first post. And honestly, I never thought I would last so long!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 194 of 360
25 September 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Oh, please do! :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4318 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 195 of 360
26 September 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
What about you, sans-serif, what’s your plan of action with Swedish right now and for the foreseeable future?

I'm not entirely sure. Murakami's 1Q84, which I finished a while ago, was a major breakthrough for me, and I'm tempted to put everything else on hold and indulge myself, blasting through piles of books in Swedish, now that reading finally feels like reading. On the other hand, I've now reached my most important goal, the ability to read and listen more or less effortlessly, so I'm technically supposed to be going into maintenance mode. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious to make progress with German, too, but I guess I'd just like to take a moment (more like six months, really) to enjoy the fruits of my labor before moving on.

Whatever I decide on, one thing I'm looking forward to experimenting with is Swedish–German L-R—at triple speed, if I can handle it. That was supposed to form the bulk of my maintenance activities for Swedish, along with a couple podcasts I regularly listen to, but I'm starting to think I'll feel deprived if I don't include some normal reading into my activities, as well.

EDIT:
If you were wondering, these Swedish books I keep bringing up are for later, when I can find the time to practice speaking and writing more intensively. For the next year or two, most my efforts will be focused on improving my German, and later my French, through reading and listening.

Edited by sans-serif on 26 September 2013 at 6:08pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 196 of 360
01 October 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
@sans-serif
You’re clearly out of my league when it comes to Swedish! You seem to be with Swedish where I am with German: first of all trying to maintain the language by engaging with it passively rather than by actively studying it and secondly trying to improve it by reading extensively.

That’s what my mini-SuperChallenge is all about: forcing myself to keep using German for “pleasure” rather than for work or study. And that explains the kind of things I read and watch: Airport novels and TV-movies are not exactly what I would normally choose, but I get a certain amount of satisfaction in realizing that, as you say, finally reading feels like reading (and TV watching feels like the lazy pastime TV usually is).

The past week was especially productive on the mini-SuperChallenge front, at least the non-reading part. But I seriously need to start reading more, or at least I need to finish some of the novels I’ve started and not finished yet (does anyone notice a pattern here?), otherwise I will never make it by the end of December.

Mini-Super Challenge update.

Films / Radio dramas:
60/100 Die Wanderhure (121’)
61/100 WDR Hörspiel: Bunker von Tom Noga, © WDR 2013, 53'
62/100 WDR Hörspiel: Caught in the ad – Teil 1 von Silke Denk und Stuart Kummer, © WDR 2013, 55'
63/100 WDR Hörspiel: Eifelgeist von Martin Heindel, © WDR 2013, 55'
64/100 WDR Hörspiel: Lebenslinien: Blumenjunge von Ralf Thenior, © WDR 2013, 54'
65/100 Uferlos! (89’)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 197 of 360
01 October 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
You're doing really great! I wish I had that discipline.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 198 of 360
10 October 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
@fabriciocarraro

Thank you! But it seems that you’ve nothing to complain about as I think you’re really doing great with Russian (being married with a Russian native and hosting her friends sounds like a great opportunity for speedy progress) and with your new adventure with Arabic!
----

Some news about Swedish

Last week I did this test. Differently from the placement test that I tried some time ago (and I wrote about earlier in this log), this one doesn’t try to gauge your proficiency level, but to diagnose problem areas you may have developed in your grammar.

I tried to do this test as quickly as possible in order not to overthink my answers and, by doing so, find out what I’ve really internalized and what still needs working. I scored 76 out of 81, which doesn’t seem too bad. But the better news is that my 5 errors are spread out on different topics, so there is no one area where my knowledge is particularly weak, but rather a few points that I need to fine-tune and make more automatic. Moreover, most of the wrong answers turned out to be those where I didn’t feel very confident in my answer while doing the test, thus showing that I’m somewhat aware of my weak spots when confronted with them.

If learning a language has as much to do with learning how to learn as with mastering grammar, vocabulary, prosody etc., I think this kind of awareness is important.

Overall I’m rather satisfied by the result of the test and by the way Swedish is progressing. I might of course study more in terms of time spent on task, but today I want to concentrate on the positive aspects of my learning process -- and leave the complaining about how slow the process actually is for another time! ;-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 199 of 360
10 October 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Great work, Emme!You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments in Swedish!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 200 of 360
11 October 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Way to go, Emme! Soon you'll be adding Swedish to your 'Speak list then!

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version