Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 153 of 360
08 May 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa

I see your problem.

Luckily for me, in the libraries I use here in Italy they prefer to suspend you for an increasing period of time rather than fine you for late returns. And I’m quite good at keeping an overall look on due-dates so that I’ve never been suspended.

Of course there are books I do prefer to own, but not for taking notes: don’t laugh at me, but I even try not to break the spine of books, so it’s not likely that I’ll write in them.

As for bookshops that ship abroad I thought that Adlibris did, but actually that’s not the case: see here.

I’ve never used a Swedish online bookshop and I don’t think the P&P comes cheap, but I too would be curious to know of the available possibilities. For the time being, I’m still reading the books I bought in Stockholm years ago (and every time a friend of mine happens to go to Sweden I beg them to bring me home a novel. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen very often).

@Expugnator

How can one know if the Potapova’s book is abridged? In the library I’ve found the 582-page Italian edition from 1957 but I’ve no ideas how many lessons or units are supposed to be there (or do you think the lessons are all there but got cut and edited in some ways?).

---

P.S.
I’ve just had a look around in Italian forums and it seems that both the French and Italian editions have 70 lessons, but graphically the French one is prettier (at the beginning of every lesson there’s a picture that is missing from the Italian edition) and printed on better-quality paper. Apart from that though, I’m still not sure if the text was abridged in some way or not.

What about the Spanish and Portuguese editions? Any idea?

Edited by Emme on 08 May 2013 at 9:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 154 of 360
08 May 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Well, maybe they aren't but the fact is they are called "Manual Breve de Lengua Rusa" and "Breve Manual da Língua Russa". The Portuguese one has 398 pages and it has...73 lessons! So, maybe the content within each lesson has been abridged, or maybe not, it's just the fonts that are smaller, who knows. Have you managed to find online copies of the Italian and French editions on these forums? ^^

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 155 of 360
08 May 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
The trouble with libraries are the fees for late returns. As I have less time for
reading/language studying, I tend to return books very late so the economical advantage
fades away. And I cannot make notes in the coursebooks etc. So I like to buy things. Or
download ;-)

Have you found any online bookshop with Swedish books which would ship them to the rest
of Europe? And Swedish DVDs.

I am also the type of person who takes a lot of notes in study books, so it wouldn't help me to borrow such books from the library where I can't write in them. Therefore I prefer to buy such books.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 May 2013 at 9:55pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 156 of 360
09 May 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Yes, I make a huge difference between reading books and study tools that happen to be
books. I tried to make notes into a short and very cheap Simenon novel, but it felt so
wrong. On the other hand, my language textbooks/workbooks/reference books are full of
notes in pencil. And my university textbooks tend to be tortured with up to seven colours
of highlighters.

Thanks, Mareike, for the wonderful link. We don't have any such shop here. We have such
for quite a lot of languages but not the Scandinavian ones, we have only libraries for
those.

I know of one library which suspends instead of being greedy. I wish all adopted this
approach.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 157 of 360
09 May 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Congratulations, you seem to be making great progress. I have never heard of libraries suspending people in
stead of fining them, but of course the best is to return them within the set time limit. I must admit I have
payed my fair share of fines in my time.

What level would you say you are at right now?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 158 of 360
09 May 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator
Expugnator wrote:
[...] Have you managed to find online copies of the Italian and French editions on these forums? ^^

Actually, they didn’t seem like that kind of forums, but I haven’t been searching at all thoroughly. If your Italian is up to scratch (or with a little help from Google Translate), and you are interested, you can read the threads from which I gleaned the information above here and here.

@Fasulye
Hej Fasulye!
Nice of you to drop by my log! Thank you!

@Mareike
Thank you for the link. I’ve had a look at that site and I’ve bookmarked it. It’s certainly a resource that may come in handy sooner or later.

@Cavesa and whoever else is interested in online bookshops for Swedish books

I’ve spent some time last night looking for a Swedish online bookshop that ships abroad and I’ve found bokus.com. The site seems promising, but as I said before, I’ve never bought books from them, so I can’t judge their services until I do. But if anyone has already used it, I would be very interested in knowing how your shopping experience was.

@Cristina
Hej, Cristina!
Trevlig att se dig igen på forumet. Hur står det till? Jag hoppas att du mår bättre!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[...] What level would you say you are at right now?

I wish I knew! My level is all over the place: reading and listening are fairly good and I don’t have many problems following a radio programme or a tv-series. And already three years ago (see post nr 5 in this thread) I would have been able to fake my way into a B1+ course using a standard placement test. But truth be told, I’m only certain that I’ve covered and properly learnt up to the equivalent of CEFR level A1 or A1/A2 at most.

So I’m in a kind of nowhere land, where my active and passive skills are really imbalanced. But I’m working on that, and I’m in no hurry, so I’m rather optimist of the outcome: as long as I keep enjoying myself working on my Swedish, one day I’ll reach a satisfying level.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 159 of 360
09 May 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I've studied from Il nuovo russo senza sforzo, so, yes, I can read Italian more or less so ^^ I just don't activate it as much as I do with French. The book doesn't seem to be online, though.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 160 of 360
13 May 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
The last week was mostly about Swedish: I’m overdosing on Swedish TV right now, trying to finish the TV-series I’m watching before it disappears from the SVTPlayer.

I’m actually trying a little experiment, i.e. watching each episode first without subtitles and then with subtitles (and finally, time permitting, I’d like to watch all the series through one more time) to see how big a difference in comprehension the use of subtitles makes. I’m rather satisfied with the results so far; the only problem with the experiment is that it takes quite a lot of time, and so all other languages are being rather neglected at the moment.

Minutes studied in the week of May 5-12 (and in 2013):

Russian: 90 (3745)
Swedish: 545 (3045)
Japanese: 140 (840)
German: 0 (380)
French: 0 (195)
Chinese: 0 (20)

Edited by Emme on 13 May 2013 at 8:00pm

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version