Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 314 of 360
01 September 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
What a nice selection of German material! I'm bookmarking it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3996 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 315 of 360
02 September 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
My hat off.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 316 of 360
02 September 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
@jeff_lindqvist, @BAnna, @Cavesa, @Expugnator, and @Sarnek

Thank you!

BAnna wrote:
Any particular ones you would recommend in German? Thanks in advance :)

Since I don’t know your tastes, rather than giving you specific titles I’ll tell you where I find my materials. I would suggest that you try to sample around and find out what you yourself enjoy most.

First of all I use the library a lot both for books and for DVDs. Some of the latter come with multiple audio tracks and sometimes I watch American or British films dubbed into German.

But mainly I use online resources for radio dramas and TV-movies.

I find radio dramas fairly hard since they don’t offer any visual clue. But it’s a great exercise to get you to understand German quickly without mental translation: you simply don’t have the time to translate into your native language! I recommend you to find an hour when you can completely concentrate on the language (no working and certainly no driving while listening), and you’ll probably be surprised by how much you actually understand when you let your mental barriers down and you immerse completely in German.

WDR is my main source of radio dramas. And if you download the episodes it’s even more convenient.

You can even subscribe to the podcast.

There’s another source of radio drama at BR, but actually I never tried these ones, because WDR offers more than I can get around to listening to.

If you need a free legal place to watch German TV I recommend using the ARD Mediathek or the ZDF Mediathek . In particular, here and here are the sections where you can watch TV-movies (at least a couple new ones every week).

Personally I prefer the ZDF Mediathek: the video quality is (slightly) better and you can always choose to use the subtitles if you want or need them. In the ARD/Das Erste Mediathek the subtitles are available only inconsistently.

Watching a movie with subtitles in German is a great stepping stone until you feel comfortable enough to get rid of them. Don’t hesitate to use them to begin with!

Good luck!

EDIT: fixed a link.

Edited by Emme on 02 September 2014 at 10:09am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 317 of 360
31 October 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
How time flies by!

In September I forgot my usual monthly update of this log, and this month I’ve waited until the last minute before remembering I should write down what I’ve been up recently.

Would anybody be surprised at all if I said that, apart from the Super Challenge, I haven’t actually had much time for languages? Sure, I’ve dabbled a little bit with Swedish, but the overall effort was truly minimal and mainly devoted to Team Asgard’s challenges. By the way, I’d better copy those here, so I can have a reminder of my work for when the team log sinks into the maelstroem of the forum in a few months’ time with the beginning of a new TAC and the formation of many new teams.

---

September Challenge
Genom åren läste jag i några språkläroböcker om hällristningar på västkusten och i lång tid var det allt jag visste om nordisk konst. Nu har jag läst flera Wikipedias sidor över ämnet och känner teman bättre. Det finns fortfarande så mycket att upptäcka, men det var en bra start. Jag börjar nu att se släktskap mellan svensk konst och den europeiska. Det var interessant, till exempel, att ta reda på Anders Zorns inflytande på Giovanni Boldinis verk.

---

October Challenge

Operahuset i Oslo ligger i Bjørvika. Området ser mot en bukt i inre Oslofjorden.

Operahuset byggdes mellan 2000 och 2008 och kostade 3,9 miljarder norska kronor. Byggnaden ritades av arkitektkontoret Snøhetta. Det finns två stora salar, en med 1 358 sittplatser och en med 400 sittplatser.

Taket är klätt med marmor och ser ut som ett isberg som stiger upp från fjorden. Operans tak är öppet till publik som kan gå och titta på utsikten över stan och hamn.

Byggnaden har fått många arkitekturpriser.

---

The Super Challenge is going pretty well, especially for the English part. I’m slightly behind in German, in that I haven’t yet finished the novel I’ve been reading this month. But I’m confident it’s only a question of days now.

Where I’m not very confident is whether I’ll be able to finish my chunkster novel (which I mentioned back in August when I started it) by the end of the year. I don’t seem to be very good at reading more than one novel at a time, and while the idea of alternating that tome with shorter books is enticing, I struggle to pick it up again when I let a few days go by. Maybe I haven’t yet been won over by the story, or I’m simply not good at pacing myself when it comes to really long novels. We’ll see how it goes.

Edited by Emme on 31 October 2014 at 7:57pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 318 of 360
23 November 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Ok! Let’s face it. Now I’m officially behind in the Super Challenge in German. In my last post I wrote that in a few days I would finish the novel I was reading in October. Actually I never picked it up again. Nor have I compensated with watching loads of German TV.

November is turning out as a rather unproductive month compared to the ones preceding it since the beginning of the Super Challenge. I did much less in both English and German, but it’s the latter which is suffering most.

In English I’m juggling a couple of novels (apart from that monster chunckster I started back in August and in which I don’t seem to be able to make headway) but as a strategy that doesn’t work too well for me judging from the results.

Maybe I’m just a bit overtired from the intensity and the furious pace with which I tackled the Super Challenge, or maybe it’s simply that autumn is draining my energies. I’ll probably take it slow now for a few weeks to see if I can recoup some energies, unless of course I happen upon a couple of novels of such readability that they reignite my enthusiasm and get me back to speed (which is the option I would very much prefer!)

EDIT: typo.

Edited by Emme on 29 November 2014 at 5:27pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 319 of 360
29 November 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
First a little gloating:

Double Super Challenge in English: Done! Yay for me! :-)

Yesterday I finally logged my 10,000th page read and my 180,000th minute watched for the Super Challenge, so I’ve officially achieved the Double Super Challenge which was the target I had in mind when I signed up in May.

Now a little moaning:

To be honest, completing the Super Challenge doesn’t feel like much of an accomplishment right now, given the fact that I’ve been working on it so casually in recent weeks compared to the previous months that finishing the Challenge was more the result of inertia than grit and enthusiasm.

I’m not sure what caused my drop in productivity. On the one hand I may be a bit burnt out from the stupid (as in “insane”) pace I employed from May to September/October, on the other hand I may be the victim of the unconscious phenomenon (I’m sure there’s a name for it) that makes some people lose focus just when the finish line is in sight.

Anyway, the Super Challenge lasts until December 2015 and we’re only 7 (out of 20) months in: now I have to decide whether I should consider my adventure with the Super Challenge concluded as far as English is concerned and so only continue with German or whether I should set myself new goals.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 320 of 360
29 November 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on completing the Double Challenge, Emme - it's a fantastic achievement
:) I have enjoyed following the list of books you've been reading in English; you've
inspired me to add some more Margaret Atwood to my wishlist!

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version