Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 257 of 360
31 December 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
@Sabrina VG
Thank you! Good luck with your language goals too!

@fabriciocarraro
Thanks! I really need to get serious about Russian if I want to see results, but sometimes it’s just easier to dabble a little aimlessly as I did this year. Good luck with Japanese: you’ve got no idea how tempted I am to follow in your and Josquin’s steps and add it to the languages I study.

@jeff_lindqvist
Thank you so much!
See you on our new Scandinavian team. It’s always good to have a Swede there!

AlOlaf wrote:
Jösses! Your organizational skills are nothing short of astonishing.

OCD much? ;-)
But I know you meant it as a compliment, so thank you!

@Stelle
¡Gracias!
And I’m looking forward to getting to know you and all the other Lobos and following the progress of the team.

---

Happy New Year!

Gott nytt år! Jag önskar er alla ett lyckosamt 2014! Hoppas det blir ett riktigt bra år.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 258 of 360
31 December 2013 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
You have done an amazing job, and I am really proud of you. Where in Assimil Russian did you get stuck? I
got stuck around lesson 50, perhaps we could struggle through the rest together :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 259 of 360
31 December 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
You have been an awesome source of inspiration during the whole year 2013! Your Swedish success is awesome and don't be too hard on yourself for the others. You seem to have done a fair chunk of German input and that can't go without consequences ;-)

Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading you in 2014

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 260 of 360
31 December 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Cavesa, you’re too kind! I’m looking forward to your Swedish adventure too. We can cheer us on when we get stuck or we lose confidence, and that’s certainly the best thing of doing the TAC together (and in two teams to boot!).

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You have done an amazing job, and I am really proud of you. Where in Assimil Russian did you get stuck? I
got stuck around lesson 50, perhaps we could struggle through the rest together :-)

That would be great! But I thought we had different editions (or do you mean we may share the technique more than the actual lessons?)

I believe you have been using the latest English edition, but I was using the 70-lesson Il nuovo russo senza sforzo, Italian edition of Le Nouveau Russe sans peine by Vladimir Dronov, Vladimir Matchabelli and Françoise Gallais. The copyright on the CDs (and so presumably the year of publication of the first edition in French) is 1998.
The first lesson starts with:

Добрый день!
Добрый день!
Как дела?
Хорошо!
Бы куда?

What about yours?

Edited by Emme on 31 December 2013 at 5:58pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 261 of 360
31 December 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:

I believe you have been using the latest English edition, but I was using the 70-lesson Il nuovo russo senza
sforzo
, Italian edition of Le Nouveau Russe sans peine by Vladimir Dronov, Vladimir Matchabelli and Françoise
Gallais. The copyright on the CDs (and so presumably the year of publication of the first edition in French) is 1998.
The first lesson starts with:

Добрый день!
Добрый день!
Как дела?
Хорошо!
Бы куда?

What about yours?

I am using the most recent English version, and this does NOT match the first lesson. FWIW, I made it through 30-
some lessons in the 6WC this year, and I plan to start pushing forward again with Assimil sometime in the next
couple of months.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 262 of 360
31 December 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
[...]
I am using the most recent English version, and this does NOT match the first lesson. FWIW, I made it through 30-some lessons in the 6WC this year, and I plan to start pushing forward again with Assimil sometime in the next couple of months.

Yes, I think there was another edition published around 2010. If I’m not mistaken the author is Victoria Melnikova-Suchet. And from what I’ve heard about it, the learning curve is less steep than in the 70-lesson one.

But I’m always interested in reading other opinions, in case I decide to buy it or to track it down through an interlibrary loan.

As you’ve worked with it for a while already, how do you like it so far?

Edited by Emme on 31 December 2013 at 6:43pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 263 of 360
31 December 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:

Yes, I think there was another edition published around 2010. If I’m not mistaken the author is Victoria Melnikova-
Suchet. And from what I’ve heard about it, the learning curve is less steep than in the 70-lesson one.

But I’m always interested in reading other opinions, in case I decide to buy it or to track it down through an
interlibrary loan.

As you’ve worked with it for a while already, how do you like it so far?

I think it's pretty well done. I've previously done New French With Ease, which was great, and Assimil Italian, which
worked, but was not so great, IMO. This course seems well-edited, and the dialogues certainly are entertaining. As
is usual for Assimil, the treatment of grammar is light, but that's fine by me. I've studied Russian grammar before,
and there are all the tables you need in a reference section in the back. The pace of the speakers is pretty slow to
start, but ramps up to a reasonable level. As I recall, the thick consonant clusters were very hard for me to get used
to back when I first started learning Russian with Pimsleur, so this may be a good thing that it starts out pretty
slow. By my count the total vocabulary introduced is about 1000 items, and the vocabulary was the hardest part for
me. With Romance languages, Assimil was "easy" because most words were cognates from at least one of English,
German, or Latin, so I had little trouble assimilating the vocabulary. With Russian, I would listen to the dialogues
over and over in addition to my regular routine, and still wouldn't really internalize some words very well. That's
why I've shifted strategy for now to extensive reading and Anki learning, and my hope is that Assimil will be easier
once I have gotten used to more of the basic vocabulary from seeing it "in the wild." I just am not learning the
words without concentrating on them and using memory tricks (see, e.g., the Barry Farber book).

I assume that if you got as far as you did that Cyrillic is no longer a problem for you. Having learned Cyrillic over
20 years ago, I skipped everything relating to teaching the alphabet entirely, so I can't comment on how well that
was done or how they make the transition from romanized pronunciation aids to reading the Cyrillic directly.
Anyone else with experience learning Cyrillic from Assimil should chime in here.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 264 of 360
01 January 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Well-done, Emme! I'm really happy about your progress! You overcame that difficult period
with Russian, when we realize it isn't going to be a walk in the park, and you kept
consistency with Swedish too! Looking forward to share a lot in 2014. I hope you can get
hold of lots of fun stuff for your German challenges, as you already speak it, and it can
work as both a leisure time and a motivation booster for other languages.

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version